Leading Thai Police and Relevant Agencies Discuss Police Reform in Thailand

snoop1130

16 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

Mission impossible.

This book, written by Thai academics many years ago, gives a good overview about the situation. I would be surprised if it changes much in the last decades.

Guns_girls_Gambling_Ganja.jpg?v=14041846

That had to be one of the first books I read when I came to Thailand, 20 odd years ago, 

1 hour ago, Caldera said:

It's hopeless, I've heard it so many times and it never leads to anything substantial. 

Well, there is the many lavish committee meetings and expensive food and lodging handed out, then they put out a statement suggesting new changes that will actually never happen, rinse and repeat.

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, ChipButty said:

Im old enough to remember that

My Dad got really annoyed at me one time I'd brought something from the co-op and hadn't given them his number.

But I digress from the OP only just though. Mind you swap dad for station chief and same same. 

1 hour ago, Purdey said:

While not convinced a mass debate will solve anything, however recently read that there are now some crimes that the British police will not investigate. A slippery slope to Thai levels. 

Yes, next time I go to the UK I will be doing my rounds of Sainsbury's, Asda, Morrison's etc. ????????

• Haha 1

22 hours ago, snoop1130 said:

The Thai Journalists Association set up a conference on “Police Reform

Why not also set up town hall type meetings around the country with people police supposedly serve. Regions will have own unique enforcement issues.

Also on the agenda should be the authority given by PM Prayut to the military's Internal Security Organization Command (ISOC) involvement in civilian affairs vs law enforcement.

Police organizational command and funding in general needs review. Police responsible for national federal crimes should be separate from Provincial enforcement and possibly further segregated down to district. The scope of the National Police Commissioner leadership should not extend into district enforcement other than for national federal crimes. 

I have no issue with Police rankings so long as they reflect the nature of their duties. "Patrolman" job is pretty clear. And they don't need army bootcamp trsining nor parachute wings. They're civilians except on the national level.