Paypal...using my account in Thailand

Hello, haven't used Paypal for several years. Had a major hack problem and cancelled linked cards but looks like I am going to need it again. I just logged onto my account and still active. I think the linked address is my sons address in Australia and the linked cards are still active Aussie bank accounts. Will be buying from an online auction in Japan through an agent in Thailand. It is the agent actually asking for a paypal or credit card account so even though they are in Thailand I assume they use Paypal. Anyone know what the deal is now or is it just people starting new Paypal accounts with a Thai address or Thai bank?

BTW don't need any motherly advice on giving card / financial details etc. This is a major shipping company so as secure as it can get. Would appreciate replies from people know the current Paypal status in my circumstances  

You can use PayPal here as a foreigner, you just can't have a PayPal account with Thai details.

I still occasionally use my PayPal account when there is no other choice, but it's getting harder to do so. I'm sure once they fully realise I'm no longer resident at the address my PayPal account it registered at they'll bin it the same way the bricks and mortar banks did. Interestingly they haven't batted an eyelid for the 8 years that the account has been linked to an Asian (not Thai) bank account though.

• Thanks 1

41 minutes ago, JBChiangRai said:

If you are not Thai, then you cannot use PayPal here.

As I understood it, you could no longer hold a balance or link a Thai bank account if you are not Thai but could still make payments with a credit card. I just use my Canadian PayPal account in Thailand now so my knowledge on Thai PayPal accounts for non-Thais could be outdated.

1 hour ago, JBChiangRai said:

If you are not Thai, then you cannot use PayPal here.

Incorrect, I just used mine successfully. All of the addresses cards and phone number on mine all Australian details and I still have my Australian phone number

• Thumbs Up 1

27 minutes ago, Kenny202 said:

Incorrect, I just used mine successfully. All of the addresses cards and phone number on mine all Australian details and I still have my Australian phone number

He is talking about PayPal Thailand, so your answer is in fact incorrect.

1 hour ago, Kenny202 said:

BTW don't need any motherly advice

Ok, just remember that the contract you signed with PayPal is that they can hold onto your money or block the account for whatever reason. Since your account was once compromised and you want to have items shipped outside your country of residence it may raise additional red flags with PayPal.

As others have said it is practically impossible to use PayPal Thailand if you are not Thai.

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

39 minutes ago, Celsius said:

Ok, just remember that the contract you signed with PayPal is that they can hold onto your money or block the account for whatever reason. Since your account was once compromised and you want to have items shipped outside your country of residence it may raise additional red flags with PayPal.

As others have said it is practically impossible to use PayPal Thailand if you are not Thai.

To be honest, I am not that concerned. A condition of using this particular company is to register a paypal account with them. Should I proceed with the sale I will pay with a credit card or bank tfer

51 minutes ago, Celsius said:

He is talking about PayPal Thailand, so your answer is in fact incorrect.

No, it is not! Read the OP, that is asking if can use my Paypal account in Thailand. As you can read he has an Australian Paypal account. 

That can be used anywhere, but as a foreigner you can no longer open a Paypal account in Thailand and connect to Thai banks.

And that was exactly what the explanation you just quoted meant.

Edited by Gottfrid
  • Confused 1

Amazing how nearly every time now on AN a simple post turns into a massive bun fight...usually 2 people hijack the thread and a smarty pants competition ensues. I don't know why people who have no clue chime in and make comments when they clearly don't know or don't read the OP. Must be some very bored, disgruntled people out there

• Confused 1

you cannot use a thai based paypal account unless you are thai but if you have an overseas paypal account you can still use that, my aussie paypal account functions normally and I am able to use it if required, any money paid to me goes into my aussie bank then is sent to my Thailand bank account. Personally I have all but stopped using paypal as it is a huge rip off, they charge for getting money then use pathetic exchange rates to get even more money from you as well as telling us we are not allowed to add paypal fees onto the payments, paypal is one giant rip off

19 minutes ago, seajae said:

you cannot use a thai based paypal account unless you are thai

Really? I thought it's still possible but you need to do a bit of beauracracy nonsense like apply for Thai tax number or something like that. I forget exactly but when the messages came to me that things changed I just reverted to Aussie account and couldn't be bothered with what they were asking for. 

40 minutes ago, seajae said:

you cannot use a thai based paypal account unless you are thai but if you have an overseas paypal account you can still use that, my aussie paypal account functions normally and I am able to use it if required, any money paid to me goes into my aussie bank then is sent to my Thailand bank account. Personally I have all but stopped using paypal as it is a huge rip off, they charge for getting money then use pathetic exchange rates to get even more money from you as well as telling us we are not allowed to add paypal fees onto the payments, paypal is one giant rip off

You wait until someone hacks ur account and money starts to drain. Took me 3 days to actually contact a real person and that was only sheer luck. Meanwhile stupid robotic replies saying contact the seller, when the seller was the hacker. I hadn't bought anything for 6 months. Turns out was an "internal" problem. Got in, changed my password twice. Got the money back but the whole thing was an awful experience. Only using them now as I have no choice. Luckily I need to register a Paypal account but can still pay with visa card (which normally has less than $50 in it. The card linked to Paypal same

• 7 months later...