Deputy PM’s passport plea: Thai tourists seek visa-free voyage to Germany, EU

webfact

2 hours ago, bob smith said:

why should the EU grant visa free travel to Thais?

What do Thai people bring to the table?

As so many foreigners comes to Thailand, seeking the ultimate love, they must be good marriage material. ????

Besides that, it would probably be Tom Yum Koong.

Sure .. then add in dual pricing for all Thai tourists.. exempt any EU citizen scamming Thai tourists.. register where they are staying... EU Police not to do anything about Thai tourists complaints.. build special depraved detention centres for Thai overstayers .. bring it on..

• Thumbs Up 1

6 hours ago, Captain Monday said:

Eliminate visa free travel for EU, USA, and others, a very simple and fair solution.

Mandatory home country criminal checks are also desperately needed.

That only works one way though as the criminal records' system is much more robust in the West than in Thailand.

You can easily have your record falsified in Thailand for a few thousand Baht. 

I know Thai felons who have done jail time for drug dealing in Thailand that have obtained false criminal record checks, obtained visas and visited Australia and New Zealand, among other places.

Then there is the issue of Thais overstaying, working illegally etc., which is the reason visas are so difficult to obtain for them, and rightly so.

Thailand is so corrupt and untrustworthy that these ideas simply don't work with them.

• Thumbs Up 1

25 minutes ago, wimpy said:

Would love to know the actual reason for the visa requirement for Thais. There are some sketchy countries on the visa free list.

It's working illegally and overstay. At one time in the early 2000's, some 80% of Thais visiting the US overstayed their visas. That's a lot.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

There is a very good reason that Thais need a visa to visit Germany and many other countries. They are very well known by the authorities to favour saying what is advantageous to themselves rather than the truth. Each application to visit must be examined and scrutanised - and the embassies and consulates have heard their stories a thousand times before. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Reciprocal agreements are good but the EU maintains standards to protect human rights. If only Thailand had not had a military junta for so many years the EU might look kindly on the idea.

Anyway, not a lot of rice farmers clamoring for entry. Too many Pattaya ladies though.

If only Thailand could focus more on industry than tourism. 

I support this initiative whole heartedly having been through the trauma and expense of obtaining a Schengen visa for my wife. 3 trips to Bangkok, petty bureaucracy (our invitation from the relatives hosting us with the same last name was sent on email, which means it  might be forged, and a hand written letter, that slo could have been forged, was needed and needed to be send by courier....it might have been nice if they told that in the first visit). Then they gave us a visa with the wrong travel date, despite giving them the e-tickets, meaning I had to change the flights at the airport at the cost over over $1000. 

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

Eliminate visa free travel for EU, USA, and others, a very simple and fair solution.

Another clueless poster

be careful what you wish for

have you ever tried to obtain a CRO? 

I am from the UK and needed one for my work overseas

which I had to do every year,as soon as you get one for year one 

you need to apply straight away for year 2

and if you have no UK address good luck with that

they are an absolute nightmare to obtain

20 minutes ago, Mr Meeseeks said:

It's working illegally and overstay. At one time in the early 2000's, some 80% of Thais visiting the US overstayed their visas. That's a lot.

Ok but fair is fair and applying for all visas should be reciprocal. It will certainly bring more revenue for the foreign affairs dept.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

5 hours ago, arithai12 said:

Simple and fair, but a disaster at economic level. Asking for reciprocal visa-free for Thai tourists seems a good thing.

They could also look at charging Thai tourists 2 or 3 times the amount that locals pay for visiting tourist attractions?

• Thumbs Up 2

Yeah, mandatory criminal record checks and a uniform standard for all countries to apply for any kind of visa to visit anywhere for all travellers for tourism and other reasons. See how that works when all travel grinds to a halt and one has to wait to get the criminal record check and then apply for a visa to be able to travel somewhere.

Not to mention the boost in employment and increased revenues for govt to manage that.

That will control everyone....no?

Edited by freeworld

4 hours ago, kwilco said:

these countries have visa free entry to EU - looks like Thailand hasn't been asking the right people.....

Albania

Antigua and Barbuda

Argentina

Australia

Bahamas

Barbados

Bosnia and Herzegovina

Brazil

Brunei

Canada

Chile

Colombia

Costa Rica

Dominica

El Salvador

Georgia

Grenada

Guatemala

Honduras

Hong Kong S.A.R*

Israel

Japan

Kiribati

Macao S.A.R*

Malaysia

Marshall Islands

Mauritius

Mexico

Micronesia

Moldova

Montenegro

Nauru

New Zealand

Nicaragua

North Macedonia

Palau

Panama

Paraguay

Peru

Saint Kitts and Nevis

Saint Lucia

Saint Vincent

Samoa

Serbia

Seychelles

Singapore

Solomon Islands

South Korea

Taiwan**

Timor Leste

Tonga

Trinidad and Tobago

Tuvalu

Ukraine

United Arab Emirates

United Kingdom

United States of America

Uruguay

Venezuela

How strange ...... Columbia and Peru produce, between them, 87% of the world's cocaine. Mexico is on there. Poor Bolivia at 13% does not get visa free travel. Its an understated $12 billion EU market with up to 2,5% of the population of some countries as users. The old Columbian white marching powder seems quite popular. As far back as 2005 substantial traces ere found in the EU Parliament and the police refused to investigate - https://www.theguardian.com/world/2005/jul/16/eu.politics and recently https://www.politico.eu/article/the-eu-has-or-hasnt-got-a-drugs-problem/  I guess these folks make us the visa free rules.

• Confused 1

It is a Schengen issue, Germany has no longer the possibility to decide on who may enter their country and who not. 

Throw in their total mess with the unhindered avalanche of asylum chancers with the sole intention to deplete social welfare coffers and the disaster is complete. 

If the voters would have a choice (and they do not), they would go back to multilateralism - as they had before which included visa-free travel for Thai citizen to Germany. Now the German government in power, completely brainwashed and ideologically corrupt, runs after the "The Pied Piper of Brussels (not of Hamelin) and hence that meeting was a nice exchange of views without any chance of pushing anything through - by the German side that is ???? 

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1

5 hours ago, nobodysfriend said:

Thais should be allowed Visa free entrance to the EU .

Thais in the EU should be subject to the exact same conditions as foreigners in Thailand .

( 90 day reporting , visa limitations , not allowed tom own land etc ... )

Would be fair enough .

agree, they should also provide proof of 800 K  baht equivalent in EU country destination currency

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

10 hours ago, BusyB said:

Lindner is not Germany's Foreign Minister. Annalene Baerbock is the FM. He is a 'Minister of State' in the Foreign Office. One of her underlings, a junior minister.

Under the worst foreign minister Germany ever had ...

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, sambum said:

They could also look at charging Thai tourists 2 or 3 times the amount that locals pay for visiting tourist attractions?

In prime tourist destination cities in Europe everybody is already charged 2-3 times the normal price, and not just for tourist attraction but for anything from a hotel room down to a sandwich. And treated like s**t for good measure.

• Sad 1

6 minutes ago, arithai12 said:

In prime tourist destination cities in Europe everybody is already charged 2-3 times the normal price, and not just for tourist attraction but for anything from a hotel room down to a sandwich. And treated like s**t for good measure.

you said everybody is charged, locals, residents, tourists, etc., same price regardless of the amount, here they ONLY charge the westerners 3-4 or 10 times the price, locals have discounted price, that's discrimination

• Thumbs Up 1

Yep.  No foreigners ever caught overstaying or working illegally in Thailand.  The 800k is for long stay Not tourist.  The 90 day report also long stay not tourist. I am almost always asked and given the discounted rate with Thai License of showing Retirement Visa Photo from passport.  

I understand that Thais see little wrong with working or staying in another country beyond what is allowed.  When migrants or asylum seekers are welcome but Thais with foreign boyfriend's or husband's have to go through all the hassles seems like a double standard.  I would not support my girlfriend going to the US, the country I once loved has spiraled into a bunch of entitled, whiney, rude, abusive, unreasonable people.  I can see her disappoint when she experiences this first hand.  The shame my fellow Americans would bring to me is a strong enough deterrent.

• Confused 1

11 hours ago, Captain Monday said:

The better idea is to get rid of all visas and borders. Let people live where they want as long as they don’t become a public burden and follow the rules. Stop punishing the innocent. 

Are you planning to move to Iran? Mali? Eritrea? Venezuela? Nuff said, Captain Dumbo.