Thailand’s food delivery drivers feel pinch as Grab, Line rack up losses

webfact

image.jpeg

Thailand's food delivery drivers say their incomes have shrunk since the end of the COVID-19 pandemic [File: Lillian Suwanrumpha/AFP]

Gig workers say platforms such as Grab and Foodpanda have cut their pay rates without explanation.

grab

Bangkok, Thailand – When Piti began working as a Grab delivery driver at the height of the COVID-19 pandemic, the 26-year-old Bangkok resident had little trouble earning a decent wage.

But after two years of delivering food to homes and offices, Piti’s earnings have taken such a dramatic hit that he is looking to switch jobs.

For the past few months, Piti says he has been receiving a starting rate of 38 baht ($1.07) per food order, down from 40 baht ($1.12) in the past.

Worse still, Piti says he picks up far fewer gigs due to a sharp rise in the number of drivers on the road.

“I used to earn about 2,000 baht [$57] per day, but now some days I earn just 900 baht [$25],” Piti, who asked to use a pseudonym to avoid retaliation, told Al Jazeera.

By Jitsiree Thongnoi

TOP: Thailand's food delivery drivers say their incomes have shrunk since the end of the COVID-19 pandemic [File: Lillian Suwanrumpha/AFP]

Full story: https://www.aljazeera.com/economy/2023/9/8/thailands-food-delivery-drivers-see-wages-slump-as-platforms-cut-costs

-- AL JAZEERA 2023-09-11

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

• Love It 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, webfact said:

cut their pay rates without explanation

Oo that's easy, running out of the external funding that their business model is based on with poor prospects of raising more. As another insinuated, initial generous rates to attract drivers subsequently cut, but I think we are past that stage.

4 minutes ago, mokwit said:

Doesn't that make you question the viability of t5he business model?

Absolutely.

And Grab finally realized it too. Desperately trying to include multi platforms, finance sector and whatever else.

Earning 60k at best per month as a motorcycle  driver, something is def wrong, compared to other occupations and average salaries in Thailand.

Grab should have a set salary of 20,000 (included 5k for gasoline) + Bonus 3,000 if driver reach a higher number of deliveries per month.

18,000 net is good salary for a motorcycle driver, compared with motorcycle taxi.

Personally i can't feel sorry for them when my girlfriend only earns 300 Baht for a ten hour day with short breaks.

Sounds like easy money for riding a motorbike between a food outlet and a customers home to me.

• Like 1
  • Sad 2
  • Thanks 1

This is easy mathematic. Tip or no tip, the thing was same then as now. The problem is that they believe that they are still all needed. During Covid, there was more work and need for more riders. Now people can go out again, and there is too many doing same work and therefore they do not get enough salary.

• Like 2
  • Confused 1

1 hour ago, spidermike007 said:

Sorry, but I don't believe everything I read. For many, who live in smaller towns the total cost is 120 baht for two dishes. Plus 9 baht for delivery. Who pays the 40 baht the article speaks of. I think that is nonsense. 

If it hurts you to offer the delivery person a tip, or you want to give them more, so be it. I will continue to show them kindness and gratitude. 

It is a common misunderstanding that the drivers get only the amount quoted as the delivery fee. No driver would work for 9 baht. Grab adds extra incentives for drivers from the commission Grab gets and even for very short rides the driver usually gets 20-40 baht. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

18 minutes ago, zig said:

It is a common misunderstanding that the drivers get only the amount quoted as the delivery fee. No driver would work for 9 baht. Grab adds extra incentives for drivers from the commission Grab gets and even for very short rides the driver usually gets 20-40 baht. 

Agree.

The driver earned 2,000 baht per day in peak season during covid.

If he works 12 hours = 166 baht per hour.

Lets say driver manage 4 deliveries within 1 hour = 41 baht average per delivery, before possible tip on top.

if driver work 2,5-3 hours he already earned more than what workers at hotel, 7eleven etc earn per day.

But hotel restaurant staff was often paid only 6,000 month, if not sent home, during peak covid.

Pity grab drivers? Get a grip.

Edited by Shop mak
  • Sad 2