Rethinking Thailand’s Defamation Law

webfact

I had apparently misunderstood the law. I thought it was different than in other countries. This article (first sentence, bolded) implies that it is not defamation if the statements made are true. 

I understood that it didn't matter in Thailand whether the statements made were factually true or not, simply the act of saying or repeating them damaged the reputation of the important person and so it was illegal i.e. it was the intended damage to the reputation rather than the truth of the accusation that was criminal.

Can someone clear up my befuddled brain.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

System is abused here, no doubt, by even mentioning a truth. But we could do with a bit of this in the West... i.e. people making false claims through the media of historical sexual abuse on innocent parties, who are deemed automatically guilty and subsequently have their name and reputation dragged through the mud with no affect to reputations of false accusers.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

The truth can hurt, but that is not always defamation. Outdated laws that can be used for everything should be all reviewed. Protecting people is ok, but over protecting or use a law to hide the truth is wrong. I know several laws more that be revised

• Thumbs Up 2

7 hours ago, bamnutsak said:

This is the bedrock of the Thai Social System, based on Sakdina and codified with the Law of the Three Seals.

Granted, it is abused, but what's the point of having power if you can't abuse it?

It will NEVER change. Why would the Powers-that-Be allow it?

Very true.

The biggest problem with Thai defamation laws is the item that states, the truth is no defence.

So even if what you say is true, say something nasty about someone and you could be looking at a defamation charge.

I'm not saying there aren't others but Thailand is the only place I know where that caveat exists.  Its clearly there to protect the 'elite'.  They may well, be a cheating corrupt bstard,they may have been succesfully prosecuted in court for it.  But state it publicly and you could be in a lot of trouble.

Remember the case of Jonathan Head of the BBC and the Thai lawyer who had been convicted of being involved in a property fraud?

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Felton Jarvis said:

Thailand’s defamation law is like none in the rest of the world. When truth is no defense, all you really have is a legal mechanism to protect wealthy elites.

Spot on - sorry I didn't see your post before posting myself We agree on that one 100%.

• Love It 1

16 minutes ago, MangoKorat said:

The biggest problem with Thai defamation laws is the item that states, the truth is no defence.

So even if what you say is true, say something nasty about someone and you could be looking at a defamation charge.

I'm not saying there aren't others but Thailand is the only place I know where that caveat exists.  Its clearly there to protect the 'elite'.  They may well, be a cheating corrupt bstard,they may have been succesfully prosecuted in court for it.  But state it publicly and you could be in a lot of trouble.

Remember the case of Jonathan Head of the BBC and the Thai lawyer who had been convicted of being involved in a property fraud?

There was also the case of some famous/powerful guy abusing his girlfriend, but she faced more jailtime for coming forwars with the information than he would for the physical assault, so she withdrew her statement (if I remember correctly) 

Edited by SABloke

13 minutes ago, SABloke said:

There was also the case of some famous/powerful guy abusing his girlfriend, but she faced more jailtime for coming forwars with the information than he would for the physical assault, so she withdrew her statement (if I remember correctly) 

Its a shocker really and clearly designed to protect the rich and powerful.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

Another dinosaur law keeping the oligarch elite above the underlings - the underlings have to rob and kneel in front of the Phooyais and such laws make it crystal clear. 
If there is "misunderstanding" among the Phooyais, it is a welcome deviation smoke screen as well so defamation keeps the truth out. Your call! 

13 hours ago, SABloke said:

This is why I don’t do restaurant reviews. The defamation laws are as insane as the LM laws, quite similar, actually.

• 1 month later...
“the libel capital of the world”

No, it is not Thailand.
Libel and defamation suits are a regular topic on AN.
It is often stated that Thailand has very harsh libel laws, and I always got the impression that the posters thought libel law in their home country wasn't as harsh.

So I found it interesting to read an article about libel law in another country.
The country is Britain, where many posters are from, and the article really made me think.

"the British libel industry has made it harder for people to subject the wealthy and powerful to legitimate scrutiny."
"Britain’s libel lawyers are the most intimidating in the world. They are also among the most expensive. British libel cases routinely cost hundreds of thousands of pounds to defend, and London’s top libel lawyers command rates of more than £500 per hour."
"If you have ever spoken out against one of the global super-rich with some link to Britain you are potentially in a London libel lawyer’s crosshairs, no matter how few followers you have or where you live."
"the person claiming to have been defamed is the one presumed to be telling the truth"

https://www.economist.com/1843/2023/12/01/britains-scariest-libel-firm-can-pursue-anyone-anywhere