I won't wear a helmet, makes me look stupid

scubascuba3

3 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

Good marketing campaign currently, maybe should include images of the horrific accidents without a helmet.

Many low IQ farangs without helmets also

Screenshot_2023-09-03-18-44-42-215_com.facebook.katana~2.jpg

A good marketing campaign concerning Thai road deaths would be better served if it was written in Thai.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

30 minutes ago, jerrymahoney said:

When I see motorbikers here running or jumping a red light I say to myself:

The one you don't see is the one who kills you.

Is a high risk of loss of life and limb really worth the savings of one minute? If you answered yes, go to the back of the class. You failed the grade. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

19 minutes ago, scottiejohn said:

But I would suggest that only if it is a high quality/certified full face helmet and not some cheap knock off which could cause more harm than good.

But a helmet must be worn IMO!

Good point, I'm currently wearing an Index which cost 1,500 THB, I need to get myself a Shark or a Shoei.

• Like 1

I buckle my seatbelt as soon as I sit in the car - Automatic.

I put a helmet on before getting on my motorcycle just to drive to the local mom and pops.  Automatic.  Is that silly? 
In the time I've lived in the village, at least three people I know got killed on motorcycles.  All of them from skull fractures among other injuries. 

Do I think it should be The Law that everyone wear seatbelts and helmets?  Nope.  But I also think that a Darwin Award awaits many of them who may have lived out normal lifespans had they done so. 

Edited by connda
  • Thumbs Up 2

1 hour ago, spidermike007 said:

Is a high risk of loss of life and limb really worth the savings of one minute? If you answered yes, go to the back of the class. You failed the grade. 

But if I have eyes in the back of my head, doesn't wearing a helmet cover them up?

Edited by jerrymahoney
  • Sad 2
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, MarkT63 said:

Think you have just revealed your own IQ with your comment "any farang riding a motorbike in Thailand is " low IQ." ????

I have to laugh at many of the old farangs riding their Honda Waves weaving through the heavy polluted traffic with their little brown tatted ladies hanging on the back, many wearing shorts, tees and saddles. Only an idiot rides a motorbike in Thailand.

• Sad 5
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, rattlesnake said:

Good point, I'm currently wearing an Index which cost 1,500 THB, I need to get myself a Shark or a Shoei.

I did a dive and roll onto the pavement at about 30 kph. My 1000THB Index (came with the bike I bought) got some deep scars but my head was fine. 

• Like 2

1 minute ago, amexpat said:

I did a dive and roll onto the pavement at about 30 kph. My 1000THB Index (came with the bike I bought) got some deep scars but my head was fine. 

Good to know, I think they probably do the trick in most cases, but best to upgrade nonetheless.

3 minutes ago, Tropicalevo said:

There are 100,000's of people in Thailand who do not have access to public transport and cannot afford over-priced taxis or a car for their transport needs.

What is your magical solution to their problem oh wise one?

I'm talking about farang, not Thais. 

• Sad 4

Just now, Neeranam said:

I'm talking about farang, not Thais. 

So 'Farangs' who ride a motorcycle in Thailand are stupid, Thai's who ride a motorcycle in Thailand are not ?...

Where is your 'safety / stupid line'  ??? what about crossing a busy road ?

Could it be that some 'farangs' who ride a motorcycle have carefully evaluated the risks and recognise that their risk profile of popping to the 7-11 or nearby sports area etc is not as high as a young kid who street races the major roads while drunk at night ?

Per capita, I see more farangs driving carelessly, with or without a helmet. Trying to squeeze a large motorcycle in jammed traffic, driving too fast squealing in traffic packing a holiday chick ext…and another freaky thing is they compete with other farangs so to be noticed and I’ve seen some pretty stupid stunts. So in any case just wear the freaking helmet because chances are whoever is reading this is most likely in the greater per capita population doing dumb stuff on roads that they didn’t grow up on and don’t have the same level of adaptation as if they did.

• Sad 2

24 minutes ago, novacova said:

Per capita, I see more farangs driving carelessly, with or without a helmet. Trying to squeeze a large motorcycle in jammed traffic, driving too fast squealing in traffic packing a holiday chick ext…and another freaky thing is they compete with other farangs so to be noticed and I’ve seen some pretty stupid stunts. So in any case just wear the freaking helmet because chances are whoever is reading this is most likely in the greater per capita population doing dumb stuff on roads that they didn’t grow up on and don’t have the same level of adaptation as if they did.

Per capita ???? ???? ???? ???? yeah, like you really crunched the stats and didn’t make up a load of rubbish based on your bias….