More details on Thai taxation of overseas income

webfact

15 minutes ago, TroubleandGrumpy said:

Careful - international deposits are recorded - and the wife might be required to pay income tax on all of that money she was 'paid' by you.  I thought the same thing - but it also has hairs on it.

Yes, he's just passing the tax issue onto a relative(s).   They now have the foreign income to push them over tax threshholds.

All these ways people suggest to evade thai tax, are risky as it is clear you are trying to evade tax.  Maybe low risk of getting caught, maybe not depending on technology.

• Thanks 1

9 minutes ago, TroubleandGrumpy said:

However, wait until mid-late 2024 when (hopefully) Thai RD has provided clarifications and details of the process

No thanks, you'll be a hooked fish under their thumb after June 27th.  Unless it is satisfactorily clarified and resolved prior, I'll be leaving Thailand prior to that date (and returning sometime in 2025).  

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, BE88 said:

<snip>

And how could you prove that it is only a saving from previous years and not a profit????

By showing the money was held for a period of time, perhaps?

1 minute ago, MeePeeMai said:

No thanks, you'll be a hooked fish under their thumb after June 27th.  Unless it is satisfactorily clarified and resolved prior, I'll be leaving Thailand prior to that date (and returning sometime in 2025).  

Yes you will be a tax resident then, and for those planning to return to Thailand for short periods (after Jan 1 2025), you are right and it would be wise to leave before that date in June. 

15 minutes ago, CTwelve said:

No need to worry imo. This is only going to be a concern for those who are legit evading paying income tax. 

The announcement only suggests they are aiming to close the loophole that allows Thai Tax residents including foreigners to avoid paying any income tax by leaving that income outside of the country for a year. That is it.

They might eventually require foreigners to file / declare yearly income, but they haven't announced that.

Yes that is who they are after - those using that loophole already.

But whop else will they catch in the net is the question and also the problem.

Until it is clear how they are going to apply this new rule, if it goes ahead, it is not 'all clear'. 

• Like 1

It isn't clear for sure. Money transferred to Thailand from overseas was likely from bank A overseas to Bank B in Thailand. How can bank B ascertain that the money was earned income not savings? If I have an account overseas that was used to keep savings and earn interest, does the Thai bank deduct tax automatically?

Why would we have to prove it is not earned income? Why shouldn't the Thai government have to prove it was?

31 minutes ago, BE88 said:

I don't agree, if I have a bank account in my country and the certainty that all taxes have been paid, only if you have an undeclared account in some tax haven it is very likely that you have not paid taxes.

But generally for people with a normal standard of living the question doesn't even arise.

I agree that for most people, money in savings accounts has been taxed by 'home' country.   

But you read here about:

1. Rental income from renting out your house in another country.  Sometimes its taxed by 'home' country, sometimes not.  Australians mentiin that.

2. Dividends.  For UK non-uk tax resident expats, dividends are not taxed in UK.  

3. Interest on savings. Might or might not be taxed yet.

4. Tax haven money, as you say.

So all these sources could accumulate in a 'savings' account.  And yet never been taxed.

The other factor is what rate of tax has been paid in home country.  Could be lower than thai rate, leading to tax on 'savings'.

Edited by deejai33
  • Like 2

4 minutes ago, TroubleandGrumpy said:

Yes that is who they are after - those using that loophole already.

But whop else will they catch in the net is the question and also the problem.

Until it is clear how they are going to apply this new rule, if it goes ahead, it is not 'all clear'. 

Yes, but they are not going to bypass international tax treaties. That would be a political and ethical disaster for Thailand and destroy foreign relations.

If you paid tax on your income they will not go for it again.

Edited by CTwelve

2 hours ago, Mike Teavee said:

Your UK Pension will always be taxed in the UK though the 1st £12,570 will be taxed at 0% rate (subtly different than saying it's "Tax Free" but the end result is the same). 

<snip>

To be perfectly accurate (if a little pedantic)  your UK income is regarded as the total of [earned income + unearned income (interest, dividends etc) + pension] received in the relevant tax year (April - April)

Then the personal allowance  (£12,570 in this example) is deducted and taxed at 0%, so effectively tax-free and the remainder is taxed at various rates depending upon your personal and financial circumstances and the "tax bands" at the time. This ignores any allowances that may apply from time to time.

Edited by VBF
  • Thumbs Up 1

6 minutes ago, CTwelve said:

Even if everyone who lives in Thailand needs to fill in an annual tax report then just declare it as 'savings' 'tax already paid'.  Same for pensions. 

All seems likely a storm in a tea cup.

Logic would prove you right, but Thai logic?

5 minutes ago, VBF said:

By showing the money was held for a period of time, perhaps?

With a savings account you shouldn't have any problems but if you have a tax declaration from your country it would be better, if you don't have one it's all subject to checks with probable requests for tax assistance from your country.

• Thumbs Up 1

2 minutes ago, BE88 said:

Logic would prove you right, but Thai logic?

With a savings account you shouldn't have any problems but if you have a tax declaration from your country it would be better, if you don't have one it's all subject to checks with probable requests for tax assistance from your country.

I can just imagine how useful that would be with the UK or US or other Western governments own bureaucracy and privacy rules ????

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

33 minutes ago, TroubleandGrumpy said:

Not when/if the Immigration requires an annual tax clearance as one of the conditions for renewal.

And there are so many other ways thius can go wrong for Expats.

However, wait until mid-late 2024 when (hopefully) Thai RD has provided clarifications and details of the process.

PS - some say I am over-reacting. Yes that is probably true. BUT I have had many years of expoerience in dealing with Govt Depts in Aust (especially ATO) and I know about many people who got caught out.  And you do not want to get caught out by the Thai RD - much harsher penalties than ATO.

Stay across it and stay informed - by end 2024 we will know how bad or good it really is.

Thailand Revenue Department has an online form in English for suggestions on their regulations and practices. Ask for clarifications and/or confirmation of proposed tax policy, see if they respond that will be by email. 

• Haha 1

3 minutes ago, Srikcir said:

Thailand Revenue Department has an online form in English for suggestions on their regulations and practices. Ask for clarifications and/or confirmation of proposed tax policy, see if they respond that will be by email. 

Did that already - last week - no response ????

• Like 2

16 minutes ago, deejai33 said:

I agree that for most people, money in savings accounts has been taxed by 'home' country.   

But you read here about:

1. Rental income from renting out your house in another country.  Sometimes its taxed by 'home' country, sometimes not.  Australians mentiin that.

2. Dividends.  For UK non-uk tax resident expats, dividends are not taxed in UK.  

So both these sources could accumulate in a 'savings' account.  And yet never been taxed.

3. Tax haven money, as you say.

The other factor is what rate of tax has been paid in home country.  Could be lower than thai rate, leading to tax on 'savings'.

I agree with a previous comment that the Thai government has created many tax accountant positions.

Everything remains in absolute fog in many cases and therefore they will try to bring in as much capital as possible in these situations.

Absolutely not, if you have already paid your taxes it would be against international conventions to make you pay another Thai tax on the same capital.

2 hours ago, Iamloki said:

I'm curious... does Thailand have a standard deduction in lieu of itemized deductions?

Or, do they consider the taxable income as that amount taxed in the source country?

Thailand does have itemized deductions in addition to the standard deduction. There are a lot: for elderly parents, kids, childbirth expenses, charitable donations, life and health insurance premiums, investing in retirement funds, sometimes a special promotion for buying consumer goods. There is also big 190k deduction for over 65s.

• Thanks 1

11 hours ago, NanLaew said:

That is NOT the way a "double tax agreement" works.

If tax has already been paid in the country where the money comes from, it does not need to be deducted again on receipt in Thailand.

I am sure that in their mangling of their language means to say that the amount of tax paid in the source country can be deducted from the amount of any tax owed in Thailand.

Maybe they just don't know what they are doing Yet .

One thinks that they sorted 100% ( if they can) Before making this public.

But this is Thailand and one must expect this rigmarole.

• Like 1

9 hours ago, jacko45k said:

It would all get rather difficult if one was required to 'prove it' by Thai authorities.

Especially when we’re talking about a bureaucracy populated by half-wits who are too lazy to learn English.

• Confused 1