gerd and dietary supplement

steph83

Omeprazole absolutely should not be taken long-term. Omeprazole simply masks the problem but doesn't deal with the root cause.

Agree with the previous comments about changing your diet and not eating for a few hours before going to bed (or simply laying down).

While it may sound counterintuitive, one way to deal with GERD is to take Betaine HCL when you eat which increases stomach acid and helps to break down your food. Just don't take Betaine HCL is you have a stomach ulcer.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

I would try probiotics and sea cucumber extract. The Chinese have been using it for millennia. I use it for knee issues. It works wonders. 

The amino acids found in sea cucumber—namely glycine, glutamic acid, and arginine—have been shown to stimulate the creation of immune cells. These cells boost immunity and aid in the cellular response to invading infection or disease.

Sea cucumber is an exceptionally rich source of antioxidants. According to scientific research, key compounds found naturally in sea cucumber scavenge free radicals and limit oxidative damage. This has whole-body benefits including in the skin.

One of the most amazing benefits of sea cucumber is thanks to bioactive compounds called saponins. Saponins are bioactive compounds involved in the animal’s natural defenses. Research has revealed potential anti-cancer and anti-tumor properties of saponins, making sea cucumber a promising health ingredient for future study.

https://www.novaseaatlantic.com/blog/health-benefits-of-sea-cucumber-supplements

Sea cucumber, Stichopus japonicus, is used not only as an outstanding tonic food but also as a traditional medicine for the treatment of asthma, hypertension, rheumatism, anemia, and sinus congestion. The purpose of this study was to examine sea cucumber as an anti-gastritis and anti-gastric ulcer in HCl-ethanol-induced gastric and H. pylori-infected animal models. 

https://www.researchgate.net/publication/276052388_The_Effects_of_Sea_Cucumber_as_an_Anti-gastritis_Anti-gastric_Ulcer_and_Anti-Helicobater

https://www.sciencedirect.com/science/article/pii/S2090989615000223

This report suggests anti-cancer, anti-coagulation, anti-inflammatory, anti-fungal, anti-hyperlipidemic activity, anti-melanogenesis, anti-osteoclastogenesis, anti- oxidation, and other health benefits. I consider this to be a miracle food. Not sure how hard it is to find here. I order it from Swanson's Vitamins in the US. It is inexpensive. We also use sea cucumber oil for sprains, muscle aches, burns, cuts, bites, etc. Amazing stuff. 

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

16 hours ago, Lacessit said:

Night-time GERD can be avoided or minimized by changing eating habits. I was taking pantoprazole for years.

I do not go to bed until at least 3 hours after my last food consumption.

About half an hour before going to bed, I have half a teaspoon of baking soda in a glass of water.

I still keep a bottle of water by the bed to wash down any reflux. However, I have not needed it for several years.

IMO soda bicarb is a lot cheaper than medication, with much less risk of harmful side effects.

https://www.uclahealth.org/news/ask-the-doctors-you-should-know-the-long-term-side-effects-of-taking-ppis

Instead of drinking the horrible tasting water with baking soda, you could swallow a couple of small Sodamint tablets before bedtime. They are usually sold in pharmacies in Thailand at 150 Baht for 1,000 tablets. However be careful with baking soda (and Sodamint) if you already have a high sodium intake. I have succesfully reduced my daily salt intake, which also resulted in way fewer GERD and Heartburn situations. But a person would still have to find and avoid the foods and drinks that triggers GERD and Heartburn. 

• Thanks 1

Taking probiotics can help.  My wife has bad gerd.  They helped her to be able to stop taking medication.  You need stomache acid you shouldn't stop it.

She also drinks curmamax as needed.  You can find it on Lazada.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

@steph83

Was the Omeprazole prescribed by a doc, or self medicating ?

If you tried all that's been suggested, especially diet & sleeping habit/position.  Probiotics might help, especially if you are prone to taking anti bacterials.

If can't seem to solve it, within a month of experimenting, strongly suggest an endoscopy, to see what the problem is, if physical/medical.  After experimenting, or NOW.

Could be nothing medical, something simple, easy fix, hiatal hernia for instance, or something serious that needs your attention.

Are you a stressed out person ? 

• Thanks 1

I have had GERD for many years.  I don’t take your specific drug but a similar one each day.  My GERD is due to a hiatal hernia. You should be taking a calcium supplement.  The class of drugs we need to take can deplete your calcium level.  Which is what happened to me.  And a gastroenterologist confirmed this as the cause. 

• Love It 1
  • Thanks 1

13 hours ago, swm59nj said:

I have had GERD for many years.  I don’t take your specific drug but a similar one each day.  My GERD is due to a hiatal hernia. You should be taking a calcium supplement.  The class of drugs we need to take can deplete your calcium level.  Which is what happened to me.  And a gastroenterologist confirmed this as the cause. 

A message for the OP, @steph83.......this poster and a few others I know actually suffer from a hiatial hernia and if that is the main cause of your GERD then perhaps the only cure will be surgery to repair the hernia.

However please peruse the links I have posted below, because I cannot speak highly enough of the supplement d-limonene and how it worked for me........

Few studies that have tested if d-limonene reduces GERD symptoms in humans. Many of the existing research involves animals rather than human participants.

For example, a 2019 animal study demonstrated the protective effects of d-limonene on the gastrointestinal system in rats. The authors suggested that d-limonene produces its beneficial effect by increasing mucus production and regulating the inflammatory and immune responses.

A 2022 studyTrusted Source also mentions two human clinical trials in which participants with GERD “significantly benefitted” from taking d-limonene. These trials took place under a United States patent in 2002.

https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/d-limonene-for-gerd#does-it-help

Does D-limonene work for GERD?
Being a solvent of cholesterol, d-limonene has been used clinically to dissolve cholesterol-containing gallstones. Because of its gastric acid neutralizing effect and its support of normal peristalsis, it has also been used for relief of heartburn and gastroesophageal reflux (GERD).

D-Limonene: safety and clinical applications - PubMed
https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/18072821/#:~:text=Being a solvent of cholesterol,and gastroesophageal reflux (GERD).

Millions of Americans suffer from heartburn and gastro-esophageal reflux disease (GERD), which can increase the risk of certain cancers. A novel, inexpensive, all-natural extract derived from orange peel oil provides significant relief from heartburn symptoms for up to six months at a time!
Scientifically reviewed by: Dr. Gary Gonzalez, MD, in August 2023. Written by: Russell Martin.

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, xylophone said:

A message for the OP, @steph83.......this poster and a few others I know actually suffer from a hiatial hernia and if that is the main cause of your GERD then perhaps the only cure will be surgery to repair the hernia.

However please peruse the links I have posted below, because I cannot speak highly enough of the supplement d-limonene and how it worked for me........

Few studies that have tested if d-limonene reduces GERD symptoms in humans. Many of the existing research involves animals rather than human participants.

For example, a 2019 animal study demonstrated the protective effects of d-limonene on the gastrointestinal system in rats. The authors suggested that d-limonene produces its beneficial effect by increasing mucus production and regulating the inflammatory and immune responses.

A 2022 studyTrusted Source also mentions two human clinical trials in which participants with GERD “significantly benefitted” from taking d-limonene. These trials took place under a United States patent in 2002.

https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/d-limonene-for-gerd#does-it-help

Does D-limonene work for GERD?
Being a solvent of cholesterol, d-limonene has been used clinically to dissolve cholesterol-containing gallstones. Because of its gastric acid neutralizing effect and its support of normal peristalsis, it has also been used for relief of heartburn and gastroesophageal reflux (GERD).

D-Limonene: safety and clinical applications - PubMed
https://pubmed.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/18072821/#:~:text=Being a solvent of cholesterol,and gastroesophageal reflux (GERD).

Millions of Americans suffer from heartburn and gastro-esophageal reflux disease (GERD), which can increase the risk of certain cancers. A novel, inexpensive, all-natural extract derived from orange peel oil provides significant relief from heartburn symptoms for up to six months at a time!
Scientifically reviewed by: Dr. Gary Gonzalez, MD, in August 2023. Written by: Russell Martin.

Thanks for your advice Mate, i have a hiatial hernia.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, swm59nj said:

Thanks, i have a hiatal hernia too. Which drug do you use please ?

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, KhunLA said:

@steph83

Was the Omeprazole prescribed by a doc, or self medicating ?

If you tried all that's been suggested, especially diet & sleeping habit/position.  Probiotics might help, especially if you are prone to taking anti bacterials.

If can't seem to solve it, within a month of experimenting, strongly suggest an endoscopy, to see what the problem is, if physical/medical.  After experimenting, or NOW.

Could be nothing medical, something simple, easy fix, hiatal hernia for instance, or something serious that needs your attention.

Are you a stressed out person ? 

yes i'm and i did an endoscopy already : i have s hiatal hernia and a gastritis. I care seriously what i eat but it seems that Omeprazole and Gaviscon is not very effective for me.

• Thanks 1

On 9/4/2023 at 3:29 PM, Xonax said:

Instead of drinking the horrible tasting water with baking soda, you could swallow a couple of small Sodamint tablets before bedtime. They are usually sold in pharmacies in Thailand at 150 Baht for 1,000 tablets. However be careful with baking soda (and Sodamint) if you already have a high sodium intake. I have succesfully reduced my daily salt intake, which also resulted in way fewer GERD and Heartburn situations. But a person would still have to find and avoid the foods and drinks that triggers GERD and Heartburn. 

I don't find the  soda bicarb distasteful, each to his own. Alcohol and fatty foods I would think of as prime contributors to GERD.

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, Lacessit said:

I don't find the  soda bicarb distasteful, each to his own. Alcohol and fatty foods I would think of as prime contributors to GERD.

Agree, and after a bit of a burping session, the instant relief is a welcome change.  Snoozing follows almost immediately.

Best advice I ever got, a bit of baking soda, mixed with warm water.  Easy, cheap, very effective ????

• Thanks 1

Hi there, I've tried all the information mentioned here in regards to acid reflux, so far nothing has worked. So I suppose my next step is a visit to a doctor and or hospital. So any suggestions for hospital treatment in Pattaya and the approximate cost. Thanks.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, NONG CHOK said:

Hi there, I've tried all the information mentioned here in regards to acid reflux, so far nothing has worked. So I suppose my next step is a visit to a doctor and or hospital. So any suggestions for hospital treatment in Pattaya and the approximate cost. Thanks.

You will likely need an endoscopy, and with it they can test for h. pylori.

While normally more expensive tan most, Bangkok Pattaya Hospital has a promotion price of 15k for this until the end of the month  https://bangkokpattayahospital.com/product/gastroscopy-colonoscopy-packages/

Unlikely to get it for less at a private hospital

Depending in results of endoscopy you might be best advised to see a doctor in Bangkok but wait till you have endoscopy results then re-post.

• Thanks 1

On 9/3/2023 at 4:51 PM, Graham Smith said:

I was advised by a consultant ENT that taking Omeprazole long term is bad for you. His advice was to take liquid Gaviscon for a safer and just as effective option.

Took it for 15 years, almonds got me off it, and gaviscon

• Thanks 1

Newly published study comparing turmeric and omeprazole.

A natural compound found in the culinary spice turmeric may be as effective as omeprazole—a drug used to curb excess stomach acid—for treating indigestion symptoms, suggests the first study of its kind, published online in the journal BMJ Evidence-Based Medicine.

Could Turmeric Be As Good As Omeprazole for Excess Stomach Acid?

• Thanks 1

4 hours ago, rumak said:

i have some new advice ( i used to go to baking soda as well .... before :::)  

i saw some videos about Apple Cider vinegar AND .......gerd, etc...... .

My links probably not welcome here ,  but i can pm anyone interested.

A google search for ACV  ...you tube....Dr Berg ..... and others.... 

if one wants to check by themself

And.... the informative videos by some Dr's  , regarding Apple Cider Vinegar make it very clear that the problem is not too much acid in the stomach.   Also there are explanations as to why the "acid refux" is most likely happenning .  ( food not digesting properly) .

Glad that someone else mentioned the "not too much acid"  misconception.