Thai PM says use of cannabis must be regulated within six months

snoop1130

3 minutes ago, Ben Zioner said:

Can you elaborate? If you are sick to visit a doctor and he will prescribe a medical Canabis product if needed. You don't need to be protected by the "Thai Social Safety Net" to have access to medical care.

Cannabis for medical use has been legal since 2017.

DTAM (traditional medicine group within MoPH) controls medical cannabis.

There are only a few (four) current diagnoses for which Cannabis is approved.

A foreigner would have to attend a DTAM facility (located within a government hospital).

You can't just swan into Bumrungrad and ask for some Fire.

Yes, I'll stipulate that foreigners can access health care here, and some may be able to get cannabis, usually in the form of extracts.

This medical cannabis program could be enhanced to cover more treatment/diagnoses, but that will be challenging? Who is the gatekeeper for medical cannabis? Who draws the line between real medical diagnosis and treatment vs. I need cannabis to sleep.

• Thumbs Up 2

1 minute ago, stoner said:

the term medical use can be so many things to so many people. 

I think I implied as much with my statement.

2 minutes ago, stoner said:

what line ? all cannabis use for me is medical. 

If only you were the PM.

The PM wants to end Recreational use in six months, and wants only medical use, so that sort of indicates there will be a line, or in Thailand it would be a vast grey expanse.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, TheFishman1 said:

Bazaar world a guy that steals millions gets convicted comes back goes directly to a Hospital suite after a few hours and now he wants him to be part of the government. His sister, who is on your guard, leaves the country, the Red Bull kid who has all this time they have never issued a red notice, a heroin trafficker convicted is in government here so this is why I say Thailand is bizarre world  TIT

My country elected Donald Trump president.  ???? But I appreciate your point!   

Edited by ricklev
  • Confused 1

1 minute ago, Adumbration said:

He forgot to mention that the "control of retail outlets" will equate to the periodic payment of tea money under the threat of business closure.

It should be noted that the Government has issued thousands of licenses for retail outlets. (And for other cannabis related activities: growing, extracting...)

The Government could have "controlled" the number of retail outlets by limiting the number of licenses, but they did not.

• Haha 1

OMG the amount of issues they are going to sort out within 6 months is incredible the only one the people will be wanting is the 10,000 bht to everyone over the age of 16 it’s the carrot on the stick but just wait when it all goes belly up what will they do then

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

4 hours ago, pacovl46 said:

This guy needs to go! First the pot and now he wants to involve Thaksin in politics when he gets out! Pffft! Army to the front! 

did you expect anything else? it was only a matter of time...

now the question is: what can they do about it?

1 minute ago, redwood1 said:

Sir it was a joke...

You have to appreciate we have a lot of members for whom English is not the first language...and quite a few USA guys who don't pick up on wordplay or irony. Perhaps an emoticon or two?

• Like 1

Small businesses in limbo as BJT says it will not challenge PT marijuana policy
by Arun Saronchai

image.jpeg

Just over a year after Thailand became the first country in Asia to decriminalize marijuana, Prime Minister Srettha Thavisin has announced a dramatic policy shift.

In a recent interview with Bloomberg, the prime minister revealed that the government will now limit the use of marijuana to medical purposes only. This sudden turn has garnered the support of all parties in the Pheu Thai-led coalition government, leaving small dispensaries and entrepreneurs in a state of uncertainty.

Interestingly, the Bhumjai Thai party, which has often been on opposite sides of the political spectrum from Pheu Thai, will not challenge the new policy direction. Sources close to the party told Thai Enquirer that its leader, Anutin Charnvirakul, is keen to play the role of a “nice coalition partner,” thereby eliminating the likelihood of any significant political opposition to the move.

Since its decriminalization in June 2022, thousands of cannabis dispensaries have opened across Thailand. 

Full story: THA ENQUIRER 2023-09-22

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

• Sad 2
  • Thumbs Up 1