Thai education embraces UK programmes to boost English language proficiency

webfact

9 minutes ago, Nicholas Paul KNIGHT said:

Good idea, touited a few years ago but then most books have American English, but it is not the English that is the propblem, it is the inablity of manmy Thai Teachers to think outside the book, zero experience in the real worl of speaking English foloow the book for fear of being criticised, unable to hold long conversations are but a few of the problems coupled with the fact that many THAI Teachers who teach English refuse help or assistance in English as and as one said to me I studied at University I know what is correct. despote showing him he was wrong. Fragile egos and lack of knowledge showing there, and most NEVER let students ask questions.

Um.......:coffee1:

2 hours ago, bigt3116 said:

Bard thinks maybe your English is a little lacking too.

"

The grammar of the sentence "I have rarely met an English person that knows 'lose is not loose' nor 'have is not of'" is correct, but it could be improved by making a few changes.

First, the word "that" should be replaced with "who" because it is referring to a person.

Second, the word "nor" should be replaced with "or" because it is connecting two negative statements.

Third, the phrase "have is not of" is a bit awkward and could be replaced with "is not of having."

Finally, the sentence could be made more concise by removing the word "rarely."

Here is the revised sentence:

I have rarely met an English person who knows that "lose" is not "loose" or that "have" is not of having."

Indeed, he probably gains his outstanding ‘English-speaking’ (hyphenated adjective) data from occupants of neighbouring bar stools - I’m going to be drawn into the debate no further. 🤓

• Like 1

9 minutes ago, ikke1959 said:

that is not the problem. The biggest problem in Thai education is " always pass" policy. Kids who don't do anything will pass and thereor the stimulate other kids not to do anything too. Secondly there are too many students in a classroom. 40-50 in a class is far to much. There is no time for the teacher to help a student. and third there is no willingness to learn English by the kids as there is nowhere Englishto be found on TV in English camps in schools etc so that they can practice or notice how important it is to learn.  And i am talking about the majority of schools all over the country and not about international schools before people start to comment again.

I never understood that, they never fail them, 

1 hour ago, Muhendis said:

The flexibility of the English language is really quite amazing.

With so many different dialects and accents and yet we all understand what is meant.

Mostly... A girl once started work at my former place of employment. She was from one of those islands north of Scotland. maybe the Hebrides. I can't quite remember.

It was really difficult to understand her. At least until we got used to her accent and she had toned it down a little.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Joe Farang said:

I find that UK people have the lowest standard of proficiency in the English language in the English speaking world. I think they assume that they are number one. I have rarely met an English person that knows "lose is not loose" nor " have is not of"

You have not met me, The Grammar Policeman' yet!

• Haha 2

2 hours ago, bigt3116 said:

Bard thinks maybe your English is a little lacking too.

"

The grammar of the sentence "I have rarely met an English person that knows 'lose is not loose' nor 'have is not of'" is correct, but it could be improved by making a few changes.

First, the word "that" should be replaced with "who" because it is referring to a person.

Second, the word "nor" should be replaced with "or" because it is connecting two negative statements.

Third, the phrase "have is not of" is a bit awkward and could be replaced with "is not of having."

Finally, the sentence could be made more concise by removing the word "rarely."

Here is the revised sentence:

I have rarely met an English person who knows that "lose" is not "loose" or that "have" is not of having."

I guess several persons, native speakers of (say) language A, will have issues with the way native speakers of language B speak that particular language B.

Personally, not being a native english speaker, well educated in how my native language works (grammatically etc), I find 2 mannerisms with English speakers that irritate me.

Here are these 2 "mannerisms":

1 - What I call the double "that". I read lots of writings by British people like this: "I think that, because of blablabla, that we should do etc etc". That repeat of the conjunction "that" does not sound correct to me at all, but several British told me "it's correct".

2 - So many transcripts in the media of discussions between supposedly very well educated persons, eg on TV, are complete gibberish. Maybe that's more the case in the US (I read lots of US material)? Maybe that's because no efforts are spent in those transcriptions that are rather meant for short term use?

2 hours ago, ChipButty said:

Im glad the are turning to the UK to help them, It gets right up my nose listening to a Thai with an American accent

The Thai Government is recruiting in the UK from Glasgow, Dublin and Yorkshire.  That will eradicate the American accent 

• Thumbs Up 1

7 minutes ago, phetphet said:

Mostly... A girl once started work at my former place of employment. She was from one of those islands north of Scotland. maybe the Hebrides. I can't quite remember.

It was really difficult to understand her. At least until we got used to her accent and she had toned it down a little.

Probably had a brother named Donald, from the Isle of Skye.

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, Muhendis said:

The flexibility of the English language is really quite amazing.

With so many different dialects and accents and yet we all understand what is meant.

Agree its flexible, but if you go to the very North of Scotland, you may think differently?🤣

• Thumbs Up 1

4 hours ago, Joe Farang said:

I find that UK people have the lowest standard of proficiency in the English language in the English speaking world. I think they assume that they are number one. I have rarely met an English person that knows "lose is not loose" nor " have is not of"

I agree.  I am an ex-English teacher & am horrified daily by the disappearing 'T' in the middle of words; li"le, bo"om, fi''ing; this is, of course, in spoken English in particular by sports presen'ers dumbing down to sound like one of the people.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Haha 1