just a reminder, they will ******* kill you

NorthernRyland

1 minute ago, Gecko123 said:

If someone wants to report this post and get it removed as disrespectful to the departed so be it, but why aren't you speaking out about that? And I fail to see how going on a rant about how stupid Thai people are is showing respect to the departed's Thai loved ones.

Sorry I don't want to get in to a fight over this guy because it's not really about him. I posted my first and only rant against Thai drivers yesterday because I had a particularly bad day with them and this was after the forum member died so it was a salient topic. It's a good time to reflect back on how serious the situation is here and what Thai people are really like on the road. 

• Thumbs Up 1

11 hours ago, NorthernRyland said:

Just today I had a guy decide he couldn't wait 2 seconds for me to go by and decided to turn into the road anyways, nearly resulting in a collision (I had to unclip my shoes even in case I had to dismount). Yelled at the guy and he starred back at me with a brain dead look.

Somewhat of a same experience yesterday taking my wife to work, she being from a rural area and too scared to drive in the city, a westerner passes us on the left as we’re turning right at an intersection nearly clipping us. And yes I yelled at the freaking stupid idiot. And if and when I see him again I’ll toss some ripe words his way for putting my wife’s life in danger. And just a note here, the vehicle in front has the right-of-way when passing a vehicle from behind, especially turning at intersections due to blind spots. 

• Haha 1

2 minutes ago, novacova said:

And just a note here, the vehicle in front has the right-of-way when passing a vehicle from behind, especially turning at intersections due to blind spots. 

The bigger faster vehicle has the right of way here, it's that simple...

Oh, or the importance of the person in vehicle - " do you know who i am "

12 minutes ago, Gecko123 said:

So you don't even know if it was a solo one vehicle loss of control accident or possibly negligence on the part of the forum member and you're going on this diatribe about Thai people? Did you see that picture shared of him sitting at a roadside restaurant at what looks like a rest break during a touring trip? Did you notice what appear to be two large cans of Chang beer on the table? If someone wants to report this post and get it removed as disrespectful to the departed so be it, but why aren't you speaking out about that? And I fail to see how going on a rant about how stupid Thai people are is showing respect to the departed's Thai loved ones.

Quite common scenario when riding with groups during lunch brakes and after rides before riding back home. 

Just now, PJ71 said:

The bigger faster vehicle has the right of way here, it's that simple...

Oh, or the importance of the person in vehicle - " do you know who i am "

Before Fortuner was the pain in the ass, now you got the Ford Rangers and Raptors who think they own the roads

They fight for winning two meeters for next make a turn left or right

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

44 minutes ago, spidermike007 said:

Thailand is somewhere between a developing country, and the 3rd world. And many have not driven for long, so the lack of skills combined with a lack of common sense can be lethal. 

Thailand is far from 3rd world, very very far.

• Like 1

10 hours ago, NorthernRyland said:

I badly want to move out of CM but I need to figure out what to do with my wife who has a career here.

Exact same boat, I want to move back north Lampang but she just started a business here. Anyhow we’re currently looking for a place closer to her business just to mitigate the cross town route. 

1 hour ago, Gsxrnz said:

You know you've become well adapted to Thai driving and road conditions when you drive at home and feel scared and confused by the rigid orderliness.  :coffee1:

Or you watch one of the 'bad driving' videos from your home country and think 'what's wrong with that?'.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

11 hours ago, Middle Aged Grouch said:

We also have our friends the driving licence people at the DLT who in many cities will make it a point to make a fuss on driver foreigner driver licence conversion and many offices have rude staff who just love hushing foreigners away and find some excuse not to do the foreign licence conversion for Thailand.

Sounds like these people were trained in the US, DMV (Dept Motor Vehicles) workers are notoriously nasty, some states more so than others. 

11 hours ago, norfolkandchance said:

Cue. Thai bashing.

I don't think it is Thai bashing to observe and comment upon the appalling standard and competence of drivers, almost verging upon stupidity, of so many drivers on the Thai roads.

There are no doubt many reasons, lack of training and education, corruption and/or low standards in the licencing process, an utter lack of enforcement of traffic law and basic mechanical safety standards, and an apparent lack of comprehension of the risks involved in some manoeuvres.

Virtually all of us see it on an almost daily basis. To remark on it is not Thai bashing, it is an observation, sadly, of reality.

• Like 2

2 minutes ago, herfiehandbag said:

I don't think it is Thai bashing to observe and comment upon the appalling standard and competence of drivers, almost verging upon stupidity, of so many drivers on the Thai roads.

There are no doubt many reasons, lack of training and education, corruption and/or low standards in the licencing process, an utter lack of enforcement of traffic law and basic mechanical safety standards, and an apparent lack of comprehension of the risks involved in some manoeuvres.

Virtually all of us see it on an almost daily basis. To remark on it is not Thai bashing, it is an observation, sadly, of reality.

For those who remember where they come from, know it was no better back in the days when they growing up. 

11 hours ago, NorthernRyland said:

I felt the need to rant after the sad story of the forum member being killed on his bike today and it was not appropriate to post it there.

I'm a road cyclists and motorcyclist in Chiang Mai with over 15 years experience riding the roads here so I've seen just about everything. It's nigh impossible to have a single day where you don't see or experience something shocking and appalling in regards to how the locals drive.

Just today I had a guy decide he couldn't wait 2 seconds for me to go by and decided to turn into the road anyways, nearly resulting in a collision (I had to unclip my shoes even in case I had to dismount). Yelled at the guy and he starred back at me with a brain dead look. After that I'm biking up a mountain road and some women decides as a truck is passing in the other lane that this is the best time to pass me and gets with inches of me while we're both going at very slow speeds up a 12% grade. I easily could have swerved 10 inches and that would have been enough to cause a collision.

The experience of driving in Thailand (removed) Watching them navigate an intersection without a light is another really sad display <remmoved> It shouldn't feel like a jungle survival game doing something so simple but here we are.

I like to joke that I wasn't a racist... until I moved to Thailand. You may know how I feel.

Anyways the point I wanted to get off my chest is that these <removed>will absolutely get you killed out of sheer stupidity and selfishness and the sad part is they're <removed>to even understand what they're doing.

I love riding in Thailand and ironically it's the best part of the country for me but eventually if you're on the road long enough they will ******* kill you.

"Technology should not be in the hands of those that did not invent it"

• Love It 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

I stopped riding anything on 2 wheels. Bought myself a nice big (relatively) safe pickup and am fine with getting to places slower but safer now, even it it means paying a few baht to park or drive around looking for a spot.

Not a 100% defense against getting murdered by these mental midgets (and I include the % of dumbf*** foreigners in this umbrella statement), but as good as it gets.

Edited by Sandboxer

I’ll reiterate what I’ve mentioned on the forum in the past, over the years per capita I see more westerners driving carelessly. Though yes, the whole package of driving here is dangerous on a motorcycle. Expecting the unexpected every second is the best one can do given that there’s a lot of inattention and competition on the road here.

17 minutes ago, herfiehandbag said:

"and an apparent lack of comprehension of the risks involved in some manoeuvres"

That's the whole 'kit' right there...

A lack of comprehension, and you are never going to be able to fix that one.

2 hours ago, steven100 said:

or what about those who put their left indicator / blinker on and turn right .....

they drive at high speed on the highways and major roads,  while drunk,  in the rain,  zero thought for safety.

How about those scooter drivers that leave their turn signal on continuously? 

• Thumbs Up 1

21 minutes ago, blackshadow said:

so why are there cycle lanes in some places???

One could ask, why are there sidewalks in some places?

Answer: To make way for a tree or electrical pole in the middle. Or some place to hang clothes to dry. Or a place to put tables for selling noodle soup. Or just a place to allow dog poo too pile up.

1 hour ago, Hummin said:

I rather have enough power to stay in the active line to the right which is better in my opinion, but again, then you need to keep traffic behind, which also means driving faster than the traffic.

Here we have a self proclaimed road hazard…it’s an imperative to keep an eye out for such competing hazards, but then again for some reason they think they have a upper handle on the road and immune to catastrophic consequences.

13 hours ago, NorthernRyland said:

I felt the need to rant after the sad story of the forum member being killed on his bike today and it was not appropriate to post it there.

I'm a road cyclists and motorcyclist in Chiang Mai with over 15 years experience riding the roads here so I've seen just about everything. It's nigh impossible to have a single day where you don't see or experience something shocking and appalling in regards to how the locals drive.

Just today I had a guy decide he couldn't wait 2 seconds for me to go by and decided to turn into the road anyways, nearly resulting in a collision (I had to unclip my shoes even in case I had to dismount). Yelled at the guy and he starred back at me with a brain dead look. After that I'm biking up a mountain road and some women decides as a truck is passing in the other lane that this is the best time to pass me and gets with inches of me while we're both going at very slow speeds up a 12% grade. I easily could have swerved 10 inches and that would have been enough to cause a collision.

The experience of driving in Thailand (removed) Watching them navigate an intersection without a light is another really sad display <remmoved> It shouldn't feel like a jungle survival game doing something so simple but here we are.

I like to joke that I wasn't a racist... until I moved to Thailand. You may know how I feel.

Anyways the point I wanted to get off my chest is that these <removed>will absolutely get you killed out of sheer stupidity and selfishness and the sad part is they're <removed>to even understand what they're doing.

I love riding in Thailand and ironically it's the best part of the country for me but eventually if you're on the road long enough they will ******* kill you.

You know you have a choice and it is well know the world over that riding on a motorcycle is dangerous, especially in Thailand. So decisions decisions, what to do.

So one could either use public transport or buy a motorcar.

Edited by freeworld