Living Without Passport?

I would appreciate some kind suggestions in advance.
I hold a retirement visa, and after ten years with my spouse in Thailand, I currently reside in a small town.
My passport was about to expire in October, and at the same time I had to renew my one-year visa, so in August, I sent the passport by a reputable Southeast Asian forwarding firm to my embassy in Bangkok. The parcel spent six days in Bangkok, according to the forwarder's online monitoring, after which it was "returned to me."
I did not receive the parcel. I lost my passport.
Since it is nearly impossible to reach the forwarder by phone, I begin by emailing their Thailand office and then their head office abroad.
They merely responded to my first emails with professionally generated "0" content that was wordy and ignorant, without offering me any genuine explanation or acknowledgment that the parcel had been missing, then stopped to reply.
After presenting my passport copy and the forwarder receipt with the tracking number to the police, I was given a report.
I then applied for a brand-new passport at my embassy. However, I have to wait around 2.5–3 months for it to get to me.
Thus, I currently have to: a. live in concealment for the last ninety days; b. reside unlawfully till the end of November since I am unable to renew my visa for the upcoming year in October.
Same, of course, for my spouse as she is a dependent.
I would appreciate any genuine suggestions. What can I do? Thank you.

• Confused 3
  • Sad 1

Can't you get your passport application expedited (check with your embassy if there's an "express" option), or a temporary passport/emergency travel document (check with your embassy)?

One thing's for sure, you'll need an original passport (it could be a temporary one though) to get anything done with Thai immigration. Don't even bother approaching them before you have one, so your best bet to avoid issues is your embassy. 

• Like 2

29 minutes ago, MakichGak said:

After presenting my passport copy and the forwarder receipt with the tracking number to the police, I was given a report.

If you have a tracking number google "Global Package Tracking" and look for a link to parcelsapp.com.

I have used it many times both international and domestic and results have been better than notifications from courier. With a bit of luck you may find the last movement or even the passport.

With a copy and a police report you should be ok till your permission to stay expires. It would then be up to immigration but I would suspect you will be given 7 days to leave the country.

You haven't said which embassy but the time scale would suggest the passport is coming from your home country.  I was in a similar position in 2014 and had to ask my embassy to expedite the passport, it arrived a couple of days before I would have had to ETD back to the UK. That gets a bit complicated if the passport from the application has already been printed.

I am in fact heading back to UK tonight to get a new passport to avoid any similar problems.

1 hour ago, sandyf said:

With a copy and a police report you should be ok till your permission to stay expires. It would then be up to immigration but I would suspect you will be given 7 days to leave the country.

There's nothing immigration can and will do if you don't have a valid passport of some kind.

You won't even get an extra 7 days; they certainly won't put the extension (or order to leave within 7 days) stamp on a copy. You couldn't leave without a passport anyway, and of course they know. 

At the very least, you need a temporary passport from your embassy. A real original document that immigration can stamp.

7 hours ago, MakichGak said:

Same, of course, for my spouse as she is a dependent.

I am not knowledgeable about visas/extensions but I'm wondering whether the experts can envisage a solution that involves the spouse applying for a visa and the OP being the dependent. Assuming she has a current passport and could meet the criteria.

Just trying to think outside the box - don't be too harsh if I'm being stupid.

• Confused 1

11 hours ago, MakichGak said:

I sent the passport by a reputable Southeast Asian forwarding firm to my embassy in Bangkok. The parcel spent six days in Bangkok, according to the forwarder's online monitoring, after which it was "returned to me."
I did not receive the parcel. I lost my passport.
Since it is nearly impossible to reach the forwarder by phone, I begin by emailing their Thailand office and then their head office abroad.

What's wrong with EMS? My embassy advises using EMS, so why you used a forwarder for a domestic postage?

• Thumbs Up 1

What do you mean by forwarding firm? Similar to Kerry, Flash? Do you mean an agency that helps with passport renewals? How did you arrange for your embassy to return your new passport? Did you give the equivalent of a stamped addressed envelope for the forwarding company? Did the embassy have to contact the forwarding company when the new passport was ready? When you say "passport returned" is that the embassy saying they returned your new passport or the forwarding firm claiming that they delivered it to you?

• Like 1

Could have, should have.  What’s done is done. 
You need to contact your embassy for assistance. That is what they are there for.  They for the most part handle situations like this.  I don’t understand why your own embassy won’t help you. Especially since you tried to do the right thing.  

• Like 1

10 hours ago, chickenslegs said:

I am not knowledgeable about visas/extensions but I'm wondering whether the experts can envisage a solution that involves the spouse applying for a visa and the OP being the dependent. Assuming she has a current passport and could meet the criteria.

Not stupid at all. It's called lateral thinking. I'm curious as well.

• Confused 1
  • Haha 1

10 hours ago, chickenslegs said:

Not a stupid idea, just not viable, unless she already has the 800k seasoned it would not work, also, the OP has no passport and to get a dependent extension he would first have to go to a local consulate and get a single entry Non-O, which he can't because he has no passport.

So while it might be possible to save her going onto overstay, at the moment the OP has very limited options