Does anything really matter?

bob smith

the more i think of it, the more i think that nothing in life really matters.

we will all be dead within 50 years or so. such a small and insignificant amount of time on the grand timeline of the universe.

how many of us can remember our great grandparents and what they did with their lives? does anyone spare a thought for them? Do you care?

do whatever you want. (within reason, without exploiting/harming others)

dont be hindered by guilt,

when we are on our deathbed we are going to regret the things we didnt do.

time waits for no man.

live your life the way you want to.

balls to everyone else. 

Edited by bob smith
  • Sad 2
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

My advice to you is put the kettle on and make yourself a nice cup of tea.

Then just relax and think happy thoughts about kittens and little fluffy bunny rabbits.

And before you know where you will be as contented with life as a pig is wallowing around in it's own excrement.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

2 minutes ago, Dmaxdan said:

My advice to you is put the kettle on and make yourself a nice cup of tea.

Then just relax and think happy thoughts about kittens and little fluffy bunny rabbits.

And before you know where you will be as contented with life as a pig is wallowing around in it's own excrement.

are you saying that i should wallow in my own sh*te in order to be happy?

never tried that before. might give it a whirl tonight after 10 beers and a spicy curry.

not sure how the wife will take it though..

Edited by bob smith
  • Love It 1
  • Haha 1

You are talking about the fact that what other peoples remember or think about in their lives, of when you lived your life, even at that point you yourself would no longer be around. 

1) Who cares, you are not around so you won't even need to care or know.
2) How is this relevant to what matters in life, as life is right now, or your timeline individually from birth to present to when you are death, which you won't know at exact moment, so it will basically be birth to present until present stops.
3) Knowing 1 &2: Of course life matters, in the way you want your life to be, as that is all you know is sure for now. If you are unhappy with your life in general, that has zero to do with what you are saying in the topic.

To answer your question, sure I know my grandparents, but my great grand parents not really, why? They died before I was even 7 and I remember little in general from under that age, if they somehow died much later, for sure i still had memories and sometimes a thought.

What did you expect? I am gonna go back 100 generations and spend 1 hour per month to think about each of them, while that adds zero value to them or me?

Just to maintain regular contact with your entire family, i mean entire, would be a fulltime job.

Edited by ChaiyaTH

2 hours ago, bob smith said:

we will all be dead within 50 years or so. such a small and insignificant amount of time on the grand timeline of the universe.

What you will think on your deathbed is an even smaller and more insignificant amount of time.  Perhaps not more than an instant in some cases.

I would suggest that the only reason to give consideration to what you will think on your deathbed is if it gives you meaning to do so, right now, in the here and now.

2 hours ago, bob smith said:

how many of us can remember our great grandparents and what they did with their lives? does anyone spare a thought for them? Do you care?

The meaning that you attach to your memories of them is personal.  In my case, I didn't know them.  For others, they may have great meaning.  But that meaning is in your brain.  It is not objective.  It is not eternal.  It is not even unchanging.

Rather than imagine that it is something that exists beyond myself, I find it more comfortable to think of it as a desire for meaning, much like any other emotional desire.  If it's been neglected too long, it becomes more pressing.  Take care of it when you need to.  Accept that it will come again and have a plan for that.

Edited by QuantumQuandry

4 minutes ago, zzaa09 said:

Mindlessly consume, accumulate, waste and destroy. 

The only things that truly matter. 

sounds like the american dream---and is why i left

reminds me of a thai kid with his mom yesterday as i biked..he ate his moo ping and strongly threw his wooden stick on the ground as i noted the trash can directly behind him...

• Love It 2

4 hours ago, bob smith said:

do whatever you want. (within reason, without exploiting/harming others)

dont be hindered by guilt,

when we are on our deathbed we are going to regret the things we didnt do.

time waits for no man.

live your life the way you want to.

balls to everyone else. 

All right bob, what have you gone and done now?

• Haha 1

14 hours ago, Sticky Rice Balls said:

Ive found that ever since hitting the ignore button on Bob and Big Nok im much happier....

I occasionally have prolonged periods of time kill. At times like that, a Bigbob thread or too can be provide a nice amount of filler.

If I don't have the time, it's easy enough to spot one of his threads and just scroll past them.

• Like 1