Thai insurance broker - which is best?

TravelerEastWest

I love these. How much experience do you have of brokers in your home country. Most people pick one and then tell everyone they are the best, then tells everyone they are useless when a claim gets denied.

It's like doctors, I worked in healthcare all my life and I hear "oh Dr XXXXX is a wonderful doctor" and I think too myself what criteria are you using to determine he or she is a great doctor.....it's usually whether they are nice to you or not ie bedside manner. I don'[t care about bedside manner, what I want is a doctor who diagnoses ailments correctly.....which most of them can't.

• Like 1

31 minutes ago, retarius said:

I love these. How much experience do you have of brokers in your home country. Most people pick one and then tell everyone they are the best, then tells everyone they are useless when a claim gets denied.

It's like doctors, I worked in healthcare all my life and I hear "oh Dr XXXXX is a wonderful doctor" and I think too myself what criteria are you using to determine he or she is a great doctor.....it's usually whether they are nice to you or not ie bedside manner. I don'[t care about bedside manner, what I want is a doctor who diagnoses ailments correctly.....which most of them can't.

I have zero recent experience with brokers in America as I have lived in Thailand for almost 20 years and other countries before that. In America I usually got health insurance through work so no broker.

I like doctors who have great bedside manner it is very important. Also they should be technically good not one or another. And they should stay up to date with new research...

So back to my question do you have any suggestions for the best broker in Thailand?

They should have a wide knowledge of plans and be able to help you fit the correct plans and explain them in detail and then if there ever is a problem with a claim they should help you...

• Like 1

The main criteria when opting for a broker are:

1 - He should be experienced and well acquainted with the different Insurance company conditions and fee-structures offering policies for what you want to insure.

2 - At least as important would be, that in case of claims that he would represent you and deal with the unbelievable quagmire of Thai bureaucracy in these matters.

> So don't necessarily go for the broker that offers the cheapest policy, but have a personal talk/communication with the person that would handle your case (which can be different than the 'sales person').  When that talk/communication inspires confidence in his knowledge/abilities and the brokerage company he works for, that would be your man...

Edited by Red Phoenix
  • Like 1

It depends on what you want insurance coverage for.  May I suggest that you use a website that gives you comparisons between policies and premiums - and then decide which broker to use. Not all brokers offer policies from all insurers - be aware of that.

I would definitely use a broker - going 'direct' means dealing with their head office and/or call centre and that is often no the best. That is why brokers in Thailand are better and cheaper than going direct - the insurance companies dont want all the trouble of dealing with a customer directly.

There is a big Expat Club in Chiang Mai - maybe worth talking to them.

• Like 1

Red Phoenix,

"So don't necessarily go for the broker that offers the cheapest policy, but have a personal talk/communication with the person that would handle your case (which can be different than the 'sales person').  When that talk/communication inspires confidence in his knowledge/abilities and the brokerage company he works for, that would be your man..."

Good point about getting to know who would handle my case...

Any thoughts between AA and Pacific Prime?

1 hour ago, TravelerEastWest said:

Red Phoenix,

"So don't necessarily go for the broker that offers the cheapest policy, but have a personal talk/communication with the person that would handle your case (which can be different than the 'sales person').  When that talk/communication inspires confidence in his knowledge/abilities and the brokerage company he works for, that would be your man..."

Good point about getting to know who would handle my case...

Any thoughts between AA and Pacific Prime?

If you already have a "case" that may be contentious, it's probably irrelevant what broker you choose and all a bit late as well.

When I shop around (every annual renewal), I have found AA to be good, but you do need to drill down into the specifics with each policy you pursue from their recommendations. Pay attention to wait limitations, exclusions, medical examinations and the like. I am not familiar with Chiang Mai and any local brokers there.

Good luck.

AA is good if you are going to have a a Thai issued policy (which I definitely do not recommend). They cannot handle intetnationally issued expat policies (which is what I recommend). For that a broker headquartered in either your home country or the country where the insurer is based is preferrable and make sure they have experience with international expat policies.

• Thumbs Up 2

On 10/9/2023 at 7:06 PM, Sheryl said:

AA is good if you are going to have a a Thai issued policy (which I definitely do not recommend). They cannot handle intetnationally issued expat policies (which is what I recommend). For that a broker headquartered in either your home country or the country where the insurer is based is preferrable and make sure they have experience with international expat policies.

Thank you Sheryl,

I plan to get a lowest cost plan with a high deductible and most likely will never use it. It is only for a ten year LTR visa good for $100,000. So a plan issued in Thailand may be OK? I think of it as a cost of the visa

I will use Medicare in America in a couple of years from now. At the moment I will use a US based travel insurance when I visit my daughter when she goes off to college. A while ago you posted an American  travel insurance suggestion and I will use that one. Although the name has slipped my mind...

Edited by TravelerEastWest

9 hours ago, TravelerEastWest said:

Thank you Sheryl,

I plan to get a lowest cost plan with a high deductible and most likely will never use it. It is only for a ten year LTR visa good for $100,000. So a plan issued in Thailand may be OK? I think of it as a cost of the visa

I will use Medicare in America in a couple of years from now. At the moment I will use a US based travel insurance when I visit my daughter when she goes off to college. A while ago you posted an American  travel insurance suggestion and I will use that one. Although the name has slipped my mind...

If you only want to meet visa requirement and won't use it then doesn't matter what policy you get.

Just make sure you can easily and quickly handle hospital bills of 3 million  plus baht anytime while here in Thsiland as that is what something major can cost. Being healthy now is no guarantee and certsinly doesn't render you immune to accidents which are common here due to terrible and reckless driving. Even as a pedestrian, you can get mowed down even in a crosswalk  (as I was). 

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Sheryl said:

If you only want to meet visa requirement and won't use it then doesn't matter what policy you get.

Just make sure you can easily and quickly handle hospital bills of 3 million  plus baht anytime while here in Thsiland as that is what something major can cost. Being healthy now is no guarantee and certsinly doesn't render you immune to accidents which are common here due to terrible and reckless driving. Even as a pedestrian, you can get mowed down even in a crosswalk  (as I was). 

I agree with you and I have cash and stocks etc here in Thailand for a sudden emergency. But my new insurance policy will cover accidents etc above 300,000 baht - my deductible.

As i get older I will increase my insurance but not my deductible as I believe in insuring against a catastrophe not an  inconvenience...