Hit and run got me, I'm all broken!

BritManToo

51 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

The lawyer would stop that, they'd need to bribe you too

..... Or bribe my wife, she was all up for court action, then mysteriously lost interest.

Also the policeman handling the case died unexpectedly, just before handing the case over to the courts.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Sad 2
  • Thumbs Up 1

6 hours ago, BritManToo said:

Just got the all clear from the doctor this morning.

Last to heal was my collarbone, now fused if a bit lumpy.

Says I don't need any more physiotherapy, arm doesn't have full movement but good enough.

Still some pain in the shoulder, but probably no worse than any other old guys bones and joints.

So total cost for 4 months medical care, 5 broken ribs, broken collarbone, collapsed lung, 3 days in hospital, countless X-rays, meds, 8x physio was just under 13kbht, paid for by government minimum m/c insurance.

It sucks, an accident in jiffy time makes it bad and then you are busy long time to built up again.

Good to hear you are still going forwards. No more physio, but guess you still do some exercises?

Maybe some swimming now if you can? You activate all muscle at once.

Been 4 months now, probably needs longer time, if ever will pass. One thing for sure, at least you are improving!  

• Thumbs Up 1

• 8 months later...
Just now, BritManToo said:

But compensation money also reduces the jail time.

I'd prefer my attacker to get maximum jail time.

I don't believe the rich should be allowed to buy their way out of jail.

That's the way power works, and always will, until the rich are punished just like the poor. Here, seeing it's a poor country, they feel many can't afford the fines, so they let them get away with most anything, which shows others they can also do the same things. If they fined everyone who drove without a license, didn't wear helmets, rode with more than 2 on a scooter, drove recklessly or too fast, they would reduce the deaths. People would lose hard earned money, but that's the best way to learn better habits.

23 minutes ago, BritManToo said:

They do it in every country. How do you think Murdoch stayed out of a UK jail?

IIRC you said your attacker was a university lecturer, I didn't know they were that rich. Perhaps it's the prestige more than the money.

Edited by Lacessit

26 minutes ago, fredwiggy said:

That's the way power works, and always will, until the rich are punished just like the poor. Here, seeing it's a poor country, they feel many can't afford the fines, so they let them get away with most anything, which shows others they can also do the same things. If they fined everyone who drove without a license, didn't wear helmets, rode with more than 2 on a scooter, drove recklessly or too fast, they would reduce the deaths. People would lose hard earned money, but that's the best way to learn better habits.

IMO if the police here started locking up offender's scooters for a few weeks, road behaviors would improve very rapidly, as the word got around.

Fines here are laughable. I was fined 500 baht for speeding some years ago, a speed camera that was actually working.

The same offence in Australia would have cost me 17,000 baht, with 3 demerit points on my licence.

Just now, Lacessit said:

IMO if the police here started locking up offender's scooters for a few weeks, road behaviors would improve very rapidly, as the word got around.

Fines here are laughable. I was fined 500 baht for speeding some years ago, a speed camera that was actually working.

The same offence in Australia would have cost me 17,000 baht, with 3 demerit points on my licence.

True, but if you fine locals, who are doing the majority of the bad driving here, you take money away from those that don't have much, and that's the best deterrent. Taking away their scooters would also work as a lesson. Walking isn't fun, especially if you live in the country.

8 minutes ago, fredwiggy said:

True, but if you fine locals, who are doing the majority of the bad driving here, you take money away from those that don't have much, and that's the best deterrent. Taking away their scooters would also work as a lesson. Walking isn't fun, especially if you live in the country.

The fines are too small to be a deterrent, usually 200 baht.

Take someone's scooter away for a month, it probably affects their livelihood.

Just now, Lacessit said:

The fines are too small to be a deterrent, usually 200 baht.

Take someone's scooter away for a month, it probably affects their livelihood.

As would a 1000 baht fine. You don't take their scooters away unless they are  driving drunk, operating without a license, insurance or not of age. Then until they get insurance proof, a license and are of age you hold their scooters in impoundment. But the problem there, if you punished everyone that was driving like that, the storage place would be the size of the Superdome. Just like in the US, you have a record of their driving, on a central computer, so they can check their records and see if they're suspended or revoked. of course this would take desire, which isn't something they have because they really don't care.

1 hour ago, BritManToo said:

What 'sort of jail time' would you expect ? 

Or, rather, what has your lawyer informed you that could be expected (min / max / likely)

And what charges is the Professor facing ?

... It is reckless endangerment with a vehicle causing injury etc ?

... or is it something closer to accidental injury ?

3 minutes ago, rocketboy2 said:

it Just shows you, rage is never far from the surface with most Thai's.

Most Thai's eh? So you must have been in a lot of fights if you have lived here for any length of time. Brit man was hit by an A hole, does not matter if he was Thai,  American or any other nationality. 

• Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

1 minute ago, marin said:

Most Thai's eh? So you must have been in a lot of fights if you have lived here for any length of time. Brit man was hit by an A hole, does not matter if he was Thai,  American or any other nationality. 

Yes it does matter.

Thai's hit and run all the time here, most other nationalities don't in Thailand. Duh. 

1 minute ago, rocketboy2 said:

Thai's hit and run all the time here, most other nationalities don't in Thailand. Duh. 

That was not at all what I said.

10 minutes ago, rocketboy2 said:

it Just shows you, rage is never far from the surface with most Thai's.

That is what I commented on and it could not be further from the truth. 

• Haha 1

46 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Or, rather, what has your lawyer informed you that could be expected (min / max / likely)

I expect zero jail time, just a warning, don't try and kill someone again you bad boy

• Like 1

36 minutes ago, marin said:

Brit man was hit by an A hole, does not matter if he was Thai,  American or any other nationality. 

We haven't heard the other side of the story yet .

I doubt very much whether BM2s plastic bag just accidently scrapped against the car as he was riding past.

I expect that something else happened that annoyed the car driver 

20 minutes ago, scubascuba3 said:

I expect zero jail time, just a warning, don't try and kill someone again you bad boy

Thats kind of my thoughts...       the penalties for such behavior over here are pathetic.

There is usually the initial outrage, shock, threads, police taking this so seriously, mentions of the most extreme case scenario (i.e. Max fine / max jail term)...    then once legal proceedings take place the police lose interest as there is nothing in it for them any longer...   

Judges are especially lenient if the accused shows remorse, apologises etc... 

The worst i can see out of this is a suspended 2 month sentence for reckless driving.

Obviously, I hope for more, not just for Brit's sake, but for everyone else in the area and everyone in general - the messages needs to be very clear that such behavior is 'not tolerated'... But hard evidence is lacking...   The accused just needs to say it was an accident..... 

That said: Brit mentioned that the accused did 'state' that the collision was intentional - though I don't know if that carried through into any legal documentation such as an actual police report.

• Haha 1

35 minutes ago, Nick Carter icp said:

We haven't heard the other side of the story yet .

I doubt very much whether BM2s plastic bag just accidently scrapped against the car as he was riding past.

I expect that something else happened that annoyed the car driver 

Still no excuse for what he did. Glad you have made a decent recovery Brit Man Too.

1 hour ago, richard_smith237 said:

Charge translates to "Causing serious bodily harm", which I assume is the same as GBH back in the UK (assault with a deadly weapon).

Suggested jail time (by public prosecutor) was 5 - 10 years.

I have no lawyer, this is the state Vs my attacker.

I know his family are wealthy as this court was dealing with violent crimes, and the other 5 cases being tried were brought in wearing leg irons and pink "scrubs" and he could afford bail.

Surprised it's got this far, as I wasn't expecting anything.

Edited by BritManToo
  • Thumbs Up 1

1 minute ago, BritManToo said:

Charge translates to "Causing serious bodily harm", which I assume is the same as GBH back in the UK (assault with a deadly weapon).

Suggested jail time (by public prosecutor) was 5 - 10 years.

I have no lawyer, this is the state Vs my attacker.

Thanks for the info....  

Based on your account of events - I do hope this guy gets what he fully deserves.

Off topic deflection posts and replies about violent crimes in the USA have been removed.

A post in which the quoted content had been altered out of context and an inflammatory reply has been removed. 

Edited by metisdead
Added an additional note.