AFRICA -Have you? Would you?

Prubangboy

I was never there and I don't plan to go there.

It seems many of us have a distorted view about that continent. I recently saw a video (sorry, no link) that lots of people made up their mind about Africa since Bob Geldof and Band Aid in 1984. And then they never changed their mind. And it seems lots of "charity" organizations use that preestablished view of the continent to make money. 

• Like 1

Dakar, Senegal had Goree Island, one of the big slave trading ports.

It was like Luang Prubang or Old City Chiang Mai -a classy guest house/nice restaurant/crafty shop kind of place. I could def see a stay there.

In general tho, I seem to enjoy my African-ness second hand; in Harlem or Brixton.  

Paris is the best second-hand African experience. There's enough of an Afrophile market to fill a mid-sized theatre with a big name like Salif Keita or Baba Maal.

The audience will be 95% white, like I used to see at a B B King blues show in the states.

Edited by Prubangboy

Duay, had a few African girl friends, my mate married a Ugandan. Looking back it was a lucky escape for me, never go back there. Some of the music is still good, esp Ugandan- Sheebah

Mibilia was great in the 80's

Edited by proton

I've been as a tourist, but I'd never live there.

If I went back it would be a spotlight tour. A quick flight into Egypt, then maybe Mt Kilimanjaro, I'd skip the game parks, maybe a quick stop somewhere on the North West (Morocco), then get the hell out of there.

2 hours ago, OneMoreFarang said:

I was never there and I don't plan to go there.

It seems many of us have a distorted view about that continent. I recently saw a video (sorry, no link) that lots of people made up their mind about Africa since Bob Geldof and Band Aid in 1984. And then they never changed their mind. And it seems lots of "charity" organizations use that preestablished view of the continent to make money. 

The whole Ethiopian/Sudan famine was a complex business, essentially the result of corrupt ruthless politicians, a continent wide scourge. The whole Bob Geldorf Band Aid business was in some, many ways controversial, but I firmly believe it was a force for good.

I remember reading the account of an Irish nurse, working with the dying children in one of those terrible camps, talking of her emotions at first hearing and then seeing the RAF C130s come out of the dawn light with desperately needed food and medicines. I am not perhaps as hard bitten as I would like to think, and that account has stayed with me.

Maggie Thatcher had told the Ethiopian dictator that the flights were coming, and that if he made any attempt to interfere his air force would be destroyed within the hour. A lot of people don't like Thatcher, and whilst I sometimes sympathise if not agree with them, she made a typically bold and brave decision in this case. Many lives were saved.

Africa is in many contexts a basket case. Corrupt politicians and their gangs/clans run many of the countries. I do believe, infuriating as it may be for some who see that, and controversial a view as it may be, it is incumbent upon the West to help their peoples. 

If you are a believer it is the Lord's work, if you are a Humanist then it is simple humanity.

Edited by herfiehandbag
  • Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

3 hours ago, Fruit Trader said:

This guy appeared at my sister-in-laws rent rooms over in Banglamung Nong Prue M1 a few years back. He was living in Japan at the time and looking for a new adventure in Thailand.

A lot of reasons to hate Africa

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sbTtvZVxMHY

What a strange numpty

Been there - would not wish to return. 

Lagos in 67 check in to Kaduna flight with rifle to head.  Arrive Kaduna for military customs inspector to declare my telephone lens is a bomb.  Work there 3 months.

Conakry 2 years of work early 80's - extreme poverty (all aid from USSR - which was junk they could not fix like bus that would not run - while they dug the minerals).  People friendly but no English.

• Thumbs Up 1

Worked and lived in Sudan, Uganda, and Zambia.

Of all the people the Sudanese were very friendly.

In Zambia met a Japanese Thai couple who owned a Toyota car dealership and had settled there.

One time driving between Livingstone and Lusaka in the middle of nowhere our car broke down. Along came a pickup and a elderly British guy stopped and assisted us, towed us to his farm and there we were surprised to meet his Thai wife. They had settled there for many years and were running a wildlife farm and a tourist business.

Of course it is not Thailand but the nature, quiet and clean air would suit those who could adapt to live a quiet life. I would estimate unsuitable for most AN members.

Edited by freeworld
  • Like 2

2 hours ago, Stocky said:

What a strange numpty

An introvert who went from a well paid teaching job in Japan to the Jungles of Africa. The demise and subsequent odd behaviour began with rejection of the Japanese work ethic and a series of videos aimed at crushing the dreams of anyone wishing to live and work in Japan. All of his original video content has disappeared.

18 hours ago, proton said:

Duay, had a few African girl friends, my mate married a Ugandan. Looking back it was a lucky escape for me, never go back there. Some of the music is still good, esp Ugandan- Sheebah

Mibilia was great in the 80's

I've seen M'bila -twice. In that Soukous-style dance music, for me Kanda Bongo Man -with the guitar genius Diblo doing the same riff sometimes 30 chorus's in a row- is the peak.

Best ever Congolese show was Franco at the Rumble in the Jungle Ali fight. He opened for James Brown (another killer performance worth seeking out). James was impressed.

If anyone wants to hijack this thread to talk about old African pop records, I'd be grateful. I saw Fela 4 times.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

21 hours ago, Prubangboy said:

-Do you enjoy anything African (Art, textile, Ethiopian food, Paul Simon albums)?

-Have you been/where would you go if money were no object? (Me: Senegal in '94).

-If it was safe and cost 50% less for a better beach view, would you consider it?

No & No & No

Zero interest from me.

• Haha 1

13 minutes ago, simon43 said:

Bhundu Boys!! 

....post album #2, they were driving cabs in London.

The DJ's, Andy Kershaw and John Peel were major boosters. Andy has a website with some good playlists on it.

Mid 80's, England had a bit of Afro-interest with Peter Gabriel, Sting etc playing with international players, plus The Real World festival. King Sunny Ade could sell out 5K seats. Y'sou N'Dour seems to still be in that prestige, $100+ a ticket world music market. 

Edited by Prubangboy
  • Like 1