Shrink-flation in Thailand

SamSanuk

In case you didn’t know the term shrink-flation instead of raising prices, let’s say on a bag of potato chips, the manufacturers just put LESS chips in the bag for the same price. 

I rarely pay attention to this devious downsizing of commodities, but after I buy my liquid laundry detergent (from a Thai company) I did notice this: I always pour the liquid into an empty 8 oz. drinking water bottle and normally one package fills it right up to the tippy top. Not anymore. Slightly less this time. 

Then I read today about PepsiCo possibly raising prices (again) next year. Seems like recent price changes didn’t slow down sales. Or maybe another round of shrink-flation is coming to Lays and Doritos and Gatorade. Buyer beware. ????

Edited by SamSanuk
  • Confused 2
  • Thumbs Up 2

When did this buzz term get invented? I'd always known it as "product shrinkage".

Anyway, regardless of how you label it, it's not a new phenomenon by any means.

(also what does any of this have to do specifically with Chaing Mai?)

Edited by JayClay
  • Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

I've seen shrinkage in condo prices and rents in Chiang Mai.

Potato chips and Pepsico are bad news for anyone trying to lose weight, I don't consume them. The manufacturer will shrink as much as some four-eyed bean counter thinks they can get away with.

• Like 1

I ordered take away from Mac,s for the 1st time this year the other day.The sausage mac muffin sangy was reduced in size by about 25% but priced the same. A good example of shrink-inflation.

Its nothing new but its still notable.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, JayClay said:

When did this buzz term get invented? I'd always known it as "product shrinkage".

In US retail lingo the word shrinkage refers to product pilferage, shoplifting, loss, destruction etc.
Factors contributing to shrinkage include employee theft, stealing, administrative errors, vendor fraud, product damage and more.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, noserious said:

In US retail lingo the word shrinkage refers to product pilferage, shoplifting, loss, destruction etc.
Factors contributing to shrinkage include employee theft, stealing, administrative errors, vendor fraud, product damage and more.

I said "product shrinkage", not "shrinkage".

• Confused 1

44 minutes ago, SamSanuk said:

In case you didn’t know the term shrink-flation instead of raising prices, let’s say on a bag of potato chips, the manufacturers just put LESS chips in the bag for the same price. 

I rarely pay attention to this devious downsizing of commodities, but after I buy my liquid laundry detergent (from a Thai company) I did notice this: I always pour the liquid into an empty 8 oz. drinking water bottle and normally one package fills it right up to the tippy top. Not anymore. Slightly less this time. 

Then I read today about PepsiCo possibly raising prices (again) next year. Seems like recent price changes didn’t slow down sales. Or maybe another round of shrink-flation is coming to Lays and Doritos and Gatorade. Buyer beware. ????

Are you suggesting with laundry detergent (and other profucts) they are cheating on the legally stated volume/weight. Like displaying 400 ml on the package and giving you 380 ml?

All packaged detergent indicates clearly the volume in ml, which haven't changed at all. Perhaps the price has increased, but the volume is as indicated on the packages. You should get a gram scale and measure it. I'm sure it will be as indicated. If it isn't, the company would be in big trouble and you can report them rather than complaining about it here.

1 hour ago, noserious said:

Well the US 'lingo' is wrong. Size or weight reduction would be a more appropriate and understandable term.

Other factors contributing to 'shrinkage' is your willy (UK word) just after making love. 555

• Confused 1

I've noticed this. The shops put the larger bags of crisps in the prominent position and the standard size on the bottom shelf hoping that people will just pick the bigger bag and spend more. Also, they are selling bags of Lays for 22 baht for 42 grams where they used to be 50g. If you buy two of the smaller 10 baht bags, you will get 50g for 20 baht. I've seen this in different shops. Not sure how long this will last as they will inevitably shrink the cheaper bags too. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, KannikaP said:

Well the US 'lingo' is wrong. Size or weight reduction would be a more appropriate and understandable term.

Other factors contributing to 'shrinkage' is your willy (UK word) just after making love. 555

Shrinkage was in use in the UK as far back as the 1970s referring to theft by staff.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Chris Daley said:

I am thinking of taking out a loan to buy a pizza.  A tiny slab of bread covered in sugar 600 baht +.

You are obviously going to a crappy pizza place, aimed at Thais. There are quite a few good ones especially in Falang areas, but I never paid Bht 600 for one.

1 hour ago, In the jungle said:

Shrinkage was in use in the UK as far back as the 1970s referring to theft by staff.

Sorry for my mistake, I just phoned Susie Dent and she told me that your definition is also correct. Nicking, pilfering, half-inching are also acceptable. Cheers.

Edited by KannikaP

35 minutes ago, KannikaP said:

Sorry for my mistake, I just phoned Susie Dent and she told me that your definition is also correct. Nicking, pilfering, half-inching are also acceptable. Cheers.

I heard it when I had a holiday job at Marks and Sparks on one Pound an hour.  It was management speak for staff theft.  It was a bloody awful job.  Soul destroying.

This has been happening for years in Thailand. body wash in pump action bottles are 500ml, then the quantity drops to 450 and the price stays the same, then the packaging size drops but the contents remain the same then the new size comes out with 500ml at a higher price and so it begins again. Even worse are the large supermarkets which bundle 3 packs pf something together and charge more that 3 times the price. Selling 2 for the price of one (buy one get one free)should just tell you never to buy the single as it is overpriced but Thais love anything free. My wife will buy stuff she doesn't want just because she can get something free.

• Haha 1

A couple of years ago there was a promotion for  butter that came with a plastic container to fit 250gm. Allowrie then reduced the butter to 240gm, them 220gm and now 200gm so the plastic containers are the wrong size. We do not need to talk about the price increase as well.

8 hours ago, arithai12 said:

Another trick, this by a famous Chiang Mai supermarket chain. The marmelade I prefer was usually 165B. Now, they increased the nominal price to 220 but mark it permanently as "discounted" to 165.

Here's my take on why that is: Typically when you purchase "discounted" items you are not eligible to also use points or coupons at the checkout for those items, so you have to pay the full "discounted" price.