Drinking Too Much Water?

Neeranam

11 minutes ago, Sheryl said:

Suit yourself. But there is a risk of hyponatremia due to the dilutional effect of all that plain water. Urine color does not tell you anythting about electrolyte balance.

And if this sort of volume is taken over a short time, water intoxication can even result, though that is fairly rare.

Aside from electrolyte solutions there are many other drinks that contain electrolytes. Green coconut water is an excellent choice. Also lemon and orange juice (the fresh kind at markets to which they add a bit of sugar an salt -- you can further dilute as desired). Including at least a little of such things into the daily mix instead of all plain water would be wise.

Advice noted - thank you ????

On 9/21/2023 at 11:13 AM, PJ71 said:

it's not possible to drink too much water.

i drink 1 litre as soon as i wake up.

Overhydration, also called "water intoxication" can be a real risk.  In the early 1990s It lead to a tragic death in the Boston Marathon.  A young woman from Ecuador, a recent medical school graduate was running the marathon.  It was predicted to be a hot day, in the high 80s.  Prior to the race start, she decided to aggressively hydrate by drinking a large amount of water in a somewhat short time period.  Ten minutes into the race, she collapsed into convulsions and died at the scene.  Long story short, water in excess, consumed too quickly can dilute the electrolytes in the blood to such an extent that they do not transmit the necessary electrical stimulus to keep the heart  beating.  

https://www.medicalnewstoday.com/articles/318619#summa

Edited by dddave

1 minute ago, dddave said:

Overhydration, also called "water intoxication" can be a real risk.  In the early 1990s It lead to a tragic death in the Boston Marathon.  A young woman from Ecuador, a recent medical school graduate was running the marathon.  It was predicted to be a hot day, in the high 80s.  Prior to the race start, she decided to aggressively hydrate by drinking a large amount of water in a somewhat short time period.  Ten minutes into the race, she collapsed into convulsions and died at the scene.  Long story short, water in excess, consumed too quickly can dilute the electrolytes in the blood to such an extent that they do not transmit the necessary electrical stimulus to keep the heart  beating.  

Such a rare event that it certainly doesn't prove anything.

• Thumbs Up 1

8 hours ago, Skeptic7 said:

So how much fluid does the average, healthy adult living in a temperate climate need? The U.S. National Academies of Sciences, Engineering, and Medicine determined that an adequate daily fluid intake is: About 15.5 cups (3.7 liters) of fluids a day for men. About 11.5 cups (2.7 liters) of fluids a day for women.

https://www.mayoclinic.org › water

The "average" adult in medicine/science has 70 kg.

How many board members weigh 70 kg?

I guess add 50% and it's more like it. So, add 50% more water/fluid.

"Temperate climate" in Western discourse means bloody freezing temperatures of 18° C or 15°C.

Those who live here: can you even remember how cold that is? There is nothing temperate about it. 

If you like Thai weather and you didn't come here to enjoy the nice a/c of 7/11, add considerably more water/fluid.

On 9/21/2023 at 11:07 AM, Neeranam said:

drinking 4 litres of water a day.

It depends on your weight. I drink 3 to 5L every day. 5L I sweat a lot, especially when I do running. I lose lots of water when I sleep. I need to drink at least 1/2 L  when I'm out of bed. Every single person is different. Nobody can tell you how much would be enough for you to drink. 

On 9/20/2023 at 11:27 PM, HauptmannUK said:

My youngest daughter who a doctor in a UK hospital (she works in Urology) came to visit us in Thailand last year. I was discussing with her that I drink a lot of water. Her advice was that drinking too much water causes body electrolytes to go out of balance - sodium in particular.

That's it. That's the only ordinary downside (other than peeing a lot) to drinking lots of water (up to a point of course). Side effects might include leg cramps, light-headedness, stuff like that.

Makro sells boxes of sachets of electrolyte powder. One of those a day would counter the loss.

Edited by Paradise Pete
  • Like 1

I drink between 5-7 liters fluids a day.  Roughly 50% plain water and the other with about a teaspoon of salt per liter in the liters I drink prior to exercising and after. A couple big bites of a banana every liter that includes salt is also helpful.  The banana (potassium) and salt(sodium) cover the electrolytes needed for exercise in hot/humid areas.  The other electrolytes are not as important IMO.

Very hard to drink too much water for the average person but for those working hard in the heat or exercising hard for more than 75 minutes it is quite easy.  Rarely deadly but it can mess you up especially if it creeps up on you over a a few days.  Lethargic and feeling tired all the time are my first symptoms.  Color of my urine is meaningless for me.  It can be clear and I'm in balance and be clear and I'm out of balance.  Actually trying to have clear urine while living in Thailand caused me to be completely out of balance.  Drink loads of water if needed but get the electrolyte contents right for "your" needs.

I am 6'4" and 79 kg. 

Too much sodium causes high Blood Pressure , not enough causes low BP?

5 years ago, I had to take my mother to the doctor as she felt faint and dizzy, and was told it was her sodium levels. This was after she played golf in the hot season, which I also do, but she was 77. 

How to determine the amount I should drink. trial and error? 

21 minutes ago, atpeace said:

I drink between 5-7 liters fluids a day.  Roughly 50% plain water and the other with about a teaspoon of salt per liter in the liters I drink prior to exercising and after. A couple big bites of a banana every liter that includes salt is also helpful.  The banana (potassium) and salt(sodium) cover the electrolytes needed for exercise in hot/humid areas.  The other electrolytes are not as important IMO.

Very hard to drink too much water for the average person but for those working hard in the heat or exercising hard for more than 75 minutes it is quite easy.  Rarely deadly but it can mess you up especially if it creeps up on you over a a few days.  Lethargic and feeling tired all the time are my first symptoms.  Color of my urine is meaningless for me.  It can be clear and I'm in balance and be clear and I'm out of balance.  Actually trying to have clear urine while living in Thailand caused me to be completely out of balance.  Drink loads of water if needed but get the electrolyte contents right for "your" needs.

thanks, useful

14 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

I am 6'4" and 79 kg. 

Too much sodium causes high Blood Pressure , not enough causes low BP?

5 years ago, I had to take my mother to the doctor as she felt faint and dizzy, and was told it was her sodium levels. This was after she played golf in the hot season, which I also do, but she was 77. 

How to determine the amount I should drink. trial and error? 

Playing golf in hot weather would and should lower sodium levels for most individuals.  Some people lose little and others like me (5'11"-72 kg) lose a substantial amount. 

If it were me, I would add a 1/2 teaspoon to every liter of water while golfing.  Blood tests  are cheap in Thailand(250 baht).  Get your blood tested 3 or 4 hour after exercising and see if the added salt is creating issues ( high blood pressure, elevated sodium levels...).  It is fun to take control of your own health.  At worse you might kill yourself in the process but it is empowering.  In most cases IMO a person should be able make educated health choices without a doctor.  Not always but most the time.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

plain salt?

Iodized salt (basic table salt) which you buy at 7-Eleven.  You can go with sea salt if your feeling goofy but it is just more expensive and does the same thing.  The "kiss" principle is the best solution.  Table salt is everywhere and throw in a little banana if easy to find. I get blood work done regularly and know what most the numbers imply.  Not hard and recommended.  Many issues health issues can be found in the blood numbers.

• Like 1

50 minutes ago, atpeace said:

Iodized salt (basic table salt) which you buy at 7-Eleven.  You can go with sea salt if your feeling goofy but it is just more expensive and does the same thing.  The "kiss" principle is the best solution.  Table salt is everywhere and throw in a little banana if easy to find. I get blood work done regularly and know what most the numbers imply.  Not hard and recommended.  Many issues health issues can be found in the blood numbers.

Thanks. 

I'm drinking a lot of Sponsor now, 4/5 bottles a day. Is this better or worse than Gatorade?

On 9/21/2023 at 1:21 PM, kwak250 said:

Back in the UK ravers on "E" would drink far too much water and there were quite a a few fatalities due to excessive consumption of water.

Every raver and E user  remembers  Leah Betts ands the <deleted>storm of propaganda that created

"The inquest determined that the death had resulted from water intoxication and hyponatremia, which in turn led to serious swelling of the brain" 

-- The death of Leah Betts

10 hours ago, Neeranam said:

Thanks. 

I'm drinking a lot of Sponsor now, 4/5 bottles a day. Is this better or worse than Gatorade?

No idea but I do know Gatorade doesn't have enough salt to meet my needs. Forget the quanity but remember it being about 1/4 tsp  per liter. Sponsor isn't too healthy IMO.  Too much sugar. If sugar isn't a concern then it doesn't matter. There are salt pills also that are sold on Lozada that many marathon runners use.

On 9/22/2023 at 8:16 PM, StayinThailand2much said:

Yes, but wouldn't it be released the natural way?

Not if you drink the water too quickly, no.

There have been a number of links posted in this thread already, that explain how this works, and/or give examples of people dying from drinking too much water too quickly.

If the excess water was just released in the natural way, there wouldn't be all these instances of people dying.

On 9/23/2023 at 12:14 PM, TimeMachine said:

Many years back a radio station in Australia held a competition to win a Wii game console . Drink water continually and don't pee. A play on the wee wee words. Last person wins the Wii. Somebody died. True story. You can die from too much water.

I think the incident you're referring to happened in the US, not Australia.

The family of Jennifer Strange, a California woman who died after participating in a radio station's water-drinking contest, has been awarded $16.5 million by a California jury.

Jennifer Strange's Family Awarded $16.5 Million in "Wee for Wii" Contest Death