Is it worth getting teeth implants at 81?

giddyup

3 hours ago, giddyup said:

Like someone said, if I knew I was going to live this long I would have taken better care of my teeth. I have now lost almost all my molars so chewing food has become quite difficult, so I have two choices, dentures or implants. Implants can involve bone grafts and obviously greater expense, but the idea of dentures doesn't thrill me either, like how long does it take to adapt to them? Anyone else had to make this choice?

I am 76 and my teeth are not the best anymore I also have problems with chewing my food now, so I took the easy way out and just get the bad ones repaired, which cost a leg and an arm even having private extra insurance. But I can't see the point spending too much for implants or dentures if I kick the bucket in near future. But that is only me.

• Thumbs Up 1

10 hours ago, GammaGlobulin said:

However, I am puzzled that someone told me you were in your early forties.

I wish!

I am younger than the space-age but older than manned space flight!

That should narrow it down to within about 4 years ???? 

Failing that you could look at my AN profile :whistling:

And yes, I'm one of those rare beasties, a farang with a Thai wife who is older than he is.

• Love It 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, Crossy said:

I wish!

I am younger than the space-age but older than manned space flight!

That should narrow it down to within about 4 years ???? 

Failing that you could look at my AN profile :whistling:

And yes, I'm one of those rare beasties, a farang with a Thai wife who is older than he is.

That would be an interesting story, how did you meet your wife?

18 hours ago, giddyup said:

Like someone said, if I knew I was going to live this long I would have taken better care of my teeth. I have now lost almost all my molars so chewing food has become quite difficult, so I have two choices, dentures or implants. Implants can involve bone grafts and obviously greater expense, but the idea of dentures doesn't thrill me either, like how long does it take to adapt to them? Anyone else had to make this choice?

I am 83 and have had upper and lower partial plates for well over 15 years.  They were well made and properly fitted.  Never an issue getting used to them.  Eat anything I want without any problem.

• Thanks 1

19 hours ago, Crossy said:

My lady (mid 70s) had (very expensive) implants.

When she had chemo, bone loss made them all fall out ???? 

She now has (slightly less expensive) dentures.

BTW she's all-clear on the Big-C, down to one CT-scan every 12 months ???? 

Good for her regarding her Big c tests. I wish her well. I've been asking the same question re dentures.. At almost ninety, is it worth it, or possible, to get my dentures upgraded to compensate for disappearing teeth? A gnawing issue.????

• Haha 1

19 hours ago, giddyup said:

Option #3

A blender and a straw

• Love It 1

19 hours ago, Jeff the Chef said:

I'm 70, have a full top set and a 90% of bottom set, had them changed every 10 years or so, top set is easy to get used too if they are made and fitted well, bottom set can be a bit iffy if you dont have any teeth left to help locate them. For me it takes about a fortnight to get used to a new set. but I've had them for 50 years.

My dentist has given me the same option as the OP.  However, if I go for the cheaper dentures option, they will remove my remaining upper teeth and my concern is what do they anchor the upper denture to.  My dentist said something about a magnetised plate. Does anyone have experience of this?

14 minutes ago, mikosan said:

My dentist has given me the same option as the OP.  However, if I go for the cheaper dentures option, they will remove my remaining upper teeth and my concern is what do they anchor the upper denture to.  My dentist said something about a magnetised plate. Does anyone have experience of this?

That still involves screwing the magnets into the jawbone.

IMG_9209-450x394.jpg

25 minutes ago, mikosan said:

My upper set are held in by suction, I think the plate is the key to it, mine are a sort of hard plastic with the teeth attached, if the dentist does his job properly when making the impressions of your pallet, the dental lab then make the full top set to fit your mouth correctly. Never had a problem with the top set apart from wear and as you age your gums recede and they become loose, mine needed changing after about 10 years or so. The bottom set are the biggest problem as far as fitting is concerned, because they are only fitted on the gums and any remaining teeth as anchor points. This was all done in the U.K. privately, by a Norwegian dentist who was part of an NHS dental practice. 

Edited by Jeff the Chef
  • Thumbs Up 1

If you like it...do it. Go for consultation at University Dental Clinic. They will check your gums and bones and give to a time frame. And also a quotation.

I think all better than a Golden Straw.

Although there a perfect dentures too.

I would not go for any decision just of majority here in this forum. ????

21 hours ago, couchpotato said:

Implants are costly (40-70k dependant on brand). Once the screw base is inserted, it can take over 6 mths for the graft to heal.

So time consuming and costly.

At 81 you may find dentures a better choice.

My experience of implants (German and 5 star quality), implanted in Bangkok, is nowhere near that. Talk to Dr Lily at Bangkok Dental Spa in soi 19 Sukhumvit.

Hi guys

I'm 77 now and have had three molar implants over last two years and don't regret it.

One in UK @ £2400 (100k bt) and two in Thailand @ 50,000baht each.

It's painless, have to wait three months for the bone to heal round the rawplug (implant) before the crown is fitted.

UK dentists are a total rip off now days. BUPA dentist wanted £1100 (46000bt) for a crown whereas in Pattaya 9500bt. 

I had a bridge replaced in Thailand for 24000bt. I didn't bother to ask a UK dentist how much. It would have been more than a business class return flight to UK return.

Happy days

I had implants for the first time at age 55, yes this is a tad shy of the 80's granted ... but ... implants are fantastic no matter how old you are.

I paid somewhere in the region of 1000 AUD each for mine (I have 5) and will get more should I need to replace old unviable teeth.

You say you have lost a lot of teeth and obviously have issues chewing and digesting.

If you have the money, dense enough bones, and dimensions in your jawlines that allow for implants then its up to you.

I love mine and having them put in has changed truly my entire mouth law behaviour and allows me to chew anything I wish. 

What we can eat is crucial to our health. Fibrous materials and a good steak every now and then keeps us healthy and vibrant so go for it I say.

Call Dr Lily at Bangkok Dental Spa. Soi 19, Sukhumvit Rd (right near Asok BTS).

She is a sweetie, speaks perfect English has served falangs for many years and is an expert superb dentist.

Tell her Philip from Sydney sent you.

21 hours ago, giddyup said:

Back in the 1960's I knew people in their 20's  who actually decided to have all their teeth pulled to avoid all the expense and discomfort associated with fillings.

That is as bizarre as a preventative double mastectomy. Don't do an Angelina! 

21 hours ago, giddyup said:

Yes, I did. Fortunately it was only 2 teeth on the lower right to start with. It depends on the dentists technician as to the fit. The second time was 2 teeth either side upper and the dentist was great but the dental tech required a lot more training. I refused to pay the second time, different dentist. It was eventually sorted when the dentist found another tech, a much better fitting and more comfortable. I believe dentist should keep photos of the dentures provided, it would give a better idea of what you are getting. 

It's a ways off yet, but I've been watching the inch worm progress for some years now.

https://mainichi.jp/english/articles/20230609/p2a/00m/0sc/026000c

As you can imagine they are not the only team in the race, whoever makes this work will be wealthy beyond the dreams of avarice.

Th holy trinity for expats in Indochina:

Fix Hair    - WIP

Fix Teeth  - WIP

Fix Dong -  ✔️ 

48 minutes ago, Tropposurfer said:

I had implants for the first time at age 55, yes this is a tad shy of the 80's granted ... but ... implants are fantastic no matter how old you are.

I paid somewhere in the region of 1000 AUD each for mine (I have 5) and will get more should I need to replace old unviable teeth.

You say you have lost a lot of teeth and obviously have issues chewing and digesting.

If you have the money, dense enough bones, and dimensions in your jawlines that allow for implants then its up to you.

I love mine and having them put in has changed truly my entire mouth law behaviour and allows me to chew anything I wish. 

What we can eat is crucial to our health. Fibrous materials and a good steak every now and then keeps us healthy and vibrant so go for it I say.

Call Dr Lily at Bangkok Dental Spa. Soi 19, Sukhumvit Rd (right near Asok BTS).

She is a sweetie, speaks perfect English has served falangs for many years and is an expert superb dentist.

Tell her Philip from Sydney sent you.

Should have mentioned, I live in Pattaya.

21 hours ago, connda said:

It's rather invasive.  How well do you heal at your age?  That's the question you'll need to ask yourself as the last thing you want to happen is not healing well, getting an infection, and......that's not a good position to be in at 81.  But if you're super healthy, young as spry as a 61 year old, then maybe yes.  Ask yourself that question and go with your intuition.

And are you taking aspirin for any heart condition. You won't heal well if you are.