OTP while abroad

BenStark

7 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Yawn... pathetic... you're just looking to argue...

Simplest solution has been provided - this very same solution works in ALL countries if the Op wants to receive an OTP

- Wifi calling Enabled.

- Airplane mode on.

- Connection to Wifi.

- SIM remains installed in phone.

This is 100% effective at receiving SMS (OTP) from a Thai Bank while travelling anywhere in the world with an internet connection. 

It doesn't involve having to toggle roaming on/off.

It doesn't involve having to turn off Voice mail.

It doesn't involve having to specifically turn off Data Roaming.

It doesn't involve any risk of making a mistake and potentially incurring roaming charges.

IF the Op doesn't have access to Wifi what on earth would or could he be doing that requires access to an OTP code at that time ???... 

Agreed...  Try to be sensible instead of allowing your dislike for me to hasten your argument and cloud any intelligence you may have.

Another long winded snore fest. Congratulations!

The OP and anyone else reading can decide for themselves what is best for them. There is no reason for me to read your long winded ‘replies’, since I already know what works and what doesn’t. Totally asinine to depend on WiFi if it isn’t always available.  WiFi as a backup makes sense. WiFi Calling, as the name suggests…. if you want to make calls ????

• Thumbs Up 1

12 minutes ago, NextG said:

WiFi Calling, as the name suggests…. if you want to make calls ????

AND receive SMS over WiFi - it seems you have a fundamental struggle with this.

Now.... Argue that the solution I use on every overseas journey (thats about 10 per year) does not work ??... You wont be able to, because the solution works perfectly.

Name one situation where someone would NEED an OTP when there is no WiFi available ?

Edited by richard_smith237

4 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Now.... Argue that the solution I use on every overseas journey (thats about 10 per year) does not work ??... You wont be able to, because the solution works perfectly.

Name one situation where someone would NEED an OTP when there is no WiFi available ?

On the way to the airport?

15 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Depending on WiFi is loso. You have to beg for the password everywhere you go. I have a friend who does that and it's totes embarrassment.

Also WiFi calling just flat out doesn't work on some phone/networks so SIM roaming with data turned off and rejecting incoming calls is much, much simpler.

19 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

@richard_smith237

I thought I'd give that a go and there's one slight problem.....

Go into your link - in the "Turn on Wi-Fi calling" section, under "Use a mobile carrier’s Wi-Fi calling", Para 4 reads

"Tap Wi-Fi calling. If you don't see this option, it’s because your carrier doesn’t support this feature."

So not necessarily the answer for everyone.  It doesn't work for me, for example, but I've already posted my solution.; i was just experimenting. 

• Like 1

Just now, Lemsta69 said:

Depending on WiFi is loso. You have to beg for the password everywhere you go. I have a friend who does that and it's totes embarrassment.

Not quite: I usually have another phone with a local package to which I hotspot.

But realistically, the only time anyone will need an OPT is when they are doing something online (shopping or banking) and for that, they have the internet connection already.

Just now, Lemsta69 said:

Also WiFi calling just flat out doesn't work on some phone/networks so SIM roaming with data turned off

Which ? Wife and I have never had it fail.

(in any country we have travelled to - Wife uses DTAC - I use True).

Just now, Lemsta69 said:

and rejecting incoming calls is much, much simpler.

Why the need to reject calls ?...   because you are worried about getting charged to receive an international call while roaming.

With Wifi calling you can accept any call you want, you wont be charged. 

Of course, SIM roaming works (I haven't said it doesn't) my responses are primarily in regard to NextG arguing that the solution I use is not viable (we fell out on another thread and now he wants to argue with me in every thread - If someone else has made the same suggestion he wouldn't have responded at all). 

I've used SIM roaming before, but its more of a faff, knowing for sure the 'Data is turned off' and ensuring the the network turned off the data off roaming etc... And then knowing if I'm going to incur charges if I receive a voice mail etc.  Then when I'm going to a different country (Japan for example which has better rates for roaming) and actually activating data roaming (having to turn it all back on again, only to turn the same settings off again when SIM roaming)....  as I said its a faff.

Turning on Airplane mode is simple....  and enabling Wifi calling once done is something that only needs to be done once (whether travelling or not).

13 minutes ago, VBF said:

@richard_smith237

I thought I'd give that a go and there's one slight problem.....

Go into your link - in the "Turn on Wi-Fi calling" section, under "Use a mobile carrier’s Wi-Fi calling", Para 4 reads

"Tap Wi-Fi calling. If you don't see this option, it’s because your carrier doesn’t support this feature."

So not necessarily the answer for everyone.  It doesn't work for me, for example, but I've already posted my solution.; i was just experimenting. 

It's also possible that Wifi calling is automatic on your phone / network. 

To find out... Turn on Airplane mode (ensure you are connected to the internet / Wifi) and have someone call you / and send an SMS. 

If you receive it, you are good to go. 

If you don't then there is an issue with your carrier (due do being pre-paid possibly ?).

Just now, NextG said:
20 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

You can do that without an internet connection ?

You’d have your normal local SIM mobile broadband connection to access your bank account. Thai SIM to receive OTP. 

In which case you already have internet connection with your 'normal local SIM mobile broadband connection' and you can hotspot to that. 

5 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Not quite: I usually have another phone with a local package to which I hotspot.

But realistically, the only time anyone will need an OPT is when they are doing something online (shopping or banking) and for that, they have the internet connection already.

Which ? Wife and I have never had it fail.

(in any country we have travelled to - Wife uses DTAC - I use True).

Why the need to reject calls ?...   because you are worried about getting charged to receive an international call while roaming.

With Wifi calling you can accept any call you want, you wont be charged. 

Of course, SIM roaming works (I haven't said it doesn't) my responses are primarily in regard to NextG arguing that the solution I use is not viable (we fell out on another thread and now he wants to argue with me in every thread - If someone else has made the same suggestion he wouldn't have responded at all). 

I've used SIM roaming before, but its more of a faff, knowing for sure the 'Data is turned off' and ensuring the the network turned off the data off roaming etc... And then knowing if I'm going to incur charges if I receive a voice mail etc.  Then when I'm going to a different country (Japan for example which has better rates for roaming) and actually activating data roaming (having to turn it all back on again, only to turn the same settings off again when SIM roaming)....  as I said its a faff.

Turning on Airplane mode is simple....  and enabling Wifi calling once done is something that only needs to be done once (whether travelling or not).

Samsung S22+ with latest Android version and latest security patch. All the appropriate settings and permissions enabled.

Vodafone AU SIM which according to their website doesn't require pre-activation.

WiFi is True Gigatex fibre router, 500/500.

Airplane mode on AND WiFi toggled back on, which I had to Google seeing as how you didn't mention it.

No dice, just annoying "Turn off airplane mode to make this call" message.

I'm happy for you that it works out of the box but your experience is not universal. SIM roaming is the K.I.S.S. approach and has worked fine for me for the last two years and is most likely the least mess, least fuss option for the OP.

29 minutes ago, Lemsta69 said:

Samsung S22+ with latest Android version and latest security patch. All the appropriate settings and permissions enabled.

Vodafone AU SIM which according to their website doesn't require pre-activation.

Are you sure the AU SIM is active?

Have you recently sent or received a regular call with it ?

WiFi is True Gigatex fibre router, 500/500.

Airplane mode on AND WiFi toggled back on, which I had to Google seeing as how you didn't mention it.

1) Enable WiFi calling.

2) Keep the SIM in your phone but use Airplane mode (connect to Wifi).

No dice, just annoying "Turn off airplane mode to make this call" message.

It wont work if the SIM is not active.

Also, this is slightly different than the Ops question - as it appears you are trying to call out from an Australian SIM, rather than ensure you can receive OTP on a Thai SIM while travelling.

I'm not certain what network permissions are required (if any) from Vodafone Australia to allow Wifi Calling (its possible that requires network clearance).

I'm happy for you that it works out of the box but your experience is not universal. SIM roaming is the K.I.S.S. approach and has worked fine for me for the last two years and is most likely the least mess, least fuss option for the OP.

Both are simple - I do agree, IF for some reason Wifi calling cannot be activated, the SIM roaming is a perfectly viable option

That said, IMO - the risk with SIM roaming is incurring charges because something was not toggled off. With frequent travel this presents a risk. 

Airplane mode engaged presents assurance that any received calls / voicemails / data use is over the internet and nothing else. 

I've been burnt before: 

- iPad with SIM installed - Went to HK (left iPad in sleep mode - didn't turn it off) it used up 10,000 Baht's worth of data (expensive roaming charge and I didn't once even open the iPad) - my own fault, but the carrier was good enough to wave the charge. 

- In Malaysia (about 10 years ago) 2 phones, 1 using a local number, another with my Thai number. 

Turned on my Thai phone to check for messages and was bombarded with hoards of Multimedia messages from Thai News Network (carrier wanted to charge me 6000 baht for the data to receive all these messages) - carrier waved the charged as I'd never signed up for the news updates.

Airplane mode and Wifi calling = no extra charges because I left something un-toggled. 

• Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Are you sure the AU SIM is active?

Have you recently sent or received a regular call with it ?

1) Enable WiFi calling.

It wont work if the SIM is not active.

Also, this is slightly different than the Ops question - as it appears you are trying to call out from an Australian SIM, rather than ensure you can receive OTP on a Thai SIM while travelling.

I'm not certain what network permissions are required (if any) from Vodafone Australia to allow Wifi Calling (its possible that requires network clearance).

Both are simple - I do agree, IF for some reason Wifi calling cannot be activated, the SIM roaming is a perfectly viable option

That said, IMO - the risk with SIM roaming is incurring charges because something was not toggled off. With frequent travel this presents a risk. 

Airplane mode engaged presents assurance that any received calls / voicemails / data use is over the internet and nothing else. 

I've been burnt before: 

- iPad with SIM installed - Went to HK (left iPad in sleep mode - didn't turn it off) it used up 10,000 Baht's worth of data (expensive roaming charge and I didn't once even open the iPad) - my own fault, but the carrier was good enough to wave the charge. 

- In Malaysia (about 10 years ago) 2 phones, 1 using a local number, another with my Thai number. 

Turned on my Thai phone to check for messages and was bombarded with hoards of Multimedia messages from Thai News Network (carrier wanted to charge me 6000 baht for the data to receive all these messages) - carrier waved the charged as I'd never signed up for the news updates.

Airplane mode and Wifi calling = no extra charges because I left something un-toggled. 

tl;dr SIM roaming is the easiest method.

• Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

It's also possible that Wifi calling is automatic on your phone / network. 

To find out... Turn on Airplane mode (ensure you are connected to the internet / Wifi) and have someone call you / and send an SMS. 

If you receive it, you are good to go. 

If you don't then there is an issue with your carrier (due do being pre-paid possibly ?).

No no no!!!!!

If you turn on Airplane Mode the WiFi stops working - you then have to switch WiFi back on independently of Airplane Mode ( @Lemsta69 noted that above)

(This is of course by design https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Airplane_mode )

And you didn't read my earlier post where I said that my UK phone is a Contract SIM on Tesco Mobile (O2) https://aseannow.com/topic/1304767-otp-while-abroad/?do=findComment&comment=18308466

And the link that YOU posted said that some carriers don't support WiFi calling anyway.

Richard, you're trying to invent a complex solution to a non-existent problem. 

My solution has worked for about 5 years now so the proof of the pudding........

Between my and @Lemsta69replies lies the easy answer...as @Lemsta69 said K.I.S.S  ????

• Thumbs Up 1

7 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

In which case you already have internet connection with your 'normal local SIM mobile broadband connection' and you can hotspot to that. 

Your ‘no brainer’ is already a bit complicated isn’t it? So you Hotspot a second SIM on a dual SIM mobile? ????

I know that you desperately want to ‘win’ this debate. But you are fighting a losing battle. 
Reason being is that you are trying to discount using the simplest solution for most everyone. Free SMS receipt via International Roaming. There is simply no reason to eliminate that option when only SMS receipt is needed. 
You tap in a code or two or contact call centre and it’s done. IR on and data off if necessary. Nothing more about which to think. 
Whereas with WiFi Calling, the setup isn’t always straightforward and then you have to find a source of WiFi before you can receive your messages. Totally dopey as a first line of defence. Standard IR should be the first option with WiFi Calling as a backup. Whereas you are suggesting that they shouldn’t bother with International Roaming at all. Frankly, that is just stupid. 

Update on my OP.

Apparently I didn't enable international roaming before leaving Thiland, so my Thai SIM does not find a network connection here in Europe.

When I proceed with the upgrade this evening, and enter my card details, I get asked for the OTP, which I obviously don't receive, since my Thai SIM doesn't have network connection.

I click resend OTP twice, but of course, I still don't receive a code.

When I press the cancel button in that small window where I have to enter the OTP, it gets instantly approved.

Within the next 5 seconds I receive a message in the Kbank app that money has been withdrawn, and get the message from Emirates that my upgrade has been confirmed.

Thai bank security at its best.

• Love It 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

5 hours ago, BenStark said:

Update on my OP.

Apparently I didn't enable international roaming before leaving Thiland, so my Thai SIM does not find a network connection here in Europe.

I know you've solved your upgrade purchase issue already.

IF for some reason you need to get your OTP again (to your Thai SIM while overseas) there are a couple of options:

- IF you have the App for your Thai carrier installed on your phone you can activate roaming with the carrier that way (you'll need a Wifi connection of course).

- OR, you can receive the OPT via SMS over Wifi (with Wifi calling enabled). 

• Thanks 1

10 hours ago, VBF said:

No no no!!!!!

If you turn on Airplane Mode the WiFi stops working - you then have to switch WiFi back on independently of Airplane Mode ( @Lemsta69 noted that above)

(This is of course by design https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Airplane_mode )

Did it really need to be explained that after turning on Airline mode you have to turn on Wifi ??

Thats a bit basic... But go back to my first comment: 

1) Enable WiFi calling.

Lemstat69 failed to note that because he didn't read it.

Also, Lemstant69 is trying to do something different and receive an SMS from Australia while in Thailand & going by his wording [according to their website doesn't require pre-activation] I'm not sure his AUS SIM is even active. 

10 hours ago, VBF said:

And you didn't read my earlier post where I said that my UK phone is a Contract SIM on Tesco Mobile (O2) https://aseannow.com/topic/1304767-otp-while-abroad/?do=findComment&comment=18308466

You aren't the Op - it was the Ops Post I was answering when suggesting a solution to receive OTP from a Thai Vendor to your Thai SIM while travelling outside of Thailand. 

As Lemstant69 is doing, it seems you are also trying this in reverse (to received an overseas OTP in Thailand) 

Its a different issue,

10 hours ago, VBF said:

And the link that YOU posted said that some carriers don't support WiFi calling anyway.

Correct some don't (for example networks in the UAE).

Thailand Networks do - A Thai OPT can be received over Wifi anywhere else in the world. 

Some other carriers (from other countries) may not support Wifi calling, that does not mean Thai carriers don't.

10 hours ago, VBF said:

Richard, you're trying to invent a complex solution to a non-existent problem. 

Its the simplest solution I have found - I'm not sure why you find it so complex.

Perhaps because you are trying it in reverse, to receive an OTP in Thailand from the UK.

10 hours ago, VBF said:

My solution has worked for about 5 years now so the proof of the pudding........

Excellent - SIM Roaming works, As does the Airplane mode & Wifi Calling option.

I am not argueing that SIM Roaming doesn't work - I am arguing those who are suggesting receiving SMS over Wifi calling doesn't - and then create different scenario's to the Op (i.e. receiving in Thailand from Overseas - thats a different set of network permissions). 

10 hours ago, VBF said:

Between my and @Lemsta69replies lies the easy answer...as @Lemsta69 said K.I.S.S  ????

Both Lemsta69 and yourself have slightly different requirements in that you are attempting to receive OPT in Thailand on an overseas SIM and not receive a Thai OTP on a Thai SIM while overseas. 

For clarity, I've nothing against SIM roaming either other than there is a risk of roaming charges if you don't get the settings correct (and accidentally leave data roaming on or answer a phone call etc).

Edited by richard_smith237

6 hours ago, NextG said:

Your ‘no brainer’ is already a bit complicated isn’t it? So you Hotspot a second SIM on a dual SIM mobile? ????

You created a lot of 'whatiffery' in your attempt to argue that Wifi Calling is not a viable option. 

The only scenario anyone would need an OTP is one in which they are already connected to the internet making a purchase or online banking etc.

They will be connected to a Wifi network, or hotspotting to a second phone etc.

6 hours ago, NextG said:

I know that you desperately want to ‘win’ this debate. But you are fighting a losing battle. 
Reason being is that you are trying to discount using the simplest solution for most everyone. Free SMS receipt via International Roaming. There is simply no reason to eliminate that option when only SMS receipt is needed. 

I have suggested my solution which you refuted - its is those comments I contest for the Wifi Calling option is a perfectly viable solution, one which I find the better solution and has worked perfectly well for all of my travels over numerous years (UK, Europe, Middle East, Japan, all of South East Asia)

I am travelling overseas approximately 10x per year and often require receipt of my Thai OTP.

I also contest the suggestion that the Wifi Calling option is complex - I'm astonished that such a simple solution could be called complex when the step are so basic. 

- Get off the plane leave Airplane mode on.

- Connect to Wifi

- Ensure Wifi calling is toggled on (Thai networks allow Wifi calling)

(if you are trying with an overseas SIM (Lemsta69 & VFS - that is different).

6 hours ago, NextG said:

You tap in a code or two or contact call centre and it’s done. IR on and data off if necessary. Nothing more about which to think. 

Already more to do than Wifi Calling then...  no issues with that, SIM roaming is also a perfectly viable solution (with its own risk if you haven't correctly toggled of data roaming etc).

6 hours ago, NextG said:

Whereas with WiFi Calling, the setup isn’t always straightforward and then you have to find a source of WiFi before you can receive your messages.

If you need your OTP you are doing something on a Wifi network already.

6 hours ago, NextG said:

Totally dopey as a first line of defence.

& it is this response to which I am arguing.

6 hours ago, NextG said:

Standard IR should be the first option with WiFi Calling as a backup.

Yet with Wifi calling (and receiving OTP over Wifi) I have never found the need for SIM roaming once. 

6 hours ago, NextG said:

Whereas you are suggesting that they shouldn’t bother with International Roaming at all.

No, I have not suggested that at all. I have suggested Wifi Calling as a perfectly vaible solution which has worked perfectly for my Wife and myself over numerous trips over numerous years (at least the last 5).

6 hours ago, NextG said:

Frankly, that is just stupid. 

As stupid as dispelling someones solution because you disagreed with their opinion on a different thread. 

15 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

It doesn't involve any risk of making a mistake and potentially incurring roaming charges.

Mistake  - happened to me a couple of times.  Once 200$ roaming charges,  another time line went dead because credit was used up (only 30$)

IR is a bit dangerous,  you really have to be careful with your settings. Don't touch your phone too much!

That's why I still like Wifi calling,  or use a dedicated phone only for (free) OTPs from abroad, using IR.

Otherwise,  NextG is of course completely right.

40 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Did it really need to be explained that after turning on Airline mode you have to turn on Wifi ??

Thats a bit basic

It's not basic at all.

I didn't know this until last week. 

I was very surprised you can do this,  I thought Airplane mode switches off Wifi and didn't know you can switch it on under Airplane mode.

29 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

You created a lot of 'whatiffery' in your attempt to argue that Wifi Calling is not a viable option. 

The only scenario anyone would need an OTP is one in which they are already connected to the internet making a purchase or online banking etc.

They will be connected to a Wifi network, or hotspotting to a second phone etc.

I have suggested my solution which you refuted - its is those comments I contest for the Wifi Calling option is a perfectly viable solution, one which I find the better solution and has worked perfectly well for all of my travels over numerous years (UK, Europe, Middle East, Japan, all of South East Asia)

I am travelling overseas approximately 10x per year and often require receipt of my Thai OTP.

I also contest the suggestion that the Wifi Calling option is complex - I'm astonished that such a simple solution could be called complex when the step are so basic. 

- Get off the plane leave Airplane mode on.

- Connect to Wifi

- Ensure Wifi calling is toggled on (Thai networks allow Wifi calling)

(if you are trying with an overseas SIM (Lemsta69 & VFS - that is different).

Already more to do than Wifi Calling then...  no issues with that, SIM roaming is also a perfectly viable solution (with its own risk if you haven't correctly toggled of data roaming etc).

If you need your OTP you are doing something on a Wifi network already.

& it is this response to which I am arguing.

Yet with Wifi calling (and receiving OTP over Wifi) I have never found the need for SIM roaming once. 

No, I have not suggested that at all. I have suggested Wifi Calling as a perfectly vaible solution which has worked perfectly for my Wife and myself over numerous trips over numerous years (at least the last 5).

As stupid as dispelling someones solution because you disagreed with their opinion on a different thread. 

The other thread has nothing to do with it. I don’t even remember the subject of the other thread. Perhaps you think that you are special and that I should remember you. 
Again, your issue is that you are discounting the most obvious and most easy option. Activate IR and turn off data. Nothing more to be done. WiFi Calling can be activated as a secondary option. 
Do you see the difference? I’m not childishly making up scenarios to discount the most simple and effective option, in order to make a suggestion(WiFi Calling) appear to be the most convenient option(it is not). 

It makes more sense to have the option of receiving your OTP without needing a WiFi connection. But having the OPTION of getting them via WiFi is a good thing. 
So you will always fail because you are looking for a problem to fit your solution. Whereas I just look at the problem and look for the optimal solution. It doesn’t matter how long winded you make your posts, the answer will always be the same. 
IR and deactivate Data. Then they can play around with phone settings as much as they like, as there won’t be any charges at all unless they deliberately make a call or send a message. 
No need to have to turn on Airplane Mode and turn on WiFi EVERY time you want to receive an SMS ????????‍♂️ even after you have enabled WiFi Calling. With IR and disabling data, it’s done. No more having to play with phone settings nor concern that you might hit the wrong setting. 

My suggestion when utilising WiFi Calling would be to not bother using Airplane Mode at all, but to disable data from the source, the SIM. 
For some people it might not work as expected when enabling Airplane Mode and then enabling WiFi alone. Best to eliminate the Airplane Mode step altogether. 
Disable data on leaving and enable it on your return. 
OTP will arrive automatically when a mobile signal is present and also when you have a WiFi connection if WiFi Calling is enabled. Belt and braces. 

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, richard_smith237 said:

Thats a bit basic... But go back to my first comment: 

1) Enable WiFi calling.

Lemstat69 failed to note that because he didn't read it.

Also, Lemstant69 is trying to do something different and receive an SMS from Australia while in Thailand & going by his wording [according to their website doesn't require pre-activation] I'm not sure his AUS SIM is even active. 

You aren't the Op - it was the Ops Post I was answering when suggesting a solution to receive OTP from a Thai Vendor to your Thai SIM while travelling outside of Thailand. 

As Lemstant69 is doing, it seems you are also trying this in reverse (to received an overseas OTP in Thailand) 

Its a different issue,

Correct some don't (for example networks in the UAE).

Thailand Networks do - A Thai OPT can be received over Wifi anywhere else in the world. 

Some other carriers (from other countries) may not support Wifi calling, that does not mean Thai carriers don't.

Its the simplest solution I have found - I'm not sure why you find it so complex.

Perhaps because you are trying it in reverse, to receive an OTP in Thailand from the UK.

Excellent - SIM Roaming works, As does the Airplane mode & Wifi Calling option.

I am not argueing that SIM Roaming doesn't work - I am arguing those who are suggesting receiving SMS over Wifi calling doesn't - and then create different scenario's to the Op (i.e. receiving in Thailand from Overseas - thats a different set of network permissions). 

Both Lemsta69 and yourself have slightly different requirements in that you are attempting to receive OPT in Thailand on an overseas SIM and not receive a Thai OTP on a Thai SIM while overseas. 

For clarity, I've nothing against SIM roaming either other than there is a risk of roaming charges if you don't get the settings correct (and accidentally leave data roaming on or answer a phone call etc).

Airplane Mode is designed to turn ALL communications off - you and I knew you could override it but I'd guess most non-technical people don't - partly because of the way it's presented.

I've simply covered both possible scenarios between Thailand and UK for completeness and because I have tried and tested both.. 

I didn't know that all Thailand Networks do accept WiFi calling - fair enough - I just knew that some others don't.

I don't personally have an issue with the "complexity" - again, non-technical people might.

Edited by VBF

49 minutes ago, NextG said:

The other thread has nothing to do with it. I don’t even remember the subject of the other thread. Perhaps you think that you are special and that I should remember you. 
Again, your issue is that you are discounting the most obvious and most easy option. Activate IR and turn off data. Nothing more to be done. WiFi Calling can be activated as a secondary option. 
Do you see the difference? I’m not childishly making up scenarios to discount the most simple and effective option, in order to make a suggestion(WiFi Calling) appear to be the most convenient option(it is not). 

It makes more sense to have the option of receiving your OTP without needing a WiFi connection. But having the OPTION of getting them via WiFi is a good thing. 
So you will always fail because you are looking for a problem to fit your solution. Whereas I just look at the problem and look for the optimal solution. It doesn’t matter how long winded you make your posts, the answer will always be the same. 
IR and deactivate Data. Then they can play around with phone settings as much as they like, as there won’t be any charges at all unless they deliberately make a call or send a message. 
No need to have to turn on Airplane Mode and turn on WiFi EVERY time you want to receive an SMS ????????‍♂️ even after you have enabled WiFi Calling. With IR and disabling data, it’s done. No more having to play with phone settings nor concern that you might hit the wrong setting. 

"Activate IR and turn off data" is my solution too.

On my Thai phone, I've NEVER had data as part of my package so it's not a problem.

On my UK phone Data ROAMING has always been switched off on the phone so when in UK I get data as part of my monthly package and when outside UK I just see a small warning notification that Data Roaming is disabled. 

As i said earlier this combination allows "otp-while-abroad" simply and effectively and is free.

I really don't see that accidentally turning Data Roaming on is an issue - it's several levels down in the Settings and you have to WANT to enable it to do so.

Edited by VBF