You have less than 10 years?

5 hours ago, Expat68 said:

I am a realist, that is why I have girlfriend half my age!! Does not ask for money/talk, no jewellery, no short skirts and she keeps me young.

Ah, So you bought one of these AI Robot ladies. 

At least you don't need to blow them up now days. :giggle:

robot girlfriend.JPG

Just now, quake said:

Ah, So you bought one of these AI Robot ladies. 

At least you don't need to blow them up now days. :giggle:

robot girlfriend.JPG

Hahaha. You are only jealous, it has taken me 30 years to find her, I am not letting this one go

• Love It 1
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, georgegeorgia said:

One thing is I'm a realist.

And one thing I enjoy in my workplace which is a very large hospital is to tell older workmates usually in their 70's that they have less than 10 years left in probality.

Just the look on their faces the shock tells me they never thought of it.

Those of you now who are say 73/74 surely you must know !

I'm always bemused when I see their face looking like shock ,like they didn't know they would be going ????

I remember telling a old workmate a few years back ,77yo and still a cleaner ,wife was a Filipino , working all hours , he ended up reporting me for harassment just for letting him know about his lifespan and how he was wasting his 5 years left 

I had another cleaner approach me in the staff mealroom and say you me "George you really are a low B**"*"d" !!

But I was just giving realist facts .

Does it make you a different person ,your plans ,doing more before the 10 years is up ??

Do you actually realise your not going up be here in 10 years or are you a denier ???

My late father was the same ,he used to get angry when I told him 

I'm 75...glad to have you on board...!

• Thanks 1

14 hours ago, georgegeorgia said:

Do you actually realise your not going up be here in 10 years or are you a denier ???

My late father was the same ,he used to get angry when I told him

I must be a denier, as I just turned 74 and still plans 30 years ahead...:whistling:

My later father also didn't think much about age, so he never stopped playing tennis and continued till he was 104...????

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

I actually witnessed an old boy dying in a bar last week despite the best efforts of the emergency services to revive him. It didn't really make me question my own lifespan, my first thought was I hoped he went out with a well stuffed check-bin.

• Haha 1

You have less than 10 years?

I hope so.  I'm not particularly fond of living any longer that 10 years is this elderly body which is doing what human bodies do in old age.  <laughs>  Now I completely sympathize with all those "Old People Talking About Their Aches and Pains" that we laughed at when we were young, dumb, and full of....... well, you know.  :giggle:

Edited by connda
  • Like 1

18 hours ago, BritManToo said:

And yet, you're the one working just a few more years before retiring to Thailand.

PS. Most people I've encountered didn't make it to 70.

Yep.  Dang.  David Bowie only made it to 69. 

9 hours ago, newnative said:

I hated being robbed of two years of international travel by covid--and hope to make some of it up by trying to see more of the places I want to visit while I am still healthy and relatively spry.  

Facebook reminds me periodically that time is flying--and seemingly flying at a faster speed the older I get. 

Exactly! Great post & great attitude ???? Good Luck

• Like 2

10 years left ... been telling myself that since I hit 30 yrs old.

Now, I've been retired almost as long as I've worked my adult life ... hmm, go figure.

I've made it more than most I know, and may even squeeze out another 10 yrs.  Got a cousin 83, and a brother will 76 at year's end.

• Like 1

11 hours ago, newnative said:

Not long ago, I posted on some thread that 70 is the absolute worst of the dreaded birthdays ending in zero.  I think anybody who has reached 70 is well-aware of the limited time they have left--and we don't need reminding, thank you very much.  Unless you have a terminal illness, nobody knows how many years they have left--and that includes the OP with his 'you-have-less-than-10-years'.  Maybe, maybe not.

My Mom lived to 101 and my Dad to 95.  Mom had Alzheimer's but Dad was sharp as a tack and active right till the end.  What that bodes for me is anyone's guess.  However many years I have left, I want to make the most of them.  I hated being robbed of two years of international travel by covid--and hope to make some of it up by trying to see more of the places I want to visit while I am still healthy and relatively spry.  

Facebook reminds me periodically that time is flying--and seemingly flying at a faster speed the older I get.  The other day, it reminded me that it was 4 years ago that my partner and I started our renovation of the last condo we owned before moving on to houses.  I would have guessed 2 or 3 years--I have a terrible sense of time and always guess low.                   

Yesterday, we sold the second renovated house we have done and we moved into a new house that is just being finished--a project that has taken since February, when the foundation was laid.  Being involved, for the first time, with a new house construction from start to finish has been interesting, fun, and--often--hard work and challenging.  But, ultimately rewarding to see it all finally come together.  However, I think we are both ready to hit the 'pause button' on these projects and hit 'fast forward' on more traveling and doing other things.

One thing I am certain of is Thailand has provided me and my partner an interesting, rewarding, and enjoyable time since we arrived in 2010--which does not seem very long ago.  It was a good decision for both of us to move here.

Why did you need to get so personal and explain exactly what you're doing and what you've done? Are you after validation?

With every such post about death, there are a certain number of individuals that use it as an excuse to inform everyone about how successful, or happy their lives have been.

I don't really care if a person has spent the last 10 years on a bar stool or done nothing but watch TV for 10 years or travelled around the world or made a fortune. None of this matters once you've gone. There will be no meeting place where people can compare notes on how successful their lives have been. 

Just do anything you want or as little as you want. It's all the same. All you need to do is drink, eat and breathe until it's over.

Many people seem to be stressed about making something of their lives. Got to do this, got to do that or I failed... The less of that you do, the more content you will be until you expire.

Everyone is equal in death.

For me personally, I'll be lucky to make another year but I'm ok with it because it just doesn't matter. When you can truly accept your end, living is a bit easier.

Edited by JensenZ
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, georgegeorgia said:

Does it make you a different person ,your plans ,doing more before the 10 years is up ??

I don't have 10yrs left.

Am ok with that.

I just live day to day... no plans.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

22 hours ago, JayClay said:

I would imagine the shock is more to do with the fact that you've made a wholey inappropriate statement than anything else.

Who on earth goes around reminding people that they're going to die soon?

Have to agree 100%.

Seems somewhat sadistic to go around telling people that.

I don't know how long I have left, but I certainly hope it's less than 10 years, given my rate of bodily decay.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

58 minutes ago, JensenZ said:

With every such post about death, there are a certain number of individuals that use it as an excuse to inform everyone about how successful, or happy their lives have been.

Errrr, without such posters there wouldn't be many threads longer than a page, so we should welcome personal stories if we want something to read on here.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

The OP seems to suffer from a lot of anxiety and depression. I hope he opts for some mood medicine.

And I worked in a huge hospital at a stupid job for a while -truly soul-killing. And he's winding down in Australia and uncertain about his future. I have a lot of empathy for him.

Thankfully, that empathy does not preclude pointing out what a plonker her is.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

I'm happy in a way that this thread has made a lot of you think and take notice about life .

I realise a lot of guys in their 70's that I meet either are ignoring that fact of life or in denial .

So I'm happy if this has made you more aware , particularly you guys who are "planners" and will hopefully now get your "affairs in order "

I actually said this (jokingly )to another hospital cleaner I was working the night shift with  the other night but luckily he misunderstood, a 70's guy original from Yugoslavia,still working still slaving at his age for more money  ""hopefully you got your affairs in order "

He stopped mopping ,looked at me confused then 

he replied"yeah I mop stairway already "????

no idea what I was talking about ????

Edited by georgegeorgia
  • Like 1
  • Sad 2

18 minutes ago, georgegeorgia said:

I'm happy in a way that this thread has made a lot of you think and take notice about life .

Nah.

It's just reinforced,  what most posters think of you. :thumbsup:

I must admit i still have problems with the Thai written language here.

You got that all to come,  if you come live here.

enjoy. :thumbsup:

kunt joke.JPG

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

8 minutes ago, quake said:

Nah.

It's just reinforced,  what most posters think of you. :thumbsup:

I must admit i still have problems with the Thai written language here.

You got that all to come,  if you come live here.

enjoy. :thumbsup:

kunt joke.JPG

You'll forgive me for saying so but that was pretty shallow.

• Thumbs Up 2