Srettha touts advantages of “land bridge” project for Chinese investors

snoop1130

liqiang.jpg

Prime Minister Srettha Thavisin says he has assured his Chinese counterpart, Li Qiang, that the land bridge mega project in southern Thailand will not only provide another shipping route, linking the Indian and Pacific oceans, in addition to the Straits of Malacca, but will also provide an ideal location for Chinese investors to establish factories producing goods for distribution to many other countries.

He said Thailand’s land bridge project will complement China’s Belt and Road Initiative (BRI), which is supported by the Thai government, adding that his visit to Beijing to attend the international forum on the Belt and Road Initiative (BRI), is successful and is giving him confidence that, with the implementation of the land bridge and investment in more electric vehicle assembly plants by Chinese investors, among other industries, Thailand’s economic development will be given a big shot in the arm.

The land bridge will link Chumphon province, on the Gulf of Thailand coast, with Ranong province, on the Andaman Sea coast, with a road and rail system for the transport of goods between the ports on each coast. This will shorten the distance for cargo currently using the Straits of Malacca and save about four transit days.

Full story: Thai PBS 2023-10-20

- Cigna offers a range of visa-compliant plans that meet the minimum requirement of medical treatment, including COVID-19, up to THB 3m. For more information on all expat health insurance plans click here.

Get our Daily Newsletter - Click HERE to subscribe

• Confused 1
  • Sad 5

Sorry, my mistake. Read it as Rayong. Silly me!

In my country, UK, such a system would simply be called a ROAD. Where does the BELT bit come from?

I am bracing myself for your answers! 555

Edited by KannikaP
  • Haha 1

2 hours ago, KannikaP said:

Sorry, my mistake. Read it as Rayong. Silly me!

In my country, UK, such a system would simply be called a ROAD. Where does the BELT bit come from?

I am bracing myself for your answers! 555

An invocation of the ancient Silk Road.

also

image.png.27758a3f691447954b761c44489ed3cb.png

in almost every photo he reminds me of Woody from ToyStory

image.png.5343d160010c8a7881fa3c05ed58e3ce.png

Edited by fondue zoo
  • Confused 1
  • Haha 2

Has anyone in our esteemed government done the math on the logistical and financial parts of this future pipe dream?  If have not seen any numbers or estimates, but the amount of traffic between the 2 ports will make traffic in Bangkok look like child's play.

14 minutes ago, SoilSpoil said:

Has anyone in our esteemed government done the math on the logistical and financial parts of this future pipe dream?  If have not seen any numbers or estimates, but the amount of traffic between the 2 ports will make traffic in Bangkok look like child's play.

Here you are. Have a good read and decide for yourself.

https://www.thaipbsworld.com/is-the-massive-land-bridge-project-worth-the-trillion-baht-investment/

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, fvw53 said:

how will the oil be transported, through a pipeline?

Read the linked article!

https://www.thaipbsworld.com/is-the-massive-land-bridge-project-worth-the-trillion-baht-investment/

There will be two deep-sea ports, in Ranong and Chumphon, with cargo terminals and oil depots to receive oil from tankers from the Andaman Sea. The oil will be pumped through a pipeline to depots in Chumphon, on the other coast, for shipment to destinations beyond Thailand.

12 hours ago, retarius said:

But if Chinese investors pay to build it, won't they own it and all the farangs will be up in arms about Chinese owning things?

Practically, yes. But even the Australian government recently threw in the towel in regards to China controlling Darwin Harbour (while criticising at the same time the Solomon Islands for allowing big Chinese investments)...

Edited by StayinThailand2much

1 hour ago, Partenavia said:

I just do not comprehend where the savings are. Not when you take into account 2 x Pilotage Fees, 2 x Tug/berthing costs. Unloading/loading costs. Transportation from port A to B.

All good points.....To unload a massive cargo ship and to move all that cargo and then re-load it all would take many days and cost $$$$......I bet this would save zero dollars and zero time......Anyone could figure this out.....

What happened to all the Yapping about high-speed rail? Things seem to have gone quiet...

9 hours ago, Partenavia said:

I just do not comprehend where the savings are. Not when you take into account 2 x Pilotage Fees, 2 x Tug/berthing costs. Unloading/loading costs. Transportation from port A to B.

I am sure it has been considered... not as lucrative as Suez or Panama where unloading is not required. I read it saves but a few days sailing which supports your perspective (for me anyhow). It might well be something else sold to us all on a green and environmental platform. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, jacko45k said:
10 hours ago, Partenavia said:

1 hour ago, jacko45k said:

I am sure it has been considered... not as lucrative as Suez or Panama where unloading is not required. I read it saves but a few days sailing which supports your perspective (for me anyhow). It might well be something else sold to us all on a green and environmental platform. 

If you cast around on the internet you'll find several references alluding to the fact that the Malacca Straits are becoming extremely congested and potentially dangerous, An alternative route might just become inevitable (and lucrative) in the future.

14 hours ago, Partenavia said:

Concept is more like the major Hub of airport for transit. 

Singapore has been doing such services ---- unloading/loading and distribution etc ---  and of course quieting making big $$$ for decades. 

Thai Landbridge is to assimilate and share such business with Singapore,  as running a parallel route ( through Thailand is shorter and better route )  

• Haha 2

39 minutes ago, sscc said:

Singapore has been doing such services ---- unloading/loading and distribution etc ---  and of course quieting making big $$$ for decades. 

Trans shipment and oil refining can be big money.

The oil pipeline probably made sense 20 or thirty years ago. Bulk oil probably only has another 10 odd years as does mass scale refineries. Oil trans shipment only requires a breakwater and pumping equipment plus of course the pipeline itself

Just can't see the financial case for building two trans shipment ports for containers plus the rail infrastructure.

They floated the same idea for a port and rail on Malaysia's East Coast about five years ago. Never heard of again

Edited by Spilornis

On 10/21/2023 at 9:29 AM, retarius said:

But if Chinese investors pay to build it, won't they own it and all the farangs will be up in arms about Chinese owning things?

If Thailand cannot afford to repay the loans to the Chinese investors, then yes, they most probably own everything that the Chinese have invested in.

There is another thread about Chinese loans and what happens to countries that default on them here.

https://aseannow.com/topic/1309834-china-and-thailand-should-expedite-building-of-the-china-thailand-railway-xi-jinping/page/2/#comment-18439455