Not Liking Thai People

JimTripper

2 minutes ago, JayClay said:

I always find it amazing just how many people with racist tendencies seem to move here.

I'm sure that there will be plenty of people replying to this post saying that a statement such as "I no longer want to be around Thai people" isn't racist. Those that do, are simply exposing themselves as one of the people which I am referring to.

Agreed. Part of this, I think, is big fish in small pond syndrome. Another part is having more money tp spend than most locals hence there's no need to try and fit in, learn Thai and understand culture, all their knowledge comes from the things they see and hear in their farang tourist dominated surroundings.

• Like 1

8 minutes ago, Andre0720 said:

I do not consider myself to be a racist.

But I have learned about other races a lot, by being around people of other races.

Knowing about other races, and developing opinions about other races, certainly is not being racist. As if one could only talk only about other races that they like, while the other opinions, well then they become racists.

So if we could just refer to things that we have learnt, what we know...

Regardless of how nice one could think that Thai people are, particularly men. Here are some of the characteristics of the population here;

- Very selfish. They refuse to obey the traffic regulations. If their driving endangers other people on the roads, so be it. They do not care at all. Speeding, calling, texting...

- Very irresponsible. They will try every option they can think of to avoid taking responsibility. In case of road accidents, children they have fathered. Women are left alone to take care of their children, in many instances. I was told by my Thai neighbor not to stay on the scene of an accident, as describing what has been witnessed can be dangerous to one's life. Preventing a driver from lying about an accident is dangerous...

- Very emotional. I am told many times to not even look at other drivers on the road, as it could be dangerous if the other driver gets offended at being looked at.

- The wisdom here tells that one should never fight a Thai man. You cannot win. They will hold a grudge, until they find a way, with 4 or 5 other men, to avenge a loss of face.

But then, all of this can be construed as being a positive or negative, in the context of expats living in Thailand.

Seems to me that in so many instances, expats find it positive, as they can have a nice relationship with a Thai woman, who has totally lost any desire to spend time with any of these Thai men...

So enjoy your stay...

My time here has had it ups and downs, but I imagine it would be the same wherever I lived. 

There was the 5 year pink cloud here, then reality hit home, things pissed me off, for the next 10-15 years. Over 20 years things get better and you learn to integrate. IMHO, it is racist to not want to adapt to a foreign culture. When in Rome.....

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Celsius said:

No, don't move that's what they want you to do

Who are  "They"      Celsius?.....the collective Thai population who are all wanting & planing to drive him out........

Think maybe its time to evaluate the price of shares in Tin foil Hats..........:coffee1:

• Sad 2
  • Thumbs Up 2

20 minutes ago, Andre0720 said:

I do not consider myself to be a racist.

But I have learned about other races a lot, by being around people of other races.

Knowing about other races, and developing opinions about other races, certainly is not being racist. As if one could only talk only about other races that they like, while the other opinions, well then they become racists.

So if we could just refer to things that we have learnt, what we know...

Regardless of how nice one could think that Thai people are, particularly men. Here are some of the characteristics of the population here;

- Very selfish. They refuse to obey the traffic regulations. If their driving endangers other people on the roads, so be it. They do not care at all. Speeding, calling, texting...

- Very irresponsible. They will try every option they can think of to avoid taking responsibility. In case of road accidents, children they have fathered. Women are left alone to take care of their children, in many instances. I was told by my Thai neighbor not to stay on the scene of an accident, as describing what has been witnessed can be dangerous to one's life. Preventing a driver from lying about an accident is dangerous...

- Very emotional. I am told many times to not even look at other drivers on the road, as it could be dangerous if the other driver gets offended at being looked at.

- The wisdom here tells that one should never fight a Thai man. You cannot win. They will hold a grudge, until they find a way, with 4 or 5 other men, to avenge a loss of face.

But then, all of this can be construed as being a positive or negative, in the context of expats living in Thailand.

Seems to me that in so many instances, expats find it positive, as they can have a nice relationship with a Thai woman, who has totally lost any desire to spend time with any of these Thai men...

So enjoy your stay...

Many of the items you list / describe can be fund in many cultures.

Many of the items you list / describe are true of a small % of the local population and could relate to either male or female Thai folks.

And I have no hesitation to say I have many sincere and helpful Thai friends. 

I've been here 35+years, I've had 2 nasty experiences with foreigners stealing from me.

Plus about 1 year back a drunk American hit a car driven by my Thai daughter-in-laws aunt.

Severe damage to the car and the middle aged Thai lady spent 1.5 months in hospital with numerous injuries.

The American tried to flee but was caught quickly by locals who tied him to a post until the police arrived.

There's an ongoing battle to get him to pay for the repairs to the Thai lady's car. The American has insurance but refuses to lodge a report with the insurance company. 

But does that mean all Americans have the same attitudes, of course not. 

• Like 2

44 minutes ago, scorecard said:

Many of the items you list / describe can be fund in many cultures.

Many of the items you list / describe are true of a small % of the local population and could relate to either male or female Thai folks.

And I have no hesitation to say I have many sincere and helpful Thai friends. 

I've been here 35+years, I've had 2 nasty experiences with foreigners stealing from me.

Plus about 1 year back a drunk American hit a car driven by my Thai daughter-in-laws aunt.

Severe damage to the car and the middle aged Thai lady spent 1.5 months in hospital with numerous injuries.

The American tried to flee but was caught quickly by locals who tied him to a post until the police arrived.

There's an ongoing battle to get him to pay for the repairs to the Thai lady's car. The American has insurance but refuses to lodge a report with the insurance company. 

But does that mean all Americans have the same attitudes, of course not. 

Oh yes, one can always find some anecdotal evidence of societal traits that resemble those found in Thailand.

But as wisdom tells us: 'The exception confirms the rule'.

9 hours ago, StayinThailand2much said:

I just had a very disappointing experience with a compatriot today, making me wonder whether there's something bad in the water here...

No, seriously, (Thai) people are very annoying, but the way to deal with it seems to be to outright ignore them. I say these days that I'm not living here because of Thai people, but in spite of them. Many seem to have 'big problems', and knowing that I manage my life here much better than most of them gives me satisfaction every day...

I think that's part of my issue. I'm picking up on, or overly sensitive, to other people's problems, even if it's just a vibe and not outright requests for money or whatever.

That's a lot of what problems are, they get transfered from one person to another, "your problems, become their problems".

1 minute ago, JimTripper said:

I think that's part of my issue. I'm picking up on, or overly sensitive, to other people's problems, even if it's just a vibe and not outright requests for money or whatever.

That's a lot of what problems are, they get transfered from one person to another, "your problems, become their problems".

Humans are no good mostly

Misery loves company

• Like 1
  • Haha 1

My perception of people changed drastically for the better (total 180, actually) when I moved from s-hole Phuket to Bangkok and also started spending time in Buriram.

If you're around trash, you eventually become trash.  Generally speaking of course. 

• Haha 1

23 minutes ago, Andre0720 said:

Oh yes, one can always find some anecdotal evidence of societal traits that resemble those found in Thailand.

But as wisdom tells us: 'The exception confirms the rule'.

That's your version, not necessariy everybody's version.

10 minutes ago, fredwiggy said:

No matter what anyone thinks, this is what it is, and true. I have a Thai ex, who did me wrong, a Thai girlfriend, who treats me well, but still doesn't fully understand what western life is, as she has never left Thailand. I have a half Thai daughter. I have never been racist or prejudiced against any race or creed, growing up near NYC alongside all races and creeds, and fit in very well with them. This country, and others surrounding it, have done things a certain way for generations. Things which are not considered normal behavior, but have been forced on them by the rich and "powerful". They fear speaking out, unlike other countries where you can say whatever you want and won't be arrested or killed, as long as it's not threatening.                                                                                                                                                                            People, meaning men, move here for a variety of reasons, the women being the major one, because you can have a younger, pretty girlfriend whereas back in their country it would be much harder or impossible unless you have a lot of money. Some come here because they can't stand their country anymore so leave. I can't wait to get back home with my daughter here, and would leave today if I had the means to re settle there now.                                                                                                                                  This is not a good place for girls or women. They are victimized and used daily, a lot more than back home. Especially in universities. This is a main reason I will leave with my daughter before it has a chance to happen. The Thai men aren't held accountable for the children they make like men are back home. This is another reason I don't want my daughter growing up here.                                                                                                                                                                                                                               The roads are among the most dangerous on earth, and that won't change for decades to come. I have had at least 6 dogs that called my house a home, although they came here because I was nice to them and gave them food, poisoned by some sick jerk**f that doesn't want dogs running through his cassava, as I've been told. I don\t know who they are, so I can't do anything until I do. They , for the most part in what I've seen and heard, don't really care for their animals once they are past puppy or kitten stage, letting them run rampant all over and getting hit by cars here more than I've ever seen. How you treat your animals is how you treat humans.                               I have been around hundreds of village people in the years I've lived here, and most seem to accept me (not knowing what's behind those smiles), so I don't have a problem with the majority of them, even though they might not like me in reality. If you can speak Thai, of course you can "fit in" a little better, although making friends here isn't an easy thing to do for most of us, because of the language barrier, and a relationship only happens because of good communication.                                                                          All I see and hear, from Thai's, especially women, is that their "friends" , aren't real friends and gossip about them when they aren't around. This is a huge issue here, much more than I saw for 62 years back in the US. I have many good friends back home, and like most others, have a few I can count on, and they aren't talking bad about me when I'm not around, as that always gets back to you eventually. My girlfriend here, who' s 42, tells me she has no friends, at least any she trusts, and this further solidifies what I said. Her own sister in law, who lives next door, tells others about her when she is gossiping to her friends, and this of course , in a little village, gets back to my girlfriend eventually. My girlfriend is a very nice, congenial woman who doesn't say much of anything about others besides what she actually sees herself, and gets along with everyone as far as I can see. This stresses her out all the time, as talking bad about you, even though you might have a thick skin, still gets to you when others do it. If I had my way, I would be gone from here today, taking my girlfriend with me back home. That might happen in time, but for now, my plan is to be gone from here as soon as I can get things together and find a home back home for us. This isn't again, about liking or not liking Thai people, but seeing things as they really are, and not wanting to be around it any longer, as the OP states.

The world has changed

• Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Just now, bignok said:

The world has changed

Been progressively getting worse through the years. Narcissism , especially among world leaders, has lead to the downfall of society and many relationships. Alpha males are ruining the world daily, and some morons actually support these types, thinking they are somehow above others in their ways, when actually they are all inferior little boys needing power to control others around them.

• Thumbs Up 1