Poll showing Trump up 10 points over Biden for 2024 election criticized

Social Media

21 minutes ago, Presnock said:

Yeah, most of the polls that I have read always amaze me that they get such a response from readers in that most polls done by valid reporters actually give the reader the number of people interviewed and the numbers are about a thousand to 1500 people and they write about a national election? of hundreds of millions of people.  For their polls, the reporter just has to go to a local district where the preponderance of voters are of the same candidate/party so that the results are definitely skewed and can be skewed in any way that the reporter can get an "exclusive" report!.  My experience and just look at what Trump did in 2020, he thought he would win by a landslide due to "polling" but then, it seems many people from his own party were not choosing between Trump and Hillary this time so they opted for the lesser of two "evils" in my opinion only of course.  But Trump had alluded to this happening long before the election even took place as he obviously knew too many of his party didn't think he was qualified to be the prez for an additional 4 years.  My opinion too of course and one can just ignore it or agree.

There can be variations between different polls, as the margin of error (to make it simple) is usually 5%. However, the current trend if or the average of all polls is that Trump is currently around 1% above Biden.

https://www.racetothewh.com/president/polls

We really take notice of polling data? Does it really affect the way people vote? 

2 scenarios: Candidate 1 is 20 points ahead, so voters don't need to vote. Candidate 1 will win without our votes....

candidate 1 is ahead by 20 points. Us voting for candidate 2 will make no difference....

Polling. Good grief.

• Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, Presnock said:

Yeah, most of the polls that I have read always amaze me that they get such a response from readers in that most polls done by valid reporters actually give the reader the number of people interviewed and the numbers are about a thousand to 1500 people and they write about a national election? of hundreds of millions of people.  For their polls, the reporter just has to go to a local district where the preponderance of voters are of the same candidate/party so that the results are definitely skewed and can be skewed in any way that the reporter can get an "exclusive" report!.  My experience and just look at what Trump did in 2020, he thought he would win by a landslide due to "polling" but then, it seems many people from his own party were not choosing between Trump and Hillary this time so they opted for the lesser of two "evils" in my opinion only of course.  But Trump had alluded to this happening long before the election even took place as he obviously knew too many of his party didn't think he was qualified to be the prez for an additional 4 years.  My opinion too of course and one can just ignore it or agree.

Polling doesn't work that way.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Purdey said:

I remember that Hillary had 3 million more votes than the Orange One, but that didn't count.

Correct.

The POTUS election is not determined by popular vote, unlike State and Local elections. Do ehat's your point?

Unless a State prorates electoral votes between candidates based on popular vote (and some States do), it's winner takes all based on a simple majority vote. Landslide State votes for POTUS beyond say 51% for a candidate are essentially wasted.

2 hours ago, Purdey said:

I remember that Hillary had 3 million more votes than the Orange One, but that didn't count.

I'm not a big fan of the electoral college given today's tech and the ability to count votes on the day.  Used to be, it took weeks to gather up the votes and pony express them where they needed to be...

But you play the game according to the rules.  Same with football.  If touchdowns were only worth 2 points and an extra point kick was worth 7 points, teams would change the way they play.  Good teams with good coaching would still win.

If the popular vote count was decisive, campaigns would be run very differently.  Good candidates with good strategy will still win.

2 hours ago, Srikcir said:

Correct.

The POTUS election is not determined by popular vote, unlike State and Local elections. Do ehat's your point?

Unless a State prorates electoral votes between candidates based on popular vote (and some States do), it's winner takes all based on a simple majority vote. Landslide State votes for POTUS beyond say 51% for a candidate are essentially wasted.

Not too bad a synopsis of why the American electoral system is a primer example of the antithesis of democracy in action ... total joke.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

9 hours ago, Tropposurfer said:

Not too bad a synopsis of why the American electoral system is a primer example of the antithesis of democracy in action ... total joke.

"Not only was the creation of the Electoral College in part a political workaround for the persistence of slavery in the United States, but almost none of the Founding Fathers’ assumptions about the electoral system proved true." History.com , "Why was the Electoral College Created?"

The Convention delegates "thought 18th-century voters lacked the resources to be fully informed about the candidates, especially in rural outposts. Second, they feared a headstrong “democratic mob” steering the country astray. And third, a populist president appealing directly to the people could command dangerous amounts of power."

The nation obviously moved in a different direction over time through what I would blame in part to fascist corporate domination of the US political system and unrestrained social media. America's democratic political success over time has been its failure.

• Thumbs Up 1

14 hours ago, Purdey said:

Just saw a video from last week, Hillary still claiming she won the 2016 election.  Russian collusion and all...  

Edited by impulse
  • Thumbs Up 1

13 hours ago, Tropposurfer said:

Yeah what a total laughingstock the American electoral/voting system is.

Really? There are a number of countries in which winning the popular vote (either a majority or plurality) is no guarantee of becoming the government.  Canada 2021- the Conservatives got more votes than the Liberals, but the Liberals had a plurality of seats in Parliament and formed a government. Same in 2019. 

• Sad 1

17 hours ago, Srikcir said:

Correct.

My point was that the voters are disenfranchised in that they can elect Hilary with a majority of votes but their votes count for nothing.

You may have read about the rampant gerrymandering taking place which is often meant to ensure colored, poor people and even Democrats cannot win a majority in the state. With one man one vote, redistricting would have no effect on the result. 

The majority vote part is still rigged against the majority of people. 

Edited by Purdey
  • Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, Hanaguma said:

Really? There are a number of countries in which winning the popular vote (either a majority or plurality) is no guarantee of becoming the government.  Canada 2021- the Conservatives got more votes than the Liberals, but the Liberals had a plurality of seats in Parliament and formed a government. Same in 2019. 

Then it will be an unfair election that do not properly represent the voices of the citizens like in USA. To Canada credit, Trudeau promised to reform the election system. Any chance the GOP will go along with constitutional reform of the electoral college system? 

• Like 1

4 hours ago, placeholder said:

Got a link to that? 

"Any alleged factual claims must be supported by a valid link to an approved credible source."

https://aseannow.com/forum/158-world-news/

Fox News.  Look it up.

I'm not going to give the link because I relish the thought of you having to wallow around in the Fox mud.

Edited by impulse

18 hours ago, wwest5829 said:

I will be using a mail in ballot. Problem with my vote?

Living overseas has always been a legitimate reason to get a mail-in ballot.  Being dead, living at the address of a vacant field, and being in a nursing home unable to even open your eyes or respond to a voice, hasn't.   Until recently.

Edited by impulse