AFRICA -Have you? Would you?

Prubangboy

We went on an amazing safari/glamping thing not long ago and it was amazing. It was amazing.

SA now is sadly a very dangerous place with lots of gun violence, home invasion crap. The legacy, some say, of the abuse and destruction of apartheid. 

I went in the early eighties, to SA, Mauritius and lots of north western Africa places as a young hippie surfer. The apartheid was unbelievably cruel and violent. The gunja, hash, and uncrowded perfect waves insane.

I had a period where I loved to listen to Ladysmith Black Mambazo

I travelled to Morocco in late 80s - a different part of Africa I know- but I hated it - never want to return.

Explored the Kenyan game parks and Nairobi in 88 . Absolutely loved it!  Would I go back?  Yes.  Would I live there? Never!!

• Like 1

Did a safari in Kenya. The Masai were so friendly, the countryside really beautiful.

I still have a couple of Fela albums from uni here in Thailand.

I don't fancy living in the countryside there having seen what lions do to their prey. 

Edited by Purdey
  • Haha 1

On 10/26/2023 at 10:22 AM, Stocky said:

I lived and worked for 14 years in Africa. South Africa, Namibia, Ghana, Tanzania and Zambia. I also visited Botswana, Lesotho, Swaziland, Togo and Ivory Coast. I enjoyed my time in Africa though I'm not sure I'd wish to retire there, there are still too many issues with corruption, poor infrastructure, and in many instances political uncertainty. If I did, then probably Ghana or Tanzania, both countries I found very welcoming, with interesting people, cultures, history and places to see. 

How about prices compared to Thailand?

5 hours ago, Purdey said:

I still have a couple of Fela albums from uni here in Thailand.

Gagging to know the titles. My top 3: Zombie, He Miss The Road, Black President. Basically, James Brown with 6 drummers.

If anyone wants to dip a toe into Afrobeat:

Getting girls and good music nearly everywhere in (black) Africa is not difficult. Getting everything else is though. Of late, the former has been getting less true because of meddling by feminist NGOs, while the latter has become much, much worse.

Fancy a 3* hotel for 200 USD/night without breakfast? Go to Kampala, Abidjan, Ouagadougou, Yaoundé, Dakar, Cotonou ...

Flights to and from Africa are per mile very expensive (no competition, only Airfrance or Ethiopian etc.). Retirement visas? 3000 USD/year in Kenya! Only exception seems to be South Africa, but from what I've read the country is  war zone.

• Like 1

I sold up in the UK and "emigrated" to South Africa in 1986 - an amazingingly beautiful country and I was better off financially than I ever was before or have been since. However, after four years of living behind barbed wire, burglar bars and 24-hour security I realised that money isn't everything. The main topic of conversation of expats was who got burgled/robbed at knifepoint/murdered/raped in the last week and it just wore me down - in most countries you are simply robbed but in many parts of Africa they want to also maim or murder their victims (black or white) for good measure.

A few years later I did a six-month stint in Camaroon (Yaoundé) but it was more of the same.

Thailand really is Lalaland by comparison.

• Like 1

The worst part is what they charge for the upscale safari tours and lodging, considering what the staff gets at payday. A bit like in all developping countries or Thailand, charging western standard rates for top service for sure, but at a fraction of operationnal costs in comparison.

22 hours ago, Prubangboy said:

Gagging to know the titles. My top 3: Zombie, He Miss The Road, Black President. Basically, James Brown with 6 drummers.

If anyone wants to dip a toe into Afrobeat:

Black President and Sorrow Tears and Blood. Black President is my favorite. 

On 10/26/2023 at 9:50 AM, Prubangboy said:

cost 50% less for a better beach view, would

On 10/27/2023 at 7:53 AM, save the frogs said:

no, have never been.

would be interested in seeing the Masaii tribe some day ... although I don't know if I will chicken out. And don't think I will ever drink the cow blood. 

this carnival in nigeria looks like fun.

Calabar was fun indeed.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 10/27/2023 at 1:32 PM, thecyclist said:

How about prices compared to Thailand?

I lived and worked there in the 80s & 90s, so my experience isn't current. These days I only do short site visits to projects, the most recent trip was 2019 to South Africa and Zambia, though as the client covers all expenses I pay little attention. Generally I'd guess cheaper, provided you weren't buying imported stuff, if you want your home comforts then that would likely be similar or quite possibly more expensive. 

On 10/26/2023 at 11:21 AM, Fruit Trader said:

This guy appeared at my sister-in-laws rent rooms over in Banglamung Nong Prue M1 a few years back. He was living in Japan at the time and looking for a new adventure in Thailand.

A lot of reasons to hate Africa

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sbTtvZVxMHY

Stopped watching  after 1 minute...says nothing except babble on a load of rubbish

30 minutes ago, Stocky said:

Generally I'd guess cheaper, provided you weren't buying imported stuff, if you want your home comforts then that would likely be similar or quite possibly more expensive. 

Actually my experience is also dated but many of these countries make virtually nothing so everything has to be imported.  In Guinea they could not even make a safety pin in 1983 per their leader Ahmed Sékou Touré (talking about how much help the USSR gave them).  I can attest Conakry hospital was a place to die (where bed pan contents were dumped from the windows).  

38 minutes ago, lopburi3 said:

In Guinea they could not even make a safety pin in 1983

I think today you'll probably find in most countries safety pins are made in China, along with most everything

• Haha 1

I could happily live in Egypt that place is so cool.  The fresh morning sunrise and streets lined with trees.  And the sunset would reflect off the buildings and make the city glow gold.

I still can't believe this happened but the pilot banked over the pyramids before landing.  Absolutely enchanting.

I stayed in a hotel for the whole time.  So I don't about the food.

Edited by Chris Daley
  • Haha 2

On 10/26/2023 at 10:53 AM, CanadaSam said:

Kenya, Mombasa Beach, a nightclub where two ladies actually physically fought over me!

Would never consider moving there.  Thailand is a lot tamer.

555 I had 5 fight over me

I'd like to go back to Mombasa, had a great time. South Africa also good

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, baansgr said:

Stopped watching  after 1 minute...says nothing except babble on a load of rubbish

Let me guess, he talks rubbish because your extensive experience and knowledge of Africa does not align with his opinion. Please enlighten us, the topic is - AFRICA -Have you? Would you? 

On 10/27/2023 at 8:08 AM, Prubangboy said:

I've seen M'bila -twice. In that Soukous-style dance music, for me Kanda Bongo Man -with the guitar genius Diblo doing the same riff sometimes 30 chorus's in a row- is the peak.

Best ever Congolese show was Franco at the Rumble in the Jungle Ali fight. He opened for James Brown (another killer performance worth seeking out). James was impressed.

If anyone wants to hijack this thread to talk about old African pop records, I'd be grateful. I saw Fela 4 times.

Kwela!

I am sure there is better to be found

Edited by StreetCowboy

On 10/27/2023 at 8:08 AM, Prubangboy said:

I've seen M'bila -twice. In that Soukous-style dance music, for me Kanda Bongo Man -with the guitar genius Diblo doing the same riff sometimes 30 chorus's in a row- is the peak.

Best ever Congolese show was Franco at the Rumble in the Jungle Ali fight. He opened for James Brown (another killer performance worth seeking out). James was impressed.

If anyone wants to hijack this thread to talk about old African pop records, I'd be grateful. I saw Fela 4 times.