Cheap Android boxes and malware.

phetphet

With billions of dollars being scammed on a daily basis all over the world, and with fake this and that right under our noses, sophisticated hacking into big business, government and banks, an infected Android box, while still not a good thing, is the least worrisome of the lot...

4 hours ago, Expat68 said:

All I use mine for is watching TV. Switch on scroll for channel, that's it!!

Quite. I have had several over the years and not a problem. 

Google is very integrated so I have used a separate google account just for the android boxes. You don't need to lock an empty box.

• Thumbs Up 1

• 2 weeks later...

Every Android box available anywhere in the world, be it a cheap or expensive one, is manufactured in China.

The more reputable ones like Nvidia or Minix will have fewer risks, but every box is loaded with malware. This includes those boxes provided by 3bb - true and AIS, because they are just a standard cheap box produced in mass by a third party company.

You may think it doesn't affect you because you have nothing to hide, but since it uses your internet, be it wireless or hardwired, it will see every other device on your network, and most likely see things on those devices you would want to hide from prying eyes.

• Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

15 hours ago, BenStark said:

Every Android box available anywhere in the world, be it a cheap or expensive one, is manufactured in China.

The more reputable ones like Nvidia or Minix will have fewer risks, but every box is loaded with malware. This includes those boxes provided by 3bb - true and AIS, because they are just a standard cheap box produced in mass by a third party company.

You may think it doesn't affect you because you have nothing to hide, but since it uses your internet, be it wireless or hardwired, it will see every other device on your network, and most likely see things on those devices you would want to hide from prying eyes.

I don't use android TV boxes anymore, but when I did, I found it was best to create a guest wifi network (If your router allows you to) exclusively for the Android box and disable intranet access for that guest network. This should prevent the android box from being able to "see" other devices on your home intranet.

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 10/6/2023 at 10:22 AM, sandyf said:

Quite. I have had several over the years and not a problem. 

Google is very integrated so I have used a separate google account just for the android boxes. You don't need to lock an empty box.

You just have to make double sure when setting up the Google account in the box not to select any of the "Sync" or "Share" options with any of your other devices or accounts.  Very easy to inadvertently share accounts and a RPIA to back out. 

12 hours ago, dddave said:

You just have to make double sure when setting up the Google account in the box not to select any of the "Sync" or "Share" options with any of your other devices or accounts.  Very easy to inadvertently share accounts and a RPIA to back out. 

My main google account is "googlemail.com"

2 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

googlemail.com is the same as gmail.com 

Not quite, googlemail.com was used in the UK prior to 2010 when it was discontinued and merged with Gmail.

My post was a roundabout way to indicate I am not a novice with google as implied by a previous post, for various reasons I manage 4 google accounts, the android box being one of them.

4 minutes ago, sandyf said:

Not quite, googlemail.com was used in the UK prior to 2010 when it was discontinued and merged with Gmail.

My post was a roundabout way to indicate I am not a novice with google as implied by a previous post, for various reasons I manage 4 google accounts, the android box being one of them.

Ok I'll make it clearer, googlemail.com email addresses also work as gmail.com

19 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

Ok I'll make it clearer, googlemail.com email addresses also work as gmail.com

Why do you think you need to be clearer.

You really think that after nearly 20 years I do not know how to read google emails, that is even worse than the guy that tried to tell me I need to set it up properly.

When Gmail.com started out the domain name was already in use in UK and Germany so a different domain name had to be used until they resolved the issue. Now both domain names point to the same mailbox.

As I said "Not quite" , didn't start out the same but ended up in the same place.