Being a loner in retirement

On 10/8/2023 at 3:04 PM, georgegeorgia said:

Well I was proud of him and subscribed only to hear him in his latest vlog say that he paid a "cleaner " 200 baht a day to come in 3 times a week to clean up and chat to him for 4 hours  , I was disappointed,I thought he was sitting independently type 

He did not pay to have someone chat with him for four hours. He paid to clean and chat with no strings attached.  

• Thumbs Up 1

On 10/9/2023 at 2:13 PM, SunsetT said:

The only time I used to feel uncomfortably alone when content to live on my own for years in the UK was at Christmas. With the Christmas build up and the palpable hysteria on Christmas Eve and nearly everyone in the homes around me disappearing to be with friends and family over Christmas, it felt really strange and as if I should be accepting invitations and/or doing something special. But I preferred to choose not to and to treat it like any other day. I love it here in Thailand, where, beyond the Christmas carols and decorations in the supermarkets attempting to cash in, nothing happens on Christmas day and Christmas comes and goes like any other day.

I have completely no interest in festive days , western or here in Thailand. The decorations for Xmas in the supermarkets are kind of stupid because it is a buddist country . Only "holiday" I keep out of sight is songkran, of course. It is great here in Thailand , all western holidays are ignored , except for new year .

• Sad 1

On 10/9/2023 at 5:29 PM, hotandsticky said:

Depends how long it takes you to die; depends whether you want someone to administer pain killers when you are writhing in agony and can't get off your ar5e, let alone get to the medicine cabinet. I am not trying to build a case for not being alone, I am just suggesting that people picture the potential end game. If they haven't already taken steps to ensure where/how their assets are going after death then they probably haven't considered that.

Being alone does not mean I can't contact "outside" help.  If you are completely helpless , you may have hundreds friends or family , but you can't contact them either.

About assets , I can't take steps to ensure where they go.

4 minutes ago, FlorC said:

I have completely no interest in festive days , western or here in Thailand. The decorations for Xmas in the supermarkets are kind of stupid because it is a buddist country . Only "holiday" I keep out of sight is songkran, of course. It is great here in Thailand , all western holidays are ignored , except for new year .

I agree. Load of commercial crap.

7 minutes ago, FlorC said:

Being alone does not mean I can't contact "outside" help.  If you are completely helpless , you may have hundreds friends or family , but you can't contact them either.

About assets , I can't take steps to ensure where they go.

I don't understand your last comment. I can't think of many situations where the owner of assets cannot control where they go.

On 10/8/2023 at 4:17 PM, SAFETY FIRST said:

It must be tough for some.

I'm lucky, I've been working offshore on a rotation, got a big family and a few good friends, my children keep me busy on my time off. 

I see Dan about Thailand's vlogs, he's here with his wife and children but he's trying to get more foreigners living here.

I wish he'd stop, too many foreigners here now.

I'd like to know how many from the west, retire here and become lonely, it can be very unhealthy, sadly I reckon it can be fatal to for some. 

I tend to agree. I was solo for nearly two decades. Dated a bit. Had a few relationships, but nothing serious. Then, I met my current Thai woman, and after being with her awhile, I realized I had really missed being with a wonderful woman. For me, nothing beats a quiet home, with an outstanding woman who is a great mate, a fun person to be around and always has your back. 

Every day with her is a very good day. She is the same lovely woman from one day to the next. She has a smile on her face when she wakes up in the morning. Never experienced that in the states. Some Thais manifest that unbearable lightness of being, that is so delightful to be around. I cannot really get enough of that spirit, and feel so blessed to be around that, and to have found such a well adjusted and delightful creature.

I don't know if it gets any better than that. Sure beats living alone in the desert. For me, anyway. 

• Like 1

17 hours ago, georgegeorgia said:

I believe you , I think your a realist kind of person especially made by your years of nursing and experiencing things others don't experience ????

Thank you.

Sitting ( we called it 'specialing" ) with a woman that took panadol to kill herself while she slowly died fully concious, or sitting with a young boy as he bled copiously from his bowel does make one look at life from a different perspective.

Something people that make movies don't know:

when someone dies, their eyes don't stay closed if you move the eyelids over them. The eyelids default position after death is open. Have to be taped closed.

16 hours ago, hotandsticky said:

I don't understand your last comment. I can't think of many situations where the owner of assets cannot control where they go.

I don't want to leave anything. With a slow death like cancer , there is enough time. With quick death like stroke or accident (thailand !!) or heart attack , there is no time , and that worries me a lot !

39 minutes ago, FlorC said:

I don't want to leave anything. With a slow death like cancer , there is enough time. With quick death like stroke or accident (thailand !!) or heart attack , there is no time , and that worries me a lot !

You suggested in your post that you had assets - and were concerned  "About assets , I can't take steps to ensure where they go."

Now you say that you don't want to leave anything - so what is your issue should you not encounter a slow death?

• Like 1

On 10/8/2023 at 4:17 PM, SAFETY FIRST said:

It must be tough for some.

I'm lucky, I've been working offshore on a rotation, got a big family and a few good friends, my children keep me busy on my time off. 

I see Dan about Thailand's vlogs, he's here with his wife and children but he's trying to get more foreigners living here.

I wish he'd stop, too many foreigners here now.

I'd like to know how many from the west, retire here and become lonely, it can be very unhealthy, sadly I reckon it can be fatal to for some. 

I think those videos could very well be produced more due to a financial incentive… Anyway when he disposes of his interest in AN he might very well be drowning in cash and cease production….

Thinking about AN I do wonder which ‘Marketing Genius’ decided to change the name from Thaivisa and also its content…….still it remains a happy playground for many and a useful forum for some….

Edited by JAS21

19 hours ago, spidermike007 said:

I tend to agree. I was solo for nearly two decades. Dated a bit. Had a few relationships, but nothing serious. Then, I met my current Thai woman, and after being with her awhile, I realized I had really missed being with a wonderful woman. For me, nothing beats a quiet home, with an outstanding woman who is a great mate, a fun person to be around and always has your back. 

Every day with her is a very good day. She is the same lovely woman from one day to the next. She has a smile on her face when she wakes up in the morning. Never experienced that in the states. Some Thais manifest that unbearable lightness of being, that is so delightful to be around. I cannot really get enough of that spirit, and feel so blessed to be around that, and to have found such a well adjusted and delightful creature.

I don't know if it gets any better than that. Sure beats living alone in the desert. For me, anyway. 

I agree with all that ...been married to my Aging Asian Babe for 21 years now ... every day is a good day ...even the ones when she is being just a little difficult ....phew

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, JAS21 said:

I agree with all that ...been married to my Aging Asian Babe for 21 years now ... every day is a good day ...even the ones when she is being just a little difficult ....phew

Enjoy your miraculously good fortune. My gal has about one or two bad days a year. I just say nice things to her, stroke her hair, and realize we are all entitled to an off day. 

Edited by spidermike007

23 hours ago, hotandsticky said:

You suggested in your post that you had assets - and were concerned  "About assets , I can't take steps to ensure where they go."

Now you say that you don't want to leave anything - so what is your issue should you not encounter a slow death?

This is one to my biggest fears , that everything I own falls in the wrong hands.