Thailand’s EV initiative: Driving towards a greener future

snoop1130

1 hour ago, JBChiangRai said:

almost all EV's can be driven for 4 hours/380km before needing a charge which is around the safe driving limit without stopping

If you don't feel safe driving for more than 4 hours you should not be driving anymore !  you should voluntarily surrender your licence. That would be better for the environment, and safer for other road users too.  It will not charge up in the time it takes to drink a coffee, which would be 5 to 10 minutes for a normal person.  you must drink extremely slowly

• Sad 5

11 minutes ago, Bday Prang said:

If you don't feel safe driving for more than 4 hours you should not be driving anymore !  you should voluntarily surrender your licence. That would be better for the environment, and safer for other road users too.  It will not charge up in the time it takes to drink a coffee, which would be 5 to 10 minutes for a normal person.  you must drink extremely slowly

The 4.5 hour rule?

You cannot drive for longer than 4.5 hours without taking a break of at least 45 minutes. Taking this break causes a fresh 4.5 hour period of drive to begin.

Note – See the rules on breaks to ensure you do not break the 4.5 hour rule.

www.driverhours.co.uk

I usually drink my coffee over about 15 minutes, probably takes another 5 minutes to order and them to prepare. Not particularly unusual.  Probably want a pee too, 20-25 minutes is probably average.

• Like 1
  • Sad 1

37 minutes ago, connda said:

They don't have the grid to support EVs and EVs are beyond the reach of most Thais, most of whom are so indebted that they'll never see the light of day again.  Then add a two or three million THB EV, which of course they won't get insurance for, and after their first fender bender they are out another 500K THB to fix a dented bumper.  Average Thais can not now afford EVs and they never will.

Yeah, EVs.  But first, they'll have to implement "You'll own nothing and be unhappy," and 15 minute cities and villages, then EVs.  For the rich and wealthy.  Everyone else can suck a rock.

But --  It all depends on how p*ssed off the general public gets when this is rammed down their throats and they are force into mind-numbing debt in order to drive.

:angry: "But we need to save the planet!!!"

The planet is just fine.  It's the greedy b*****ds who want to rule the world who are the problem.

oh-look-electric-car-fuel-coal-carts-train-2293180247.jpeg.66d6f6d57f57d84915c553f4eeb474c6.jpeg

If all that were true, they wouldn't be selling so well, but hang on, they are selling so well !!!

And the grid is not collapsing, all that's collapsing is the nonsense you posted

• Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, Bday Prang said:

As a self-confessed regular stoner, I am sure you have already surrendered your licence right?

Please tell us you don't condone drug driving?

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

10 hours ago, redwood1 said:

He has educated himself....That's why he calls out EVs for the money-losing scams that they are.....

What is the 'scam' part ?  Dealer offers an EV, you don't like it, don't buy it, you do like it, buy it.

Are they misrepresenting the EV, any different than ICEVs. Do you do your research before buying items?

You can only get scammed if you're an idiot. 

Only 1 person to blame for your ignorance/stupidity.

Edited by KhunLA
  • Thumbs Up 2

On 10/21/2023 at 11:24 AM, motdaeng said:

who says that?  

by making that statement, you disqualifying yourself as a safe and intelligent driver!

On 10/21/2023 at 11:23 AM, JBChiangRai said:

The 4.5 hour rule?

You cannot drive for longer than 4.5 hours without taking a break of at least 45 minutes. Taking this break causes a fresh 4.5 hour period of drive to begin.

Note – See the rules on breaks to ensure you do not break the 4.5 hour rule.

www.driverhours.co.uk

I usually drink my coffee over about 15 minutes, probably takes another 5 minutes to order and them to prepare. Not particularly unusual.  Probably want a pee too, 20-25 minutes is probably average.

Typical of your usual posts,  inaccurate information which you cite as fact   "backed up" by a link to some obscure website which you either haven't bothered to read yourself or you have read it but have been either unable or unwilling to actually understand the information presented to you' However for some reason you feel compelled to make these irrational statements and proclamations on a regular basis , and  now look (above) some poor soul  even seems to agree with you, bless him. Maybe you have a follower now, 

I didn't need to refer to your link (in fact the link doesn't even work ) to tell you that you are talking complete rubbish again although just out of curiosity I typed it into google and of course it immediately confirmed what I am about to tell you

Whilst there are indeed rules regarding driving hours in the UK. which are quite strictly enforced, I would have thought that you,especially as someone who claims to have been some sort of magistrate, would be fully aware that these rules apply only to drivers of commercial vehicles over a certain weight, 

I seriously hope you were never actually allowed to pass sentence on any unfortunate soul who was unlucky enough to end up in the magistrates court where you claim to have worked , Especially for traffic offences if this is indicative of your knowledge of the details of traffic law. 

Whether you personally agree or not ,there is no legal limit for drivers of private vehicles, people are expected to use their common sense,            So what on earth are you talking about ? 

I must admit that the thought of somebody diligently complying with a non existent rule and then sanctimoniously berating a person who hasn't done likewise, to be highly amusing. How many hours have you wasted, parked up in laybys, waiting for the clock to tell you when you could "legally" continue, how did you ensure you never broke the roles ?  lol  did you have a tachograph fitted?

At least in your imaginary utopian electric car world, companies like amazon coffee and 7/11 will be laughing all the way to the bank , as the number of service stations will need to increase exponentially just to cater for the aging incontinent expats whose range  will be decreasing inline with that of their chinese batteries   

Anyway what kind of electric noddy car do you drive, ? 

Edited by Bday Prang
  • Like 1
  • Sad 3

17 hours ago, JBChiangRai said:

As a self-confessed regular stoner, I am sure you have already surrendered your licence right?

Please tell us you don't condone drug driving?

40+ years of driving and no accidents.  How about you ?  

• Like 1
  • Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

EVs are a failure in the world's most developed countries. They're extremely expensive, heavy, have zero resale value and have insufficient supporting infrastructure. People queue for hours to recharge them.

Other than to scam people, what on earth use would they be in Thailand? 

No doubt this has been 'thought through thoroughly' by the Thai Govt and maybe reflecting the obvious wisdom of the UK Labour Party, in similar vein, intending to return the EV deadline for new sales, back to 2030 !

All this as "Electric cars risk becoming effectively uninsurable as analysts struggle to put a price on battery repairs" and "catastrophic fire can take place if the cells of the battery have been damaged in a collision". Apparently current (pun intended) advice in the UK dictates that damaged EV be kept a minimum 50' foot apart in repair yards.

Apart from the recent drama at Luton Airport https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-12653297/luton-car-park-airport-shocking-images-devastation-fire.html . . . two huge ships carrying thousands of cars have gone up in flames, apparently because of battery electric vehicles. A fire on board car carrier Felicity Ace in February 2022 led to the vessel sinking in the Atlantic, along with its cargo of 4,000 vehicles.

From the DT - "Someone who really does know the answer is Professor Peter Edwards. He holds the chair in inorganic chemistry at the University of Oxford and tells me he is extremely worried about the “real danger” posed to the public and emergency services by lithium-ion batteries. . . . Prof Edwards believes there is a “concerted campaign” to demonstrate how safe EVs are, regardless of the evidence. “Official statements discounting any possibility of battery fires are issued in unwarranted haste after any such event."

Prof. Edwards worked with Prof. Goodenough, regarded as "the Father of the Lithium Battery (who) told colleagues in Oxford that he didn’t think a mass rollout was wise because of the considerable fire hazard. How lucky we are that our country’s entire future energy strategy isn’t riding on an invention that can explode at will and cause fires it’s impossible to put out. Oh dear. Time to go into reverse gear, don’t you think?" " https://www.telegraph.co.uk/columnists/2023/10/18/electric-cars-ev-sleepwalking-into-disaster-battery-fires/

EV's will be alright for some Folks but I doubt the wisdom of EV's as part of Govt policy, here or in the UK and elsewhere. How does this stuff take such a hold !! Has thinking been abolished ?

7 hours ago, Bday Prang said:

Typical of your usual posts,  inaccurate information which you cite as fact   "backed up" by a link to some obscure website which you either haven't bothered to read yourself or you have read it but have been either unable or unwilling to actually understand the information presented to you' However for some reason you feel compelled to make these irrational statements and proclamations on a regular basis , and  now look (above) some poor soul  even seems to agree with you, bless him. Maybe you have a follower now, 

I didn't need to refer to your link (in fact the link doesn't even work ) to tell you that you are talking complete rubbish again although just out of curiosity I typed it into google and of course it immediately confirmed what I am about to tell you

Whilst there are indeed rules regarding driving hours in the UK. which are quite strictly enforced, I would have thought that you,especially as someone who claims to have been some sort of magistrate, would be fully aware that these rules apply only to drivers of commercial vehicles over a certain weight, 

I seriously hope you were never actually allowed to pass sentence on any unfortunate soul who was unlucky enough to end up in the magistrates court where you claim to have worked , Especially for traffic offences if this is indicative of your knowledge of the details of traffic law. 

Whether you personally agree or not ,there is no legal limit for drivers of private vehicles, people are expected to use their common sense,            So what on earth are you talking about ? 

I must admit that the thought of somebody diligently complying with a non existent rule and then sanctimoniously berating a person who hasn't done likewise, to be highly amusing. How many hours have you wasted, parked up in laybys, waiting for the clock to tell you when you could "legally" continue, how did you ensure you never broke the roles ?  lol  did you have a tachograph fitted?

At least in your imaginary utopian electric car world, companies like amazon coffee and 7/11 will be laughing all the way to the bank , as the number of service stations will need to increase exponentially just to cater for the aging incontinent expats whose range  will be decreasing inline with that of their chinese batteries   

Anyway what kind of electric noddy car do you drive, ? 

I'll take you last point first, In the past 6 years my family here in Thailand have had 4 PHEV/EV's, a Mercedes Benz, a Porsche Taycan, an MGEP+, an MG4 and I have an MG Cyberster on order.

Your nonsense facts dispute nothing.    Is it time for a break yet? 

I chose to give the only mandated hours for a certain class of vehicle which is 4.5 hours.  

The advice to all motorists in Highway Code Rule 91, is much stricter, to take a 15 minute break every 2 hours.

40+ years of driving and no accidents.  How about you ?  

It is against the law in the UK to drink alcohol and drive or smoke cannabis and drive.  The answer invariably given to the courts is "40+ years of driving and no accidents".  There is no excuse acceptable.  By your own admission you are a regular cannabis user and I suspect you still drive.  The advice by His Majesty's Gov't in the UK, is you can drive OR you can smoke Cannabis.  If you want to smoke Cannabis then surrender your licence.  This advice is given because you can still fail a drug wipe & associated blood test the following day and the risk of an accident increases.

Thailand is in its infancy regarding legislation around this but that does not give you licence to get stoned and go out and drive and perhaps wipe out a loved member of someone's family.

6 hours ago, Bday Prang said:

people haven't yet realised that it is impossible to replace the number of petrol and diesel cars with an identical number of electric cars even if we were prepared to drive around in bubble car like micro vehicles with a miniscule range it will still never happen, and very soon one will have to  forget about driving anything that resembles a traditional car by todays standards. Those currently available are only there as a "sweetener" all part of the plan.

The truth is there will be a very limited number of vehicles available and they will become the preserve of the "elite"

For the rest of us it will be at best, some sort of electric scooter type device, no doubt accompanied by a host of rules and regulations and taxes to ensure they are as capable of generating revenue for the government to waste, as the good old internal combustion is.  And no need to worry about charging points as there will only limited permission to leave ones "15 minute" village and restrictions as to how far one can go.

Its actually quite worrying to think how the loss of revenue from fossil fuels will be recovered. The Uk as an example is in a terrible state, a national debt of monstrous proportions yet seemingly determined to bankrupt itself if not by giving billions away to those in trouble  that mostly hate us, then by destroying our industries under some fictional climate change agenda 

Its going to be absolutely Cr@p

All part of the plan...

Cannabis induced Paranoia?

6 hours ago, Bday Prang said:

Most people have been successfully trapped up to their necks in debt, That has been the case for a while now,   There's no fight left in anybody anymore, at least in the western "developed" countries,   people have pretty much had it all knocked out of them, and due to the disruptive actions of idiot eco nutters there are plenty of laws in place to prevent people demonstrating now or in the future , that's even if they want to , the scare mongering over covid and the rest of the depressing and often worrying rubbish that we are fed by the mainstream media has produce an easily manipulated and compliant public. In a state of permanent stress over the economy or a virus or a world war or global warming  etc etc

Anybody daring to question the narrative is either some sort of a  "deny-er" or a "phobe"  or a ..".ist" or a number of other pronouns that indicates their views are to be dismissed unreservedly

There will be a few who will stubbornly try to maintain a lifestyle that they know and love but eventually as they die off a newer, more compliant and in my opinion somewhat pitiful population will evolve,

More Cannabis induced Paranoia?

1 hour ago, sidneybear said:

EVs are a failure in the world's most developed countries. They're extremely expensive, heavy, have zero resale value and have insufficient supporting infrastructure. People queue for hours to recharge them.

Other than to scam people, what on earth use would they be in Thailand? 

1 hour ago, TorquayFan said:

No doubt this has been 'thought through thoroughly' by the Thai Govt and maybe reflecting the obvious wisdom of the UK Labour Party, in similar vein, intending to return the EV deadline for new sales, back to 2030 !

All this as "Electric cars risk becoming effectively uninsurable as analysts struggle to put a price on battery repairs" and "catastrophic fire can take place if the cells of the battery have been damaged in a collision". Apparently current (pun intended) advice in the UK dictates that damaged EV be kept a minimum 50' foot apart in repair yards.

Apart from the recent drama at Luton Airport https://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-12653297/luton-car-park-airport-shocking-images-devastation-fire.html . . . two huge ships carrying thousands of cars have gone up in flames, apparently because of battery electric vehicles. A fire on board car carrier Felicity Ace in February 2022 led to the vessel sinking in the Atlantic, along with its cargo of 4,000 vehicles.

From the DT - "Someone who really does know the answer is Professor Peter Edwards. He holds the chair in inorganic chemistry at the University of Oxford and tells me he is extremely worried about the “real danger” posed to the public and emergency services by lithium-ion batteries. . . . Prof Edwards believes there is a “concerted campaign” to demonstrate how safe EVs are, regardless of the evidence. “Official statements discounting any possibility of battery fires are issued in unwarranted haste after any such event."

Prof. Edwards worked with Prof. Goodenough, regarded as "the Father of the Lithium Battery (who) told colleagues in Oxford that he didn’t think a mass rollout was wise because of the considerable fire hazard. How lucky we are that our country’s entire future energy strategy isn’t riding on an invention that can explode at will and cause fires it’s impossible to put out. Oh dear. Time to go into reverse gear, don’t you think?" " https://www.telegraph.co.uk/columnists/2023/10/18/electric-cars-ev-sleepwalking-into-disaster-battery-fires/

EV's will be alright for some Folks but I doubt the wisdom of EV's as part of Govt policy, here or in the UK and elsewhere. How does this stuff take such a hold !! Has thinking been abolished ?

More nonsense.

Electric vehicles now have a market share of 88% in Norway with none of the issues you've mentioned.

Thailand is extending it's incentive campaign contributing towards purchase price of BEV's.

Nothing in a car is more inflammable than Petrol, yet we have mastered that, just as we have mastered Lithium batteries.  Norway with 88% electrified vehicles has no issues with fires, it's a non-event.  For every "expert" proclaiming doom & gloom, there are dozens of others claiming BS. 

As for uninsurability, I just insured my daughter's MG EP+ and IIRC it was around 8,000 baht for first class insurance.

Rather than "thinking been abolished" it's the intelligentsia who have researched their intended purchases very carefully and then gone ahead with their EV purchase.  I personally am on my 3rd EV and I couldn't be happier.  I got very enjoyable, dirt cheap, silent motoring and a great resale price on the 2 I sold.  I will never buy another ICE vehicle.