Drain pipes for kitchen? Blue pipes? Clean water only?

OneMoreFarang

18 minutes ago, transam said:

Why isn't electric feed cables in 2" blue pipe underground not OK...?  

It runs alongside the water blue pipe feeding the house......????

Idk mate. Maybe the standard Thai tradesman might come in the future to dig up the cables and put a break in the water pipe.

I have done like you, run my water alongside the electric - It wasn’t easy to get done, the suggestion from the contractor was he didn’t think it was safe to run water and electric in the same trench .. ? Wt? You think the if there is a water pipe breaks the electric will jump from a double insulated subterranean cable and a one piece 50mm pipe, as used by PEA and kill everyone? They come up with these myths all the time.

You didn’t mention where you used the pipe and it doesn’t matter either way - but like a good tradesman can save you cash, hdpe is as cheap as chips, comes in a 50m roll, way cheaper than blue pipe, no breaks and better if resistance. Im glad I found out, saved me a fortune running cctv / data / control / spurs all over the place.  

• Confused 1

17 minutes ago, recom273 said:

Idk mate. Maybe the standard Thai tradesman might come in the future to dig up the cables and put a break in the water pipe.

I have done like you, run my water alongside the electric - It wasn’t easy to get done, the suggestion from the contractor was he didn’t think it was safe to run water and electric in the same trench .. ? Wt? You think the if there is a water pipe breaks the electric will jump from a double insulated subterranean cable and a one piece 50mm pipe, as used by PEA and kill everyone? They come up with these myths all the time.

You didn’t mention where you used the pipe and it doesn’t matter either way - but like a good tradesman can save you cash, hdpe is as cheap as chips, comes in a 50m roll, way cheaper than blue pipe, no breaks and better if resistance. Im glad I found out, saved me a fortune running cctv / data / control / spurs all over the place.  

The blue pipes were laid close to the wall foundation, goes up the garden then goes under the house. Electric is then inside the brickwork that holds the loo and grey water down pipes from upstairs, branches off to the consumer box.

Been like it for 16 years now........????

1 minute ago, transam said:

The blue pipes were laid close to the wall foundation, goes up the garden then goes under the house. Electric is then inside the brickwork that holds the loo and grey water down pipes from upstairs, branches off to the consumer box.

In a normal country I would suggest avoiding mixing up pipes and pipe colors, especially water and electricity. Because a trained technician could assume that blue is water and no electricity.

But in Thailand it's not really a problem. It seems nobody cares if there are any rules how to do things. And people who are smart enough to understand the differences should be smart enough not to assume anything about any installation. 

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, OneMoreFarang said:

In a normal country I would suggest avoiding mixing up pipes and pipe colors, especially water and electricity. Because a trained technician could assume that blue is water and no electricity.

But in Thailand it's not really a problem. It seems nobody cares if there are any rules how to do things. And people who are smart enough to understand the differences should be smart enough not to assume anything about any installation. 

This is Thailand, near nothing is uniform......????

I actually worked on electricity mains and service supply in London (UK) over 50 years back, I can tell you, electricity supply even back then was very sophisticated and safe.

But ALL supply was in armoured cable, even into a house etc, may have all changed now though....????

18 minutes ago, transam said:

idk, its no big thing is it.

I will ask the electrician if I ever have the misfortune to see him again. He was one of the "Changs" that came twice to site to give a price, moaned about everything, didn't agree with what I wanted to do, talked the talk, and then when it came to the job couldn't do it - he decided that because he was on price, that it was ok to just vanish at 2.00 pm to go and squeeze in another job, leaving his tec-college kids to finish the job. After all the lectures about safety and not using blue pipe, etc this is what he left me with .. he was another one who didn't get an invite to the next days party.

image.thumb.jpeg.3e2ae65cfd3c36e67416c6f7bbdbaf06.jpeg

You say 16 years ago, was hdpe pipe readily available in Thailand then? even now people think its expensive and "dangerous" or troublesome (the mice will get into the pipe and eat the cable!) to bury cables, which its not.

4 minutes ago, recom273 said:

idk, its no big thing is it.

I will ask the electrician if I ever have the misfortune to see him again. He was one of the "Changs" that came twice to site to give a price, moaned about everything, didn't agree with what I wanted to do, talked the talk, and then when it came to the job couldn't do it - he decided that because he was on price, that it was ok to just vanish at 2.00 pm to go and squeeze in another job, leaving his tec-college kids to finish the job. After all the lectures about safety and not using blue pipe, etc this is what he left me with .. he was another one who didn't get an invite to the next days party.

image.thumb.jpeg.3e2ae65cfd3c36e67416c6f7bbdbaf06.jpeg

You say 16 years ago, was hdpe pipe readily available in Thailand then? even now people think its expensive and "dangerous" or troublesome (the mice will get into the pipe and eat the cable!) to bury cables, which its not.

Dunno, but no way critters can get into my pipe, this is how the supply starts......Oh, that overgrown mess belongs to the next door bit of empty land...????

1916227049_Electriccable.thumb.jpg.4f086375174291dc383282eb50f04912.jpg mess belongs to empty land next door........????

Interesting thread...I always wondered about the different coloured pipes. I didn't realise you could buy different wall thicknesses of plastic pipe.

I use one of the local hardware shops and we can usually figure out what I want or need, despit my lack of Thai.

Back in Australia, you would always go to one of the big chain stores because they were cheaper than local hardwares (if any remain). That's not the case in Thailand. Often the smaller/local shop is cheaper, or the same price, and offers better service.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, transam said:

Dunno, but no way critters can get into my pipe, this is how the supply starts......Oh, that overgrown mess belongs to the next door bit of empty land...????

1916227049_Electriccable.thumb.jpg.4f086375174291dc383282eb50f04912.jpg mess belongs to empty land next door........????

Yes, that's a snakehead!

Im not knocking you or disagreeing with you - there was a post on fb building group just this week where westerners were suggesting rodents can get into the conduit .. like they must be David Copperfield if they can squeeze through those little holes at the snakehead to munch away on your cable, surely there are some better things to eat.

• Confused 1

1 minute ago, Stevemercer said:

Interesting thread...I always wondered about the different coloured pipes. I didn't realise you could buy different wall thicknesses of plastic pipe.

I use one of the local hardware shops and we can usually figure out what I want or need, despit my lack of Thai.

Back in Australia, you would always go to one of the big chain stores because they were cheaper than local hardwares (if any remain). That's not the case in Thailand. Often the smaller/local shop is cheaper, or the same price, and offers better service.

Blue pipe and fittings cost peanuts in any supply shop...????

• Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, recom273 said:

Yes, that's a snakehead!

Im not knocking you or disagreeing with you - there was a post on fb building group just this week where westerners were suggesting rodents can get into the conduit .. like they must be David Copperfield if they can squeeze through those little holes at the snakehead to munch away on your cable, surely there are some better things to eat.

When that pole was hit by lightening, my cable supply was severed up top, PEA came round, got up there, stripped a bit of plastic off a live, wired my cable to it then wrapped sticky tape around it.  ????

I was ????, as I said, I worked on London mains stuff 50 years back and was appalled at their work practice.....????

46 minutes ago, Stevemercer said:

In principle I like small local shops.

But HomePro is also near my home and they have a huge selection of parts which I can see and select. The local mom and pop shop also has many things, but for many of the things I have no idea what they are called. That's what makes HomePro easier.

And then there is the delivery. I don't have a car and it's easy to transport a few parts with my bike. But if there are lots of parts, maybe "big" and heavy, then delivery is an easy option. 

On 9/18/2023 at 6:12 AM, thaibeachlovers said:

None of the Thai workmen my wife employed should have been allowed to do the jobs they got paid for, as incompetent. The gate they welded hinges on fell off the next day, the "electrician" didn't know what an earth was when installing the shower heater, the village "electrician" that melted 10 meters of cable, and lots more.

Whatever they did I had to redo it after they left.

My electrician wouldn't take my faulty water heater off the wall because he said he might get a shock.True.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

On 9/18/2023 at 12:20 AM, OneMoreFarang said:

Thanks

I guess because there is almost no pressure on the drain pipes the Class 5 do the job. Is there any good reason to buy thicker pipes? I don't care if I would have to pay a little more.

go with thicker wall for drain which has 2 benefits. avoids sagging in longer runs and also holds up better if you ever have to snake out the drain as it wont punch out the pipe. 

12 hours ago, willi2006 said:

Interesting. Their S trap is blue, so the manufacturers see no reason to differentiate between clean and dirty water. I guess it's pointless continuing to believe that the two should be differentiated, IN THAILAND, which is a bit sad, IMO. Meanwhile, in more health conscious countries when it comes to water in and out, the two are differentiated.

1 hour ago, thaibeachlovers said:

Interesting. Their S trap is blue, so the manufacturers see no reason to differentiate between clean and dirty water. I guess it's pointless continuing to believe that the two should be differentiated, IN THAILAND, which is a bit sad, IMO. Meanwhile, in more health conscious countries when it comes to water in and out, the two are differentiated.

Differentiate only if lower quality pipe is used for drains, dirty water.  No need if high quality clean water pipe is used for drains.

It seems everybody agrees that blue is the color of (almost any) water pipes in Thailand.

Coming back to my original post, it's funny that Home Pro writes in the description of all those blue pipes:  "Use with clean water only."

But then again, it seems most people don't read manuals or description. And with technicians in general and plumbers it's probably even worse. TiT. 

Thai workers for the most part are  utter cretins, I only use 13.5 bar pipe as it  will last longer especially if it gets any UV on it, I also spray paint them to stop that uv damage outdoors, each joint is sanded  down, then wiped with cellulose  thinners then glued with SGC's THICK glue not that pisswater in the green tins, that stuffs  junk, twist joints and hold for 30 seconds, dont use for an hour or so after gluing. On long  runs I use HDPE underground as no joints but again a  high bar pressure not that thin junk thery sell at Thai Watsadu or Global farce .....experience 10 years doing crap like this correctlyimage.thumb.png.71d3cebd78fd3408676f30f2f1932bce.pngimage.thumb.png.5ea5ff190d7db74ebc12922e5033a025.pngimage.png.8a3b4a9328ed269872a6d90550d6d63a.pngimage.png.a8276b9dc6558d5a74756ccf140eb83a.png

Edited by Rampant Rabbit
  • Love It 1

On 9/21/2023 at 6:52 AM, OneMoreFarang said:

Coming back to my original post, it's funny that Home Pro writes in the description of all those blue pipes:  "Use with clean water only."

Safe side recommendation.  Easier than saying all the things which you should not put into the pipe, the list of chemicals is quite long.

On 9/20/2023 at 7:08 AM, Artisi said:

All the fittings shown here or their equivalent are available from many places. 

I went to Thaiwatsadu, Homepro, Megahome, Homemart, Home Sukkapan, and smaller places. The best I could do was one place had only the P trap with clean out and it was ฿350 just for that piece. I did my homework. Maybe this system was hiding somewhere at DoHome. After going everywhere else, I decided the odds were not good. 

on watsadu
they advertise yellow and white for electric
and blue, white and grey for water with white stated as for waste and grey for agriculture
i assume the white pipes are mostly for indoor where they would be seen
the differences
yellow is expensive
white for electrical is expensive and in metric size so cannot mix and match with other pipes/fittings and pipes come in 2m not 4m
grey is cheapest but thin and lacks usual fittings
blue is cheap lots of fittings available
white for water costs a little more than blue but can be mixed and matched but have fewer fittings
i recently had to run power, fibre and water
run the water in blue, up till where the pipes will be exposed, which i then switch to white pipes so only white iis seen
the power and fibre i run in white (water) pipes as they are much cheaper, and then used a few yellow fittings mainly as i could only get the needed fitting in yellow, but it also indicates its power cables in the pipe
i do also have power cables running 40m underground through a 2" blue pipe, but then pipes switched to yellow or white once above ground
not sure if the sparks would freak out, but i run the power alongside water with a french drain laid on top

FYI you should not run LAN cables alongside power cables,
i was lucky to find this out before running everything, fibre does not have this issue

Edited by patman30

3 hours ago, patman30 said:

FYI you should not run LAN cables alongside power cables

An often stated idea though in all testing that I have seen it is not supported by the results.

So it doesn’t do any harm to separate them but has no measurable benefit specially if running the higher Cat numbers.

Edited by sometimewoodworker

1 hour ago, sometimewoodworker said:

An often stated idea though in all testing that I have seen it is not supported by the results.

So it doesn’t do any harm to separate them but has no measurable benefit specially if running the higher Cat numbers.

what testing have you seen?
as nearly all links online state EM interference if run in the same conduit
with recommended minimum distance of 20cm between power and LAN cables

i was not running short distances, but about 100m total underground and also under a french drain
not something i wanted to take a chance on, switching to fibre made pulling the cables easier too.
in the past i have run multiple CAT5e LAN cables together and had cables fail after a few years
testing may now show any problems, but how long is testing done for?

On 9/18/2023 at 10:18 AM, OneMoreFarang said:

I thought I buy/order some drainpipes for my kitchen.

The existing drainage pipes are 2" blue PVC pipes, so I looked for 2" blue PVC pipes.

I checked on the HomePro website, there are lots of 2" pipes with different classes. The classes seem to indicate the maximum pressure.

And for all 2" blue PVC pipes I see in the description "Use with clean water only."

This is just one sample:

WATER PIPE TIGER CLASS 5 2IN 4M LIGHT BLUE (homepro.co.th)

So are those blue pipes not designed to use for drains?

Or is the "clean water only" lost in translation?

Which pipes (material, class, color) are designed to use for drains in kitchens (including hot water from the sink and washing machine)?

I also visited a HomePro shop yesterday. But the sales guy didn't even know the different sizes of pipes... 

Thanks

Blue PVC pipes are used for both water supply and water disposal (drainage). My advice is for water supply, use the best quality/strongest pipes and for drainage, don't use the thinnest/cheapest. 2" is the right size for house drainage - don't go below this size or you will live to regret it.

16 hours ago, patman30 said:

nearly all links online state EM interference if run in the same conduit
with recommended minimum distance of 20cm between power and LAN cables

Just because nearly every one is quoting the same information does not make it true. There are too many instances of the perceived knowledge being found to be untrue when there is actual testing done. The incorrect unfounded assumptions being taught for decades as “truth” are extremely hard to change as people are resistant to change.

So rather than me going back and finding the test results showing that my recollection is accurate, why don’t you point to scientific studies showing that the “general rule” is true.

Your observation that 

16 hours ago, patman30 said:

in the past i have run multiple CAT5e LAN cables together and had cables fail after a few years

Is correlation and you should be well aware that correlation is not causation.  You have a datum point, you are drawing a conclusion from that. It is certainly a possibility that your conclusion maybe correct, but without extensive testing it is unproven. There are far too many variables, one, of many, possibilities is that the plastics have degraded.