British man recounts shocking encounter with racist Russians in Phuket

webfact

1 hour ago, FritsSikkink said:

From the article:

" a small restaurant and bar on the beach where all the items on the menu were in Russian. He explained that he turned on his favourite music playlist on the restaurant’s stereo ........... a bar and restaurant manager turned off his playlist after a group of Russians arrived. The manager then gave all control over the songs to the Russians. The music was switched to Russian songs, prompting the man to ask the Russian group to switch back to his playlist."

Then it started. Should have gone to another restaurant instead of trying to force his ways on other people.

I stayed 3 months in Kata Beach last year to visit my Thai and foreign friends. I lived there 20 years in the 80s till 2000. There was a Russian girl at the pool who blasted Russian music . One man asked her to put it off. She turned her head and ignored him. In a restaurant I used to go to in the past years, full of pushy Russians, sitting down where they want and shouting for their order, kids everywhere playing and running. They run their own businesses, private taxi runs, travel agencies, restaurants and probably online business too. They’ve bought up all the cheaper condos that they rent to family and friends , whole condos are mostly Russian, not forgetting the richer ones who buy the villas pushing up the prices even further. The same as happened in Bali. Because of them many foreign tourists will never come back. Pattaya , mostly Jomtien , will soon be in the same spot, there are far more choice of high rise condos in Jomtien for example than in Phuket. I left my condo behind the night market in Jomtien because of them , fortunately I have found one much more private which the owners will never rent/sell to Russians or Chinese .

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, Enoon said:

Headlines (and for that matter contributors to AN) should stop claiming "racism" every time a nationality/ethnic group start having a pop at another nationality/ethnic group.

Russains are not a race, British are not a race.

Race, Ethnicity, Nationality........three different things.

How many ******* times must people be told!

The British guy was Black and the Russians were White and the Black guys colour was mentioned by the Russians 

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Eloquent pilgrim said:

Oh look teeruk, there’s a Russian restaurant with a Russian language only menu, playing Russian music …. let’s go in, it’s the perfect place for me to polish up my victim status.

N.B. I abhor any form of racism, but this guy was as much of the problem as the racist Russkies

I get what you're saying.

If I go to an "ethnic" restaurant features of that ethnicity there besides the food are a feature, not a bug.

On the other hand, perhaps the issue is the surprise about the decent dominance of the Russkie brigade in that area.

I remember during previous Russian boom times in Pattaya, the baht bus drivers started to speak in Russian, not English. 

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, Enoon said:

Headlines (and many contributors to AN) should stop claiming "racism" every time a nationality/ethnic group start having a pop at another nationality/ethnic group.

Russains are not a race, British are not a race.

Race, Ethnicity, Nationality........three different things.

How many ******* times must people be told!

Don't be naive.

Different things but perceived by the majority of humans as the same thing. 

47 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

It seems countries like Russia, Poland, Hungary are holding the fort against migrants so not too surprising some Russians are racist

Perhaps but Phuket isn't in Russia. Not yet anyway. So it's the Russkie hordes who are the migrants there.

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, Dmaxdan said:

You've obviously never been a victim of racial abuse which is abhorrent on every level.

Racists are nothing but vile scum.

Well, unless the object of that racism is hatred toward ethnic Russians.  That's Ok.  :thumbsup:  Right?

• Confused 1

5 minutes ago, ChipButty said:

My good friend Vladimir told me in Russia, Russians are racist look at all the ethnic minorities, 

What's your point?

Who does Putin send to die in Ukraine?

Overwhelmingly ethnic minorities from the provinces with not many "real" Russians from Moscow and St. Petersburg.

Edited by Jingthing
  • Thumbs Up 2

1 hour ago, aqua4 said:

The headline is strange. British man recounts shocking encounter with racist Russians in Phuket. I thought my word, white people calling white people racist in Thailand. This must be a new twist in the politically correct tales.

Not strange.  The West has declared Open Season on all Russians.  If you hail from a Western country, you're suppose to fall in line and hate Russians, Russian ethnicity, Russian history and Russia culture.  That includes calling Russian businesses "racists."

• Confused 1

One really don't have to be a victim of racial abuse to realise that it is abhorrent on every level. Racists are nothing but vile scum - very true, very true.

Unfortunately, racism has existed for centuries, albeit it been reduced (or on a low key) now, it still exists every where on this planet.

It's just that when you, a family member or a colleague experience it first hand, that we start condemning it vociferously.

Calling Thai people racists, is very strange (comparatively) and never heard of Russians on this count before.

2 minutes ago, connda said:

Not strange.  The West has declared Open Season on all Russians.  If you hail from a Western country, you're suppose to fall in line and hate Russians, Russian ethnicity, Russian history and Russia culture.  That includes calling Russian businesses "racists."

I call B.S.

It's about Putin and his genocidal war. 

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

Unless you know the context and reality of the story, it makes little sense. There is however a lot of racism around the globe, even in sacred Britain where Steven Lawrence was beaten to death by white thugs and the police did nothing for years until public pressure was brought to bear.

• Thanks 1

Racism is a disease that everyone has, no matter the colour of his ass.

Racism and reverse racism is a fact, and it's cleverly ridden by elites around the world to create tension and hatred among the masses of sub-humans, so they continues to laugh of us and rule us.

• Thumbs Up 2