Israel is telling everyone in north Gaza - about 1.1 million people - to relocate to the south of the Strip in the next 24 hours,

Social Media

image.png

Summary

1. Israel is telling everyone in north Gaza - about 1.1 million people - to relocate to the south of the Strip in the next 24 hours, according to the United Nations
  2. Israel's military has directly told Gaza City residents to leave for their "safety and protection", as its forces mass ahead of an expected ground offensive
  3. The UN has called on Israel to withdraw the order, arguing it's "impossible" for Palestinians to fully comply and warning of "devastating humanitarian consequences"
  4. Hamas kidnapped at least 150 people and took them into Gaza during deadly attacks on Israel at the weekend that killed 1,300 people
  5. More than 1,400 people have been killed in Gaza since Israel launched retaliatory air strikes, Palestinian health officials say
  6. The bombardment comes amid a total blockade, with fuel, food and water running out. Israel says it won't lift the restrictions unless Hamas frees all hostages
  7. Elsewhere, three Jewish schools in north London have told parents they won't be opening today, citing safety concerns

SOURCE:

BBC-LOGO.png

• Confused 1

9 hours ago, nobodysfriend said:

The Gaza strip is just 40 km long ( east to west ) , and 10 km wide , ( north to south ) ,

so it should be possible for most people to displace themselves just 10 km when the ground offensive starts .

Yet bombing continues on the two designated roads! How to cram so many into two roads, even if there were no bombing? A lot of people think that the unstated motive is to ethnically cleanse the northern Gaza. Various people have remarked that this forced transfer would be yet another violation of the Geneva conventions.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, placnx said:

Yet bombing continues on the two designated roads! How to cram so many into two roads, even if there were no bombing? A lot of people think that the unstated motive is to ethnically cleanse the northern Gaza. Various people have remarked that this forced transfer would be yet another violation of the Geneva conventions.

"Yet bombing continues on the two designated roads!"

Link?

As for your other remarks, please realize we're not talking about a huge distance here. In some cases it can be traveled by foot. even. 

"A lot of people think..."

Not good enough for discussion, sorry. Either your come with something serious or you present it as your own view.

What would be the point of 'ethnically cleansing Northern Gaza"? Does anyone of consequence in Israel advocate it? Is Israeli public opinion favorable? I think you know the answers to these questions (and they've been addressed on these topics earlier).

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On 10/14/2023 at 7:19 PM, Morch said:

"Yet bombing continues on the two designated roads!"

Link?

As for your other remarks, please realize we're not talking about a huge distance here. In some cases it can be traveled by foot. even. 

"A lot of people think..."

Not good enough for discussion, sorry. Either your come with something serious or you present it as your own view.

What would be the point of 'ethnically cleansing Northern Gaza"? Does anyone of consequence in Israel advocate it? Is Israeli public opinion favorable? I think you know the answers to these questions (and they've been addressed on these topics earlier).

The point of ethnically cleansing northern Gaza would be ostensibly be to put Palestinians farther away from Tel Aviv, but is really about getting rid of Palestinians and annexing the area to be occupied by settlers, same m.o. as in 1948 and 1967. Sen Lindsey Graham on Meet the Press yesterday is going to tell the Egyptians to open the border and let them all (2.1 mn) into Egypt. The Palestinians know from previous experience that that would not be temporary, so does Egypt. 

Listen to Khaled Elgindy on BBC World News today.

https://www.mei.edu/profile/khaled-elgindy

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, placnx said:

The point of ethnically cleansing northern Gaza would be ostensibly be to put Palestinians farther away from Tel Aviv, but is really about getting rid of Palestinians and annexing the area to be occupied by settlers, same m.o. as in 1948 and 1967. Sen Lindsey Graham on Meet the Press yesterday is going to tell the Egyptians to open the border and let them all (2.1 mn) into Egypt. The Palestinians know from previous experience that that would not be temporary, so does Egypt. 

More lies from you.

Israel is going after Hamas.

They don't intend to occupy Gaza.

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, placnx said:

More nonsense. You seriously think that moving the border 20km south would change something? Hamas manages to fire rockets at Haifa, and that' about a 100km north of Tel Aviv. Further, moving the border south would still leave all them Israeli small settlements Hamas raided exactly in the same position - on the border (the Strip's eastern border, that is). 

There's no real talk in Israel, apart from some extreme loons, about annexation. You're making things up, again.

• Thumbs Up 1

Years ago I randomly came across a pro Palestinian protest in San Francisco.

My gut reaction was distress and the feeling these people want to kill me.

I told myself that's irrational to react that way.

Turns out my instincts were spot on.

• Confused 1
  • Sad 1
  • Haha 1

Yea ...I think I'll cheer for Jews to completely eradicate extreme Muslims. I literally don't give a damn anymore about the "innocent". Israeli don't go around killing foreign workers, tourists and babies. I rather like Carl Sagan, Spielberg and Seinfeld. 

They may as well go nuclear on Gaza for all I care.

• Love It 1

1 minute ago, Jingthing said:

Muslims cause problem wherever they are, Southern Thailand they kill monks and teachers, South Philippine Islands they bomb innocent people indiscriminately, London has become a violent intolerant open air Mosque. 

Islam is not the religion of peace.

They oppress their women horribly.

Islamic doctrine prohibits adults of the same sex to love each other.

People should take a good hard look at what they are being so self righteous about defending.

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

Israel even attacked a convoy of people trying to leave.  Maybe by design, after getting all together out in open.

Of course, they said ... oops ... sorry ... ????

Because mistakes never happen. If they wanted to kill civilians, the death toll would be way higher. If they wanted to kill civilians they could have just let them stay put, as Hamas wishes.

9 minutes ago, placnx said:

Time will tell.

Yes it will.

I think they might stay there initially to assist with setting up a new administration as if they are successful in erasing Hamas there will be no government there at all.

But I don't see how they would have the bandwidth to have a permanent occupation there, running the local government.

Israel has given no indication that a permanent occupation is their intention.

As far as the Arabs being wary of running to Egypt even if Egypt allowed that, I well understand why they would be paranoid about that being a permanent removal.

But I think that's academic anyway as Egypt doesn't want them. 

Edited by Jingthing

21 hours ago, Morch said:

More nonsense. You seriously think that moving the border 20km south would change something? Hamas manages to fire rockets at Haifa, and that' about a 100km north of Tel Aviv. Further, moving the border south would still leave all them Israeli small settlements Hamas raided exactly in the same position - on the border (the Strip's eastern border, that is). 

There's no real talk in Israel, apart from some extreme loons, about annexation. You're making things up, again.

The problem is the extreme loons in the current Israeli government. They want it all: Gaza and the West Bank. I don't think that moving the border to Wadi Gaza would protect Tel Aviv. It would just be a pretext for gobbling up the northern half of Gaza. Maybe a cordon sanitaire carved out of the southern leftover of Gaza would be next, to protect the kibbutzim near the border.

Maybe the moral hazard of having set up these kibbutzi next to hundred of thousands of recently aggrieved people should be factored in to the morality of further reducing the habitable area for 2.2 mn people.

16 hours ago, Jingthing said:

There are protests on campuses and Jewish students claiming distress, who are then used by well-funded groups to invoke Title IX for lawfare to suppress the protesting campus groups. This has gone hand-in-hand with a campaign to alter the legal definition of anti-semitism to conflate criticism of Israeli policy with classic anti-semitism in order to limit freedom of speech.

2 minutes ago, placnx said:

There are protests on campuses and Jewish students claiming distress, who are then used by well-funded groups to invoke Title IX for lawfare to suppress the protesting campus groups. This has gone hand-in-hand with a campaign to alter the legal definition of anti-semitism to conflate criticism of Israeli policy with classic anti-semitism in order to limit freedom of speech.

I call BS.

Chanting River to the sea which you always here at such rallies is chanting for genocide 

• Like 1

20 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

Yes it will.

I think they might stay there initially to assist with setting up a new administration as if they are successful in erasing Hamas there will be no government there at all.

But I don't see how they would have the bandwidth to have a permanent occupation there, running the local government.

Israel has given no indication that a permanent occupation is their intention.

As far as the Arabs being wary of running to Egypt even if Egypt allowed that, I well understand why they would be paranoid about that being a permanent removal.

But I think that's academic anyway as Egypt doesn't want them. 

It would be problematic if the Israeli government were to set up a government of locals as they would be viewed as collaborators. So it would be more practical (if stability is desired) to have a UN/Arab transitional administration.

12 minutes ago, placnx said:

The problem is the extreme loons in the current Israeli government. They want it all: Gaza and the West Bank. I don't think that moving the border to Wadi Gaza would protect Tel Aviv. It would just be a pretext for gobbling up the northern half of Gaza. Maybe a cordon sanitaire carved out of the southern leftover of Gaza would be next, to protect the kibbutzim near the border.

Maybe the moral hazard of having set up these kibbutzi next to hundred of thousands of recently aggrieved people should be factored in to the morality of further reducing the habitable area for 2.2 mn people.

Not even all the extreme loons are into it, just some. And they are not a majority even in current government. What they want doesn't make it policy or anything. The Israeli public sentiment is very much against reoccupying the Gaza Strip.

You're 'move-the-border' nonsense continues - look at the maps, there is no way to move the border anywhere that would markedly change anything.

Maybe you should just come out and say that you're against Israel's very existence.....would save you making a whole lot of daft comments.

2 minutes ago, Jingthing said:

I call BS.

Chanting River to the sea which you always here at such rallies is chanting for genocide 

Evidently you don't follow US legal issues relating to suppression of student groups advocating for Palestine on campuses. The alleged chanting you cite would be more serious if it were directed at other students as incitement to harm them. 

What's going on now in the West Bank should concern you more as a moral person, i.e. the wanton killings by settlers.

3 minutes ago, placnx said:

Evidently you don't follow US legal issues relating to suppression of student groups advocating for Palestine on campuses. The alleged chanting you cite would be more serious if it were directed at other students as incitement to harm them. 

What's going on now in the West Bank should concern you more as a moral person, i.e. the wanton killings by settlers.

This 'discussion' is taking place following the wanton killings of Israeli civilians by Hamas.

Edited by Morch

11 minutes ago, Morch said:

Not even all the extreme loons are into it, just some. And they are not a majority even in current government. What they want doesn't make it policy or anything. The Israeli public sentiment is very much against reoccupying the Gaza Strip.

You're 'move-the-border' nonsense continues - look at the maps, there is no way to move the border anywhere that would markedly change anything.

Maybe you should just come out and say that you're against Israel's very existence.....would save you making a whole lot of daft comments.

I accept Israel in the 1949 borders. However, apartheid in Israel should end. Let's pray for an epiphany leading to the enactment of a constitution echoing the noble sentiments of the Israeli Declaration of Independence.

The smaller Gaza becomes, the more difficult it becomes to support a growing population.

The problem in the Israeli government is that Netanyahu depends on the loons to stay in power. Just as in the US, the fringe can steer policy in their direction.

Edited by placnx

13 minutes ago, placnx said:

It would be problematic if the Israeli government were to set up a government of locals as they would be viewed as collaborators. So it would be more practical (if stability is desired) to have a UN/Arab transitional administration.

Israel should be planning what to do after they win but right now they have a war to fight and that may take months. 

I think we agree that the after part will be tricky.