’Big Joke’ Backs ’Big Tor’, Aims to Restore Faith in Police

webfact

Let's put it this way....there is a mountain 3 times as high as Everest and trust in the RTP is at the very peak of that mountain. Currently the RTP are below sea level. They have a long way to climb to earn trust. And real trust has to be earner, earner by doing the right thing day after day. Seem to me they need too hire Tom Criuse too do a Mission Impossible, cos it sure ain't gonna happen in the lame duck year of the new commissioner.

• Like 1

Gen. Surachet was also expected to meet with three Taiwanese police officers as part of international collaboration efforts, amplifying the enhanced image of Thai police on the world stage.

Dream on, known the world over as one of the most corrupt police forces.

This is a big ask. Normally, respect has to be earned. The RTP at it's inception seems to have been created with a status quo from the government. We will NOT pay you a living wage, but you have a franchise, and the limit of your income is based solely on your own creativity and initiative, and you will always be protected. Is that not the case? There is one aspect of this, that always has to be taken into account. I think most Thais get it. But most foreigners do not. The police here own franchises. They are franchisees. They are not law enforcement officials. They rarely engage in law enforcement, traffic safety, or public safety.

They are not here for the benefit of the people, and they are not here to keep us safe. They are here to collect. That is all they do. If you need to give them an official title, it would be that of a revenue collection agent. Only it is their own account, that they represent. Nobody will ever touch them. They are protected at the highest levels. They do as they please, and Thailand remains a relatively lawless state. 

The extraordinary aspect of all of this, is how much of a tribute this is, to the Thai people. Despite the lack of law and order, and the extraordinary lack of a deterrent, Thailand remains a relatively safe place to live, and to travel, and crime is far lower than it would be in almost any other country, without law and order. I consider this to be a great example of how good most Thai people really are, and how honorable they are, as a people. I never feel threatened here. I can walk the streets of most cities late at night, and never feel afraid of my security, like in many other nations. The most dangerous place in this country is on the roads.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

“Aims to restore faith in police”

What faith? How can you restore something that never existed in the first place? The RTP has always been an institution that has looked out only for itself, and it will be a gargantuan (probably impossibel) task to change that.

• Like 1

One  thing I took away from all the news coverage on the national police chief selection was that most of these guys this year are at the end of their police careers age-wise, but that BJ is younger and has many more years left of potential candidacy for the top job.

So, even though he didn't get it this year -- depending on what does or doesn't come of all the currently pending investigations -- he could well be back again next year as a candidate once again for the top job.... especially if he plays nice with the current clan that have the ear of the highest party involved.

• Like 1

5 hours ago, bamnutsak said:

Fastest Resurrection ever.

I think his threat to burn down the RTP

https://aseannow.com/topic/1307916-secrets-and-integrity/

was legit and shook the foundation on which the RTP's house of cards rests.

Yes he must have rattled some cages with that statement.

Now put your money where your mouth is and tell the nation what is going on.

10 hours ago, jippytum said:

Big joke wants us to belive this was a friendly handshake.  Rubbish... Look closer they are not shaking hands big Joke is holding onto the other guys belt. 

Hope big joke should gets a refund on  his usual 10,000 baht to fake the news as it didn't work this time. 

Looks like lovers standing together

1 hour ago, bannork said:

It took BJ 14 years to rise from the rank of Superintendent to Deputy Police Chief, whilst it only took Torsak 6 years!

It's who you know, not what you know.

You are part right by saying it’s who you know, not what you know. But probably more importantly is how much you can, or are willing to pay, to get higher up. Torsak’s family could have a much fatter bank account, hence his quicker rise to the top.

• Like 1

12 hours ago, brianthainess said:

Sometimes somethings are a complete wreck, and past being 'Restored' and need to be demolished, and rebuilt starting with the very foundations it was built on. 

IMO the RTP is one of them.

agreed, 'restore' isn't the right word. they need to finally 'begin' at some point

• Thumbs Up 1

I have a strong 

15 hours ago, bamnutsak said:

Fastest Resurrection ever.

I think his threat to burn down the RTP

https://aseannow.com/topic/1307916-secrets-and-integrity/

was legit and shook the foundation on which the RTP's house of cards rests.

I have a strong suspicion that the author of The Tiger article above is carrying on his own personal vendetta against Surachat !;