Thai tourism faces strain from sluggish Chinese, Japanese economies

webfact

18 minutes ago, jaideedave said:

My step daughter works at King Power and she tells me sales are way way down. Previously busloads of Chinese would arrive and some were good spenders. Not any more. These times they are juggling staff and inventory . It appears they bet everything to remain the same. She is now looking for another job and she's been there a while.

Doubt she will get anything better than King Power. 

My wife quit from a Japanese company 1 year ago thinking it would be easy for her. She changed 2 jobs with a lower salary. Only by pure luck because I told her to put her resume on LinkedIn did she get hired remotely by US company 5 months ago. But even then although the salary is higher, all the benefits like healthcare and provident fund are gone.

I know King Power has both because one of her friends works there.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

8 minutes ago, Celsius said:

Doubt she will get anything better than King Power. 

My wife quit from a Japanese company 1 year ago thinking it would be easy for her. She changed 2 jobs with a lower salary. Only by pure luck because I told her to put her resume on LinkedIn did she get hired remotely by US company 5 months ago. But even then although the salary is higher, all the benefits like healthcare and provident fund are gone.

I know King Power has both because one of her friends works there.

Yes, I'm not knocking KP she's done well by them. Pre - covid they promoted her to Supervisor.( Pattaya) After CV they hired a ton of new employees anticipating pre CV sales which never materialized.Even her manager suggested things were not looking good and if she had the opportunity to move on to take it.

She's just testing the waters at this stage. She went to uni in BKK and has some valuable contacts there who have keeping her informed of any good jobs there.

If airfares drop it might encourage more tourists but on my recent trip to the U.K. the flights were more or less full  both ways in economy therefore fares are not going be reduced by airlines.

I travelled Business Class from Dubai to BKK, A380 handful of passengers in Business Class, 2 in First Class no idea how Emirates make money on that flight. On a side note the food was disgusting, economy meal served on plates but it appeared to have been reheated several times over. I have sent a complaint to Emirates but no reply as yet.

• Sad 1
  • Haha 2

2 minutes ago, Jumbo1968 said:

If airfares drop it might encourage more tourists but on my recent trip to the U.K. the flights were more or less full  both ways in economy therefore fares are not going be reduced by airlines.

I travelled Business Class from Dubai to BKK, A380 handful of passengers in Business Class, 2 in First Class no idea how Emirates make money on that flight. On a side note the food was disgusting, economy meal served on plates but it appeared to have been reheated several times over. I have sent a complaint to Emirates but no reply as yet.

I wonder how many of these full flights contain passengers who are merely in transit. I've many times been on full flights from Europe but seen only 50 or so people collecting luggage.

Only TCT, TAT and THA dared to  dream up predictions different to the blatantly obvious.

Chinese group-tour-hordes only put money into Chinese owned businesses, no real gains for Thailand.

The independent travellers market is where the money is, sanity NOT vanity.

Poor recent publicity for Thailand with tourism incidents and political wobbles only add to the misery.

All that before you factor in the world wide problems effecting long-haul tourism in particular.

Edited by pookett
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

4 minutes ago, Bangkok Barry said:

I wonder how many of these full flights contain passengers who are merely in transit. I've many times been on full flights from Europe but seen only 50 or so people collecting luggage.

I flew from Utapao to Dubai, looked arabic families people returning home, Fight from Newcastle to Dubai was tourists, Dubai to BKK looked a mixture of returning Thais and tourists.

I holidayed in Thailand this month from the UK. While flights out and back, (Eva Air - LHR / BKK), were full, Brits were a minority on both flights.

Here in the UK we have high inflation, GBP exchange rates are rubbish compared to last 20years averages, for many people stagnant / declining wages are a reality, (I was made redundant 2 weeks before flying out), and airfares to SE Asia are ridiculous compared to heading westwards. In my circle the only people I know going to Thailand or long haul are those who have family in Thailand, or who are well-off. People on £40k  / year simply can't afford long haul family holidays anymore...

5 hours ago, retarius said:

'Hope is not a strategy' as is widely quoted. TAT, TCT and THA are filled with hopers, not strategists. In business one should always anticipate bad things and plan so that it does not kill off your business, because bad things do happen from time to time.

When all else fails they have Buddha...  ????

• Haha 1

5 hours ago, webfact said:

Tourism operators in Thailand are facing significant challenges due to the sluggish economies of China and Japan and an uneven recovery in Thai tourism that benefits larger operators

Then I suggest you think outside of the box...

9 minutes ago, Trip Hop said:

The flights are fairly full because to the best of my knowledge, none of the major airlines have reinstated their full pre-covid schedules? I used to fly Qatar Airways from the UK with a short transit in Doha for a reasonable price. Since BA have stopped flying direct to BKK and are sharing with Qatar, a one stop with Qatar is dearer than a direct with Thai. Until one of the majors breaks rank and reinstates their full schedule, we are stuck with high prices as the airlines will most probably be happy to take a slightly reduced profit for less risk. Add this to the exchange rate of the last 4-5 years and Thailand is no longer a cheap destination. 

For some reason B.A. said they won’t reinstate the direct flight from Heathrow, could be it’s not profitable only 1 flight a day and having to use 2 flight crews. When used the flight pre Covid it was more or less full.

• Thumbs Up 1