Thai Airways takes off in new direction with operational shake-up

snoop1130

Retouch-B777-300-Hi-Res-copy-916x516-1.jpg

Thai Airways International (THAI) Public Company Limited today announced several operational changes. THAI will use Airbus A320 aircraft for routes formerly managed by THAI Smile Airways: Ahmedabad, Kaohsiung, and Penang. The A320s will also fly to Kolkata, a route currently operated by THAI. Changes begin on September 1 for Ahmedabad and October 15 for Kolkata.

The detailed flight schedule is as follows:

Starting with Ahmedabad, the Bangkok-Ahmedabad route will operate seven flights per week.

Flight TG343 will depart from Bangkok at 8.30pm and land in Ahmedabad at 11.55pm local time. From October 29, 2023, the departure time will adjust slightly to 8.35pm, maintaining the same arrival time.

The return flight, TG344, will leave Ahmedabad at 12.55am local time, arriving in Bangkok at 6.55am.

The Bangkok-Kaohsiung route operates seven flights weekly.

Flight TG630 departs Bangkok at 11.45am, arriving in Kaohsiung at 4.15pm local time. Starting October 29, the departure shifts slightly to 11.55am while the arrival time remains the same.

By Alex Morgan

Caption: Photo courtesy of Business Traveller

Full Story: https://thethaiger.com/news/world/aviation/thai-airways-switches-airbus-a320-operations-to-four-destinations

-- The Thaiger 2023-09-01

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

• Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, mark131v said:

Just flown with Thai to Manchester return and will not be doing so again, reason I did this time is because they where cheapest, guess it's true, you get what you pay for!

They used to be my go to airline in the early days as they flew direct but I wouldn't use even for a direct flight

Why? dirty aircraft seat back and table had old food stains on it, cramped and dated, poor in flight entertainment system, uncomfortable seats with no leg room and crap food and service

I may have been spoiled by using Emirates and Qatar lately but won't be using Thai again....

Me too.

Often fly BKK ~ HKG return.

Used to try Thai pre Covid on occasions as Thai wife liked.their food/language etc.

But tried them once earlier this year.

Prices similar to Emirates but EK outshine them (on the A380) in comfort,  food, wine, big touchscreen entertainment and friendly service.

Thai were an hour late on each leg, many days apart.

Emirates pushback and departure /arrivals are spot on schedule.

Flex ticket and 35kgs baggage (TG 30kgs)

EK usually have staff speaking  up to 14 languages on the A380.

Thai ?????

Think I'm sticking with EK.

THAI have "dropped the ball "

• Thumbs Up 1

46 minutes ago, orchidfan said:

Me too.

Often fly BKK ~ HKG return.

Used to try Thai pre Covid on occasions as Thai wife liked.their food/language etc.

But tried them once earlier this year.

Prices similar to Emirates but EK outshine them (on the A380) in comfort,  food, wine, big touchscreen entertainment and friendly service.

Thai were an hour late on each leg, many days apart.

Emirates pushback and departure /arrivals are spot on schedule.

Flex ticket and 35kgs baggage (TG 30kgs)

EK usually have staff speaking  up to 14 languages on the A380.

Thai ?????

Think I'm sticking with EK.

THAI have "dropped the ball "

Couldn't agree more they beat them on every level but you live and learn....

Edited by mark131v

32 minutes ago, nauseus said:

Thai doesn't fly to Manchester. 

Sorry I quoted wrong reply but they do! they code share with SAS so 2 hour to Copenhagen then 11 to BKK they also do the same through Sweden as well but can't remember the name of the airport 

Edit looked it up it's ARN in Stockholm just thought of a positive that turned out not to be, the transfer time for both airports was about 40 minutes, sounds good but was horrible off one flight and rush to queue up for the next then onto a 11/12 hour flight 

Edited by mark131v

4 hours flight Thai business class to BKK recently:

Plane was hours late. Initially, it wasn't sure it would fly at all, a bit kaputt.

Mediocre lounge.

New business class seats are very small,  much smaller than the old comfy fauteuils. Traditional Issan girls (40 kg max) would fit in nicely. I couldn't lie flat - pitch is 183cm, about 10cm shorter than me.

Leg room is non-existant.

Arriving at BKK after 1 am, then a nice sightseeing bus tour "Swampy by night".

On the flight out of BKK it was "Swampy by day ".

Skybridges are for whimps.

Edited by Lorry

6 hours ago, mark131v said:

Just flown with Thai to Manchester return and will not be doing so again, reason I did this time is because they where cheapest, guess it's true, you get what you pay for!

They used to be my go to airline in the early days as they flew direct but I wouldn't use even for a direct flight

Why? dirty aircraft seat back and table had old food stains on it, cramped and dated, poor in flight entertainment system, uncomfortable seats with no leg room and crap food and service

I may have been spoiled by using Emirates and Qatar lately but won't be using Thai again....

I'm the same - misguided loyalty to Thai for seven years but now I fly Emirates (three trips this year) for exactly the same reasons as you.

I fly Heathrow-Phuket so I've got to stop somewhere - I would only reconsider Thai if they resumed direct LHR-HKT flights like they did during the Covid "Sandbox" - that was a very comfortable flight >>>>>>

211002_181433810.jpg

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, mark131v said:

Sorry I quoted wrong reply but they do! they code share with SAS so 2 hour to Copenhagen then 11 to BKK they also do the same through Sweden as well but can't remember the name of the airport 

Edit looked it up it's ARN in Stockholm just thought of a positive that turned out not to be, the transfer time for both airports was about 40 minutes, sounds good but was horrible off one flight and rush to queue up for the next then onto a 11/12 hour flight 

Yes, SAS fly to MAN.

• Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Flying to Manchester from Bangkok this Wednesday with Qatar as usual. A380 to Doha at the front of the aircraft, I am in economy but with legroom seat and then in business class to Manchester from Doha.

Looking forward to it.

I gave up with Thai a long time ago, I was a fan of EVA at one time but since I now prefer Qatar, followed by Etihad and Emirates.

You can't beat the Middle Eastern airlines at the moment, although all flights to the UK from Bangkok at the moment tend to be eye watering with the prices, except for Lufthansa and Austrian airlines who I have never flown with.

• Thumbs Up 1

11 hours ago, mark131v said:

I used Thai for my first trip to Thailand. They had I direct flight from New York (JFK). I could not believe the service compared to US owned airlines where the stewardesses were fat old hags with bad attitudes. Lovely girls waiing, bringing hot towels, clean, and with great food. Just fantastic all round. The airline was destroyed by greedy board members and incompetent executives. This "change" won't change anything, because the fundamentals and priorities are all wrong.

5 hours ago, scorecard said:

Yep, different standards. When they tell my 18 yo Thai son, in biz class, flying on most expensive class of ticket, 'Go and ask in economy', when he politely asked for a glass of coke. And when I complained this was followed up by 2 more waitresses being plainly rude and arogant. "what else do you expect, children should not ask for service". Singapore much better.

Absolutely agree, Singapore airlines is one of the top airlines to fly imo.  I use to fly Thai years ago, probably 30 flights to Australia return,  their food and service just kept getting worse month after month so I stopped using them,  now always Singapore or Malaysian airlines. 

I have just received my refund [Thanks] after 4 years.It's unacceptable to have to wait so long.But at least I have been paid.I had given up hope of ever seeing that money again

I used to love Thai flying out of Brisbane but they closed the office and there are no BNE _BKK flights .They lost all the staff members I knew.

I wont be using them again.They are a Potemkin airline these days.

Edited by findlay13
  • Like 1

"A380 to Doha at the front of the aircraft, I am in economy but with legroom seat and then in business class to Manchester from Doha."

I usually don't like the biggest, like 747, but after I flew Qatar's A380 I was impressed by leg room and everything else. Very nice and quiet plane! I used cheapest seat on AA miles.

The fact they needed 50min to load us up didn't bother me neither. I asked "How many are we?" He said "500. Full load is 550 for us but some can take up to 850!"

Wow...

10 minutes ago, Adumbration said:

The demise of the friendlyness and service by Thai Airways is just a mirror of the whole country in general.

TA has gone to the dogs...but so to has hospitality and service in Thailand.

LOS is now the land of snarls.

Not for me. Thais way more friendly than farangs.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

32 minutes ago, Adumbration said:

The demise of the friendlyness and service by Thai Airways is just a mirror of the whole country in general.

TA has gone to the dogs...but so to has hospitality and service in Thailand.

LOS is now the land of snarls.

Maybe only to you. To me and most other people This are still incredibly smiley, fun, and friendly. 

• Love It 1

1 hour ago, Burma Bill said:

Interesting - ditching Boeing 737s in favour of AirBus 320s?

Nope, not ditching anything.   Neither TG or Thai Smile fly 737s. They only have A320/321 in their narrow body fleet. 

If I’m flying short haul on any airline their aircraft type is a deal breaker. Airbus A320/1 or I find another airline. 

Edited by josephbloggs
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, Scouse123 said:

Flying to Manchester from Bangkok this Wednesday with Qatar as usual. A380 to Doha at the front of the aircraft, I am in economy but with legroom seat and then in business class to Manchester from Doha.

Looking forward to it.

I gave up with Thai a long time ago, I was a fan of EVA at one time but since I now prefer Qatar, followed by Etihad and Emirates.

You can't beat the Middle Eastern airlines at the moment, although all flights to the UK from Bangkok at the moment tend to be eye watering with the prices, except for Lufthansa and Austrian airlines who I have never flown with.

Agree, have just come back from the UK on Emirates. Would never consider Thai for long haul as they are so far behind the middle eastern carriers. Poor IFE is a major factor. 

I like them as a regional carrier though. If I’m flying to Singapore, Manila, Malaysia, Jakarta or anywhere less than a four hour flight I will choose Thai. Usually new planes (A350, 787), decent service, decent food - better than most regional competitors. But long haul? No way. Not even a consideration. 

• Thumbs Up 1

15 hours ago, Scouse123 said:

Looking forward to it.

Austrian business class is good.

Good seats,  friendly service, easy transit at VIE.

Austrians often fly Austrian (Germans rarely fly Lufthansa)

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

6 hours ago, Lorry said:

Austrian business class is good.

Good seats,  friendly service, easy transit at VIE.

Austrians often fly Austrian (Germans rarely fly Lufthansa)

Thanks all,

This has been useful and as a frequent flyer I will take on board your comments for future flights and definitely check them out instead of just glossing over them as I usually do.

Another poster has given me good insights into both Oman air and Gulf air for business class seats which have been available at far better rates than Qatar and Emirates.

I am Qatar through and through with a Gold membership but their recent economy and business class flights have been eye watering price wise, so I will definitely be looking around on future trips.

There comes a time where it becomes a balancing act of what the advantages there are with your loyalty benefits are outweighed by the better price of a decent business class seat.

• Thumbs Up 2