Rise in expatriate residence in Thailand prompts tourism benefits plan

webfact

Immigration issues, that's a tough one.

Married or retired, too easy.  But online working, problem with proving that is what you are doing.

Job protectionism vs enticing 'honest' people to visit and work here.   Sadly, people aren't honest or trustworthy, and as always, most suffer because of the few.

Why they even have immigration laws to begin with.  Even the married & retired can't be trusted to be honest, and how simple is that to stay here.

Personally like it just the way it is, and actually wish they'd enforce the rules a bit more.

Sucks for the honest nomadic online worker, but seriously, how many are there ?

Can the infrastructure, already strained beyond it's ability, handle another million cars or toilets being flushed.

Need to sort out the infrastructure before welcoming the masses.  Brown outs & water shortages are already the norm here.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, webfact said:

The TAT governor, Thapanee Kiatphaibool, revealed plans to offer expatriates benefits, some of which were requested for years, such as reduced entrance fees to national parks and attractions.

Thats great, as I am spending 0.0000555% if my income on National Parks.

But how about the the other 23% fleecing that has been announced?

• Like 2

4 hours ago, mania said:

How about Thailand  start with the easy ones?

For instance ...

1- If Thailand gives us a 1 year visa extension why do we need to check in every 90 days?

2- If we have a one year visa extension why when we get home from a short domestic inter Thailand vacation do we need to report like criminals if we stay in a hotel elsewhere in Thailand rather than our home?

3- What really is the re-entry permit for? If we come back & the one year visa in our passport is still valid .......its still valid period right? Why do we need that silly 1900 baht permission slip to use what we already paid for???

That would be a nice start at least for expatriates and remote workers ????

As far as I know you don't have to report if you only travel within Thailand. Hotels normally copy your passport, but some don't. One told me he didn't need to as I'd booked through Agoda. Oh and the immigration officer in Mahasarakham said you don't need to do the report if you've come back from Lao. So who knows.

There's another complication for me if it was necessary to report every overnight trip away from my registered address in Mahasarakham. My wife works for part of the Ministry of Labour and she was moved from Mahasarakham to Roi Et. We were provide with a house on the site where we can stay. We don't as, whilst it would be fine if done up it has problems, the upstairs shower and toilet can't be used as there's a leak and they can't fix it. There might have been an electric shower but there isn't now. The aircon has been removed. The only furniture is and old metal bunk bed without mattresses. It's a half hour drive so we don't use it. If we did we'd have to register my return every time we came home at the weekend or maybe more often and I assume her superior would have to register me when I went there as well.

6 hours ago, jacko45k said:

Dodgy Pattya pavements seem to have curtailed my longer walk days!

I can't remember what the pavements were like the last time I was there but I doubt they are as bad as here in Isaan. If I ever ended up needing a wheelchair I think I'd leave or shoot myself. Even Bangkok is pretty bad, especially for a capital. My first wife had to use a wheelchair in her last years so I notice these problems. It may not be a problem for digital nomads but since an online job would be suitable for someone using a chair it might be something they should look at. It would help disabled tourists as well as those who aren't as agile as they once were.

Ah, yes, the Kingdom of Thailand National Parks. Great land with scenic holdings. I think there is a great opportunity for attracting tourism IF Thailand development their National Parks akin to what I experienced growing up in the USA. Scenic sites, lodges for overnight or longer stays, restaurants, ... Yes hiking and camping available for those who wish (at age 76 and after camping with my family and Scouts until close to retirement ... bed, please.

It seems like the only people they're counting as "expatriates" are those working here or involved in businesses, based on the descriptions in the OP.

I'm retired, have never worked here or been involved in any business venture, but as far as I know, I would still correctly be considered an "expatriate," having lived here full-time for many years now.

But I guess retirees don't count in their counting or plans.

On 9/24/2023 at 6:42 PM, kimamey said:

I don't know who chose the picture but they don't look Chinese, Japanese or Indian.

Is it reducing fees for parks or reversing the increases? It may be a start but I think the other issues mentioned in the article as well as making immigration procedures less complicated are more important. Some shouldn't be that difficult to achieve but things like pollution, particularly in border areas may not be so easy.

They probably just copied one of the first pics on Google Search... Lower national park fees are the last thing I worry about residing in Thailand. Visa issues, immigration matters, scams, overcharging in daily life, etc., are way more important issues.

Edited by StayinThailand2much