Leaving and getting blacklisted

What happens if you enter visa exempt and leave by air on the 31st day of your stay (counting your day of arrival as Day 1). Will the IO at the airport just stamp you out, bombard you with questions or subject you to a stern lecture? I understand there is no fine or special stamp in your passport.

31 minutes ago, 10years said:

What happens if you enter visa exempt and leave by air on the 31st day of your stay (counting your day of arrival as Day 1). Will the IO at the airport just stamp you out, bombard you with questions or subject you to a stern lecture? I understand there is no fine or special stamp in your passport.

There is no fine (if leaving by air from one of the Bangkok airports). However, usually there will be an overstay stamp. Assuming you are not an habitual overstayer, there will be no questioning or criticism.

13 hours ago, simon43 said:

I seem to recall a previous thread on AN where the person on overstay reported to the airport to pay the fine etc and was promptly arrested and put in the IDC!

Just saying... you can't always assume that immigration officers will stick to the  rules...

Yes, there were a couple of what I would deem suspicious arrests of people on overstay at Phuket airport.

19 hours ago, justaphase said:

will it be possible to go earlier to avoid any extra hassle?

She's gonna get some hassle.

Depending on the officer dealing with the issue.

She'll get the max 20,000 baht fine, and a one year ban [I think] as it's below one year overstay.

Something will be stamped into her passport.

Edited by hotchilli

1 hour ago, DJ54 said:

Was fairly recent I recall…. 

May have been this thread.

However unrelated to this thread.

The OP, friend will be given one year ban and fine of 20k.

That's it.

The USA guy in the thread attached must have had something else to answer to.

https://aseannow.com/topic/1301036-overstaying-american-arrested-at-phuket-airport/

22 hours ago, Caldera said:

OP, arriving at the airport before check-in for the flight out opens would be pointless, as one has to check in before going to immigration.

The OP's 'friend' is departing on THAI. Being their home-airport, check-in can be earlier than the standard 3 hours when other airlines check-in gates normally open. The THAI check-in desks are staffed round-the-clock plus they also have their self check-in kiosks which make it even easier.

My preferred method is to do the online check-in first (opens 24-hours before departure), and get the QR coded digital boarding pass on the phone via email. Scan that QR code at the self-service kiosk (faster than passport scans or typing in reservation codes), print the label for any checked bag and the paper boarding pass. Drop the bag at bag drop, get the check stub and cruise on through.

I have done this several times when my domestic arrival in BKK resulted in having about 6 hours to kill before departure overseas. Checked-in as above, through security and immigration and into the lounge for a few hours.

Good luck (and relax)

• Thumbs Up 1

22 hours ago, scorecard said:

Just for clarity, I'm assuming that discovery at airport check-in / going through passport departure comes under:

"In case of Alien Surrendering to the Authorities".

Yes, but "serving" your ban time, be it 1 year or 3 years, will not automatically mean you can return with no questioning, as to why banned, for an overstay they may (and I do say may) consider that you are a prime candidate to overstay again and hence decide "No Entry" at this time.

• Thanks 1

22 hours ago, Pattaya57 said:

Just wondering why anyone would check in 4 hours before a 1 hour 45 minute flight lol

Point made for OP though, no need to go to airport until check-in counter opens

Simply you get there early and check in then if there is any issue you are not rushed to correct it.

I prefer to get there early to get everything done and then I can relax until time to board.

"Is there any solid advice on what to do?"

Yes, there certainly is some solid advice. Tell your friend not come back if they can't stay here legally without overstaying their visa.

Why is it always a "friend"? Can't the "friend" post themselves? Is she missing both her arms so can't type and ask herself?

Edited by bbi1

On 10/27/2023 at 1:24 PM, Pattaya57 said:

Just wondering why anyone would check in 4 hours before a 1 hour 45 minute flight lol

Usually so I can enjoy breakfast in the VIP lounge, maybe do an hour or two of work (that has to actually be sent) before the flight.  Of course I can do some work on the flight, but it's quite limited without internet access.

• Haha 1

On 10/28/2023 at 6:50 AM, hotchilli said:

She's gonna get some hassle.

Depending on the officer dealing with the issue.

She'll get the max 20,000 baht fine, and a one year ban [I think] as it's below one year overstay.

Something will be stamped into her passport.

Well done on being one of the few people responding to calling the OP's friend a she.  

Most other posters referred to the OP's friend as a he.  

• Thumbs Up 1

14 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

What if She identifies as a He.

In any event the advice is generic doesn't really matter. He, She or It.

Politically correct these days, if you do not know the person's preferred pronouns, is to use "they". It is a reflection of my age that I still wince every time I need to do this, although I do comply.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 10/27/2023 at 4:30 PM, BritTim said:

I personally think it is a bad idea. Any police officer can ask to see your passport and, if you do not have it on you, insist that you promptly get it and show it

Many years ago I was stopped at a dragnet outside of Soi 9/Beach Road and the cop asked to see my passport, which was back in my room in Jomtien.  Two cops drove me to my room and accompanied me upstairs to see the passport and verify the stamps.  It was unnerving and humiliating because the apartment staff then thought I was a criminal.  I now carry a laminated copy of my information page and the relevant stamps on the reverse side. 

• Thumbs Up 1

On 10/27/2023 at 3:46 PM, JimTripper said:

don't they work it off with time in detention, like 500 baht a day?

You are getting wrong info here. 

If you do not have the 20.000 baht when you are trying to leave the country, you will be detained, and brought to IDC. There you will appear before a judge after a few days, and get a fine of 3000 baht. You will no longer have to pay the 20k fine.

Then you will be further detained until you can pay for a ticket home.

When you are able to, you will be brought to Suvarnabhumi, and led to the desk for boarding.

No fine to pay there.

Been there, done that.

Edited by thaibreaker