Drinking Too Much Water?

Neeranam

5 minutes ago, Neeranam said:

I was in Fascino yesterday and telling the staff that I may have had dehydration so now drinking 4 litres of water a day. 

One woman, to my surprise, said that it is dangerous. The other one nodded in agreement. 

What's going on?

it's not possible to drink too much water.

i drink 1 litre as soon as i wake up.

• Like 1
  • Confused 6
  • Sad 4

Already all been said. Drink it when you need it--heavy exercise in the jungle you'll clearly need more than when sitting around on here, but loads of plain water in big volumes is not a good idea... that's not how we evolved. Read somewhere once that guzzling loads does nowt but dilute electrolytes and then the kidneys dump it to prevent the blood from thinning. You'll just end up feeling lightheaded, peeing all the time and still be dehydrated. Drink when you need it and consider adding some good electrolytes in hot climes... not the cheapo all-sugar dechamp type in 7.

/The small packs of Oreda (think it is) seem to be ok though. Also consider drinking mineral water as opposed to always 'dead' reverse osmosis type.//

Edited by daveAustin
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Neeranam said:

I was in Fascino yesterday and telling the staff that I may have had dehydration so now drinking 4 litres of water a day. 

One woman, to my surprise, said that it is dangerous. The other one nodded in agreement. 

What's going on?

I have a very close freind who compulsively swills water. he collapsed a couple months back and had a mild seizure, turns out he was flushing electrolytes out of his system.

four litres is ridiculous if you are not sweating like a rapist and replebishing eclectrolytes as you go. 

• Like 2

6 minutes ago, kwak250 said:

Back in the UK ravers on "E" would drink far too much water and there were quite a a few fatalities due to excessive consumption of water.

They must have been drinking as if they were under a waterfall with their mouths open to make that happen.

• Haha 1

I learned in the army a very simple trick: just check the color of your pee and you know if you are hydrated properly or not. You could do the same in reverse by drinking less until you see the color change to become yellow / too yellow or worse colors.

Yes, of course, if you barely drink and are dehydrated, you won't really pee much / at all.

In reality you just know your average needed intake, then you know already what you usually drink in other drinks than purely water. If you then have a issue with being worried of drinking to little, just add some small bottles of water, then it's easy as you know 1-2 of those a day.

Drinking too much water, I never heard it, you must really be going hard then. I usually also drink up to a liter water in the hours before I go out drinking, gives me a buffer upfront.

Edited by ChaiyaTH
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, ChaiyaTH said:

They must have been drinking as if they were under a waterfall with their mouths open to make that happen.

Apparently it was due to the brain stem swelling due to excessive amounts of water and the E  caused this quite frequently 

11 minutes ago, kwak250 said:

Apparently it was due to the brain stem swelling due to excessive amounts of water and the E  caused this quite frequently 

Apparently it happens due to a shortage of salt what retains the fluid, to then cause brain swelling. Guess better to drink a drink with solution and not too much. I'm not surprised it happens because they always tell people to be worried getting dehydrated.

8 minutes ago, FritsSikkink said:

Not bad advice at all, it is very important to hydrate properly right after waking up. It is just the id-iots who dont want to understand, who will then say you can't say like that because if you drink huge amount of X liters it is very bad / dangerous for you etc etc.

People who reason like this usually fail with almost anything to get the best out of it: using a saving tax method, investing with better returns etc etc.

You don't even know the context, maybe he is 200CM tall and 120KG clean weight, 1L is nothing. Compared to a little Thai lady that is 150CM and 40KG.

Edited by ChaiyaTH
  • Confused 1

3 minutes ago, ChaiyaTH said:

Not bad advice at all, it is very important to hydrate properly right after waking up. It is just the id-iots who dont want to understand, who will then say you can't say like that because if you drink huge amount of X liters it is very bad / dangerous for you etc etc.

People who reason like this usually fail with almost anything to get the best out of it: using a saving tax method, investing with better returns etc etc.

You don't even know the context, maybe he is 200CM tall and 120KG clean weight, 1L is nothing. Compared to a little Thai lady that is 150CM and 40KG.

Learn to read, his remark was "it's not possible to drink too much water."

Which is untrue as explained in my link.

2 minutes ago, FritsSikkink said:

Learn to read, his remark was "it's not possible to drink too much water."

Which is untrue as explained in my link.

Yes because too much would be when your body signals you, i had enough really. If you then still drink, you are from before modern humans. You analyze comments as a robot i guess.

Edited by ChaiyaTH
  • Confused 5
  • Sad 1

15 hours ago, PJ71 said:

it's not possible to drink too much water.

i drink 1 litre as soon as i wake up.

It most certainly is possible to drink too much water. I was drinking too much water for a while and felt dehydrated. It turns out I was drinking so much water it was watering down my electrolytes which was causing various issues. An endocrinologist ordered a 24-hour urine collection followed by a water deprivation test to see if I could be suffering from diabetes insipidis. Fortunately, I wasn't - but the endocrinologist was very clear that drinking too much water most certainly can cause health issues.

• Like 2