Government to promote production and use of EVs in Thailand

webfact

The main disadvantages of the BEVs, for most people, excluding the very wealthy, are the initial high purchasing price, plus the charging difficulties for people who live in apartment buildings in the city.

For those who live in individual houses in the suburbs and have garages, and perhaps solar panels on the roof, the main disadvantage is the initial high cost of the EV. But it seems that is about to change. A Chinese company, BYD, has introduced an affordable EV hatchback, named the e2, which will soon be available in Australia for possibly less than A$30,000, which is no more expensive than an equivalent ICE vehicle.

The following site provides the details.
https://motowheeler.com/au/electric-cars/byd-e2-12920

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, sidneybear said:

EVs are a failure in the world's most developed countries. They're extremely expensive, heavy, have zero resale value and have insufficient supporting infrastructure. People queue for hours to recharge them.

Other than to scam people, what on earth use would they be in Thailand? 

You miss the financial benefit to the usual suspects.

IMO schemes like this are rarely about the supposed benefit to the populace, but they are about the expanded wallets of a few.

• Sad 2
  • Thanks 1

55 minutes ago, Bandersnatch said:

and have insufficient supporting infrastructure People queue for hours to recharge them" As you clearly don't own an EV in Thailand how would you know,  I do and I have never queued 

You have never q'd because so few people drive them. Quadruple the number and it may be a different story.

• Like 1

57 minutes ago, Bandersnatch said:

Thailand is a sunny country country  - maybe you haven't noticed. I power my EVs from excess solar after I have powered my house and charged my home batteries.

Please explain how people living in multi level buildings or condos can benefit from the sunshine in LOS?

Any cost of providing charging facilities will be past on the the residents.

As for those that have to park on the streets......................................?

I used to have to park over a mile from where I lived. I'd need a very long extension cord for that!

😞

• Sad 2
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, Bandersnatch said:

SolarProduction2.jpg.05d94690f53711de538c0b58027c0484.jpg

This is a graph from one of my solar inverters and you can see why I bought a second EV so my wife I can both drive one and charge them from our home solar. 

I don't live in Australia or the UK, I live in Thailand. I have never seen a charging queue let alone a fight here. 

If you get all your "Facts" from the Daily Fail and Click Bate YouTubers you know they're not real fact don't you 🤣 

So how far do you drive on the theoretical maximum power the sun illuminates each square metre of the earth's surface then?

CLUES TO HELP YOU:

Solar constant = 1,370 Watts per square metre. Translation for Bandersnatch: This is the maximum power (right across the entire electomagnetic spectrum) that the sun illuminates the surface of the earth with while the sun is directly overhead, so do the math to get the average theoretical maximum at your latitude for each day of the year.

BUT - Solar panels are only 15-20% efficent.

SO - you're only getting 15-20% of the solar contact per square metre of solar panels = a totally puny 274 Watts per square metre (even with the sun directly overhead, which only happens twice a year in Thailand)

QUESTIONS FOR BUNDESNATCH:

1) How many square metres of solar panels do you have? You hit around 2.5kw, so they must be quite big and expensive ones.

2) What is the average power consumption of your EV per km?

3) How far do you drive your EV per day, without having to resort to charging off the grid? I'll accept responses in tenths of km here

Be honest, please, because the laws of physics will catch you out.

• Confused 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

If electric cars were truly a cost effective alternative there would be no need to actively promote them.  Consumers recongizing their benefits would buy them. 

Instead they are being shoved down everyones throat without regard to the very real negatives that they have. 

Having driven in Thailand it is far from unusual to not have to traverse through flooded streets.  As this couple found out you do so at your own peril.  Water seeped into the battery compartment and ruined the cars battery. 

https://www.carexpert.com.au/car-news/scottish-couple-facing-33k-repair-bill-after-driving-tesla-in-heavy-rain

image.png.a3e90a6c50c97dc4447421798966f759.png

Edited by Longwood50
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

42 minutes ago, retarius said:

You just killed your own argument with data. There were 500,000 odd sales from Jan to September. There are less than 5,000 chargers of all types....per your data ie less than 1 charger for 1000 vehicles. Not nearly enough.

500,942 vehicles sold of which 10.05% EVs = 50,000 EVs = 1 charger for every 10 EVs  - not very good at sums at school?  🙄

53 minutes ago, retarius said:

And soon like the UK you will need a separate electric meter for home charging (at higher tariff) with restricted hours.

I think you meant for home charging (at Lower tariff) with restricted hours

UK :

OctopusFlux.thumb.jpg.63e8bc66dc5b377d1ff42fa7319da30d.jpg

Currently in Thailand:

MEATimeOfRate.jpg.0cf5765a42d843246d644f587d9a7bd9.jpg

58 minutes ago, retarius said:

I will not buy one until the range problem is fixed

You can drive more than 650km without stopping for a pee? So you must have a urinary catheter bag.

1 hour ago, retarius said:

I will not buy one

Finally we agree on something EVs are clearly not for you. Stick with your old diesel it will probably outlast you.

• Thumbs Up 1

How exactly is the required electricity going to be provided? Right now there are problems with power. Better than it used to be I would agree but not perfect. Also has anyone considered the following:

1. Many people do not live in houses where a charger can be installed so how are they going to charge an EV?

2. The batteries require rare earth materials for their production. Maybe no one has heard but they are called "rare" for a reason. These are also required in the manufacture of everything that is electronic. That includes computers, mobile phone, Internet Network (Switches, Servers etc.) and Televisions.

Are the people going to sacrifice the above for a car that has inherent problems and will cost serious amount of money when the batteries will, and they will, need to be replaced?

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, Photoguy21 said:

How exactly is the required electricity going to be provided?

Currently Crypto mining uses more energy than EV charging which is mostly done at night at times of low demand or like me from solar in the middle of the day.

My EV has bi-directional charging so I could feed back to the grid at times of peak demand, when Thailand allows it.

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Haha 1

17 minutes ago, Photoguy21 said:

Also has anyone considered the following:

1. Many people do not live in houses where a charger can be installed so how are they going to charge an EV?

Believe it or not these problems are being solved.

some pictures for you

20231015_014530599_iOS.jpeg.0243d22a9da006d6e9c25e6db0c69619.jpeg

20231015_015257000_iOS.jpeg.9902d13a863967ee3768f17d9cba3757.jpeg

20231015_015228000_iOS.jpeg.07b061a2dfbb8173479209f918ba5a4b.jpeg

20231015_015128000_iOS.jpeg.f03601cfbe3084203139f9348a809879.jpeg

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

21 minutes ago, Photoguy21 said:

2. The batteries require rare earth materials for their production. Maybe no one has heard but they are called "rare" for a reason.

Can you please post which Cathode Battery chemistries require Rare Earth Elements?

To get you started this is mine FeLiO4P Lithium iron phosphate.

IMG_2299.thumb.jpeg.4dfb485a15813e7ab90b34304bc07757.jpeg

IMG_2300.thumb.jpeg.22e83c7e2c7ea649acd565d3b67d89d0.jpeg