Back Problems

lelapin

I have suddenly started getting severe pain in my lower back and am thinking of visiting the Motion Wellness Clinic in Pattaya. I am over 80 and wonder if any the older members of the forum has visited them and think their approach suitable for the more elderly.

• Thumbs Up 1

I've had severe back pain since 1978 (age 28 then) brought about by an injury whilst playing squash. In April this year I discovered DDP Yoga and after 4 weeks of sticking with the program, no more back pain. I'm now 6 months in and I'm stronger and my flexibility is better now than when I was 40.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

18 hours ago, surreybloke said:

Cannot comment on that clinic  but good physios are worth their weight in gold IMHO.  You need to do the exercises and take the meds.    A lot of folk use TENS devices .   

Transcutaneous_electrical_nerve_stimulation    

Tens helps heaps can buy on Lazada for under 300bht.  Brownies and cookies are good to help with relaxation and pain.

6 hours ago, ignore it said:

Sit ups. 

Hell NO

6 hours ago, bignok said:

Sit ups are bad for your back.

@lelapin Agree, and one of the worse exercises for you back.  Simple stomach cruncher much better, and counter with back 'inward & outward' stretches' to counter strength of abs.

Crunches ... simple lay on padded floor and raise legs & chest off the ground at same time, hold until you can't, or do 5 second reps, until you can't.  You feel it right away in the abs.

back stretches ... knees bent under you and chest as far down to floor as possible (bend over bi-atch) ... then the opposite, legs extended, pelvis pushed as close to floor, with arm pushing chest upright as far as possible (concave back curve)

That works the muscles that support most of your lower back discs.

Lose weight if heavy, and take as much weight off your spine as possible, during daily routine, along with carrying weight.  Avoid sitting at 90 degrees or less.

50 yrs experience of bad back management.  Surgery in 1997, wanted to slice & dice me again in 2001.  No thanks, I'll leave my job and simply stop aggravating it.  20+ yrs on, and feeling good.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, KhunLA said:

Hell NO

@lelapin Agree, and one of the worse exercises for you back.  Simple stomach cruncher much better, and counter with back 'inward & outward' stretches' to counter strength of abs.

Crunches ... simple lay on padded floor and raise legs & chest off the ground at same time, hold until you can't, or do 5 second reps, until you can't.  You feel it right away in the abs.

back stretches ... knees bent under you and chest as far down to floor as possible (bend over bi-atch) ... then the opposite, legs extended, pelvis pushed as close to floor, with arm pushing chest upright as far as possible (concave back curve)

Lose weight if heavy, and take as much weight off your spine as possible, during daily routine, along with carrying weight.  Avoid sitting at 90 degrees or less.

50 yrs experience of bad back management.  Surgery in 1997, wanted to slice & dice me again in 2001.  No thanks, I'll leave my job and simply stop aggravating it.  20+ yrs on, and feeling good.

I had lots of bad backs, sore joints in shoulders. Since i boosted protein and magnesium intake it all went away. Totally amazed. No doctor ever told me this direct but i heard from a friend one doctor he knows does the same. So most doctors are clueless but not all.

Back pain may have multiple causes. It's an ailment which occasionally has doctors, physios and chiropractors stumped for an answer.

It may be resolvable with medication and exercises, although sustained use of meds does not do the kidneys any favors. It may be worthwhile to get a CT scan to rule out structural problems, such as a bulging disc.

I have back pain due to chronic osteoarthritis, I manage it with daily exercises.

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Lacessit said:

Back pain may have multiple causes. It's an ailment which occasionally has doctors, physios and chiropractors stumped for an answer.

It may be resolvable with medication and exercises, although sustained use of meds does not do the kidneys any favors. It may be worthwhile to get a CT scan to rule out structural problems, such as a bulging disc.

I have back pain due to chronic osteoarthritis, I manage it with daily exercises.

@lelapin If it persists, especially with any discomfort or pain down the leg, then getting MRI is definitely advised.  

Most lower back pain & leg pain will be associated with Lumbar discs.

Myself, 2 herniated disc (T12/L1 & L4/5), back in 1974.  Put off surgery till 1997.  MRI confirmed 2 herniated disc & 5 degenerative (not the best adjective) disc present.    2001 aggravated again to the point surgery was suggested.   As stated, simply eliminated to cause of aggravation, and retired.  22 yrs on, and behaving, stretching & exercise, (low/no impact), walking, cycling, weight control, and not lifting a damn thing .... no issues since.

Edited by KhunLA

12 hours ago, KhunLA said:

Hell NO

3 years of chronic back pain and currently doing all the above with exception of the crunch variation above,  21 BMI and fitter that 99.99% of the over 55 crowd.  Frustrating! 

Still running marathons consistently and other exercises but couldn't fathom jumping off a 150 cm ledge as I did with little thought 3 years ago.  Part of aging many tell me but not yet ready to accept this possibility.  Covid limited my exercise options and I think I developed weaknesses as well as too much seated time.

Edited by atpeace

@lelapin

I have had back pain for years, after seeing everyone there was possible in my life time and spending heaps of $'s, I saw a video on YouTube and this Physiotherapist said this; 

If your having pain down your back (lower) or down your leg (Sciatica), just remember this, your back is like a river and water travels downstream, as does pain, so your pain is more than likely being caused from somewhere upstream.

I went to a Clinic and asked for an x-ray on my neck and back and it was shown that 2 vertebrae's in my neck had worn badly, hence the reasons for my neck issues, but what about my lower back pain ?

They gave me 20 minutes of PMS Peripheral Magnetic Stimulation on my neck, shoulder and lower back, a hand full of tablets and said come back next week, that was a month ago, I didn't go back, my lower back pain of 6 months was gone, I didn't take any of the tablets and am still good as I type.

I rest my neck throughout the day when I feel it is getting a bit sore, and or take a couple of Sara, and watch my posture and don't lift things of weight anymore.

I would recommend PMS and some lower back exercises which you can find on YouTube.

Cost was 800 baht for the PMS treatment, avoid the big privates as they will charge more than that.

Here is a video in Thai, just move it forward to 50 seconds and you will see the machine in action, it stimulates the nerves and muscles and is painless.

Good luck.

Edited by 4MyEgo
  • Like 2

If the pain is caused by inflammation, diclofenac tablets (readily available and very cheap in any pharmacy) should help, especially if taken as soon as the pain starts. Take a maximum of three 50 mg tablets in a day, preferably with food. If they have no effect then it's probably not inflammation that's causing the pain.

1 hour ago, Guderian said:

If the pain is caused by inflammation, diclofenac tablets (readily available and very cheap in any pharmacy) should help, especially if taken as soon as the pain starts. Take a maximum of three 50 mg tablets in a day, preferably with food. If they have no effect then it's probably not inflammation that's causing the pain.

@lelapin IF they do work, relieve your symptoms, great, but, ween yourself off them, as long term use is not recommended. 

Handy to have a stash of, along with muscle relaxers, for those times of stupidity, when we aggravate something ????

Better to find the cause, and avoid repeating if possible.

• Like 1

On 10/14/2023 at 2:46 PM, Toby1947 said:

Old age mate, my doctors favourite saying " You've got to live with it "

You are exactly right.  I have had back problems for over 30 years from prolapsed discs to now arthritis.  Medication just doesnt put a dent in it.  And remember you always pay one way or another whenever you take meds. 

You need to have self control and think carefully before doing anything different.  And yes old age.  An exercise I often did back then put me screaming in hospital and on morphine shots a few weeks ago because "yes it was good for you when you were younger but youre not young anymore".

Never had a good experience with physios but had a great chiropractor back home.  Sadly difficult to find a good one here and especially if you live in the sticks.

8 hours ago, BKKKevin said:

You might consider a visit to a general practicing doctor to have a basic exam and specifically make sure your not having kidney function problems which manifest symptoms similar to lower back pain...

Good advice as there could be one of many things causing your back pain.  An old workmate of mine developed back problems and came to me for advice knowing I too had problems.  My problems were due to prolapsed discs that didnt mend plus arthritis that follows.   His, it turned out, was due to cancer.  He had had 2 bouts of throat cancer previously  which had been treated but eventually it came back but this time in his spine.  He departed this world about 6 months later sadly.

• Thanks 1

7 hours ago, georgegeorgia said:

You should of suggested deadlifts maybe ????the OP says he is

So could you. 

At 80 just doing anything other than surgery is good.

Some suggested crunches various clinics etc.

But in reality old dude should just lie on his back and try to do a situp. 

By the time he can do one  he's on his way.

Later he can get on with crunches, dead lifts and other exercises.

Silly suggestions are just silly. Maybe he should go spend his money here, no go there, no go pay for yoga classes...

Maybe he should do crunches  (kind of like trying to do a situp) dead lifts, or squats, or this or that. 

It's basically step by step or straining gut muscles then stretching back muscles then more sophisticated stuff.

The old dude should just do something simple and free first.

Enough silliness already.

Edited by ignore it

On 10/15/2023 at 10:01 AM, Guderian said:

diclofenac

This works well but is serious medicine with containdications

I fixed my back that went from spasms to some days of zero pain in a few months.

Start diet to lose weight.

Roll back, forth and around on your lower back. When you're up for a bit more...

Start stretching. Touch your toes as you can. Look on internet for specific exercises.

As you get better add in cardio like jumping jacks and running in place.