Heading to Japan, TOMORROW...

GammaGlobulin

4 minutes ago, FruitPudding said:

Is there any Asian people that respect pedestrian crossings? Lol

Haven't seen any yet. Maybe Singapore?

My wife was shocked when we were in Toronto that drivers actually STOPPED at pedestrian crossings.

On 10/28/2023 at 11:10 PM, save the frogs said:

Gamma does. He's highly competitive. And he will need to step up his game on Japan expat forums. 

Gamma, you a cat person? 

People see Gamma differently to how he sees himself, many have put him on ignore, maybe record numbers

• Thumbs Up 1

2 hours ago, scubascuba3 said:

People see Gamma differently to how he sees himself, many have put him on ignore, maybe record numbers

I'm actually worried about the guy.

His last thread was hinting at needing to be frugal by living off of olive oil.

Then he decides to move out of Thailand to a higher cost country. 

Very odd.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, save the frogs said:

Very odd.

Yes, odd................😉

• Haha 1

5 minutes ago, save the frogs said:

Very odd.

He's a troll, likely a mod just generating traffic.

• Thumbs Up 1

On 10/29/2023 at 3:36 PM, keysersoze276 said:

I am curious what your attraction is to live in Japan?

The Ginza is where I'd like to hang out and should I ever win enough millions on lotto, that's my destination.

I'd like to go to the AKB48 shows as well.

Not interested in ordinary Japanese women as they would have nothing to offer me.

On 10/28/2023 at 8:48 PM, save the frogs said:

What kind of visa allows you to stay for 20 years, if you don't mind me asking?

Japan allows people who fulfil the stay requirements to stay as long as they are in compliance with them, and even then if you have been living there for a substantial period of time they are much more relaxed about allowing you to have less income than the rules require.

Personally I lived in Japan for about 27 years with annual extensions of stay based on work

I thought Japan was very frugal with handing out stays to foreigners.

Not at all, I could have got a permanent visa (10 years) if I had chosen 

I guess you need to get married to a local to stay long-term? 

Again incorrect. Stay in Japan legally for more than 10 years and the process of getting a permanent extension, while taking a long time and requiring a lot of paperwork, is not at all difficult. 
Also the annual extension process is less onerous than the Thai one. I have never been asked for more documents Thai I provided or been told that the requirements changed.

• Thanks 2

KYOTO! 

I'm LOVING it. 

My old stomping grounds! 

Not a rooster here to be found!!! 

But, pachinko, aplenty! 

The sounds of steel balls, here, is worse than the roosters. 

Truth be told, I am, already, missing, so much, Thailand. 

I think that I made the worst decision in my life... coming to Japan. 

Thailand culture is warm. 

Japan culture is cold. 

Also, comparatively, the food here... Stinks!

And, my room here in Kyoto is only about 6 tatami. 

Next month, I will move outside the city... And I hope to find a farmhouse to live in a village with an average age of 78...

There are not many children here being born. IMHO, Japan should radically revise its immigration policy to welcome more Chinese people. 

Being here in Kyoto, at this moment, what bothers me most... is the recent passing of Jeff Beck. 

25 years ago, when Jeff Beck performed in Tokyo, Japan was still ALIVE. 

But now, all around me, wherever you might go, all you here is pachinko. And pachinko is just the sound of old men. 

I am old enough to recall a far better and more vibrant Japan, over 50 years ago. 

I recall Yokohama, for example, in 1970. 

But now, the demographics and the culture has changed. 

Even the communal baths here are NOT the same! 

5 minutes ago, GammaGlobulin said:

KYOTO! 

I'm LOVING it. 

My old stomping grounds! 

Not a rooster here to be found!!! 

But, pachinko, aplenty! 

The sounds of steel balls, here, is worse than the roosters. 

Truth be told, I am, already, missing, so much, Thailand. 

I think that I made the worst decision in my life... coming to Japan. 

Japan culture is cold. 

And, my room here in Kyoto is only about 6 tatami. 

Next month, I will move outside the city... And I hope to find a farmhouse to live in a village with an average age of 78...

There are not many children here being born. IMHO, Japan should radically revise its immigration policy to welcome more Chinese people. 

Being here in Kyoto, at this moment, what bothers me most... is the recent passing of Jeff Beck. 

25 years ago, when Jeff Beck performed in Tokyo, Japan was still ALIVE. 

But now, all around me, wherever you might go, all you here is pachinko. And pachinko is just the sound of old men. 

I am old enough to recall a far better and more vibrant Japan, over 50 years ago. 

I recall Yokohama, for example, in 1970. 

But now, the demographics and the culture has changed. 

Even the communal baths here are NOT the same! 

At last! A sensible post from GG! :thumbsup:

1 hour ago, 2baht said:

At last! A sensible post from GG! :thumbsup:

Here in Japan, it's so boring. 

So boring that I am now reading Sean Carroll's books. 

This is the beauty of living a solitary existence in one of the most boring countries in the world. 

I am now reading this Caltech professor's book about Eternity. 

Pretty interesting. 

When I get to the Kyoto countryside, I will have more to say. 

Reading Sean Carroll is pure bliss. 

He's a mixture of Kurt V., and Slaughter House 5.

Years ago, in Japan, I really enjoyed the aroma of nightsoil. 

But, now, Japan is just too clean for my liking. 

The culture here is almost completely unrecognizable. 

Entropy is just so interesting to me, these days... 

Thank you for your comment, because.... 

All foreigners feel lonely in Japan. 

On 10/29/2023 at 1:38 PM, newnative said:

My spouse and I are going to Japan for a week, we leave on Tuesday.  I lived in Japan as a child in the early 60s for a couple of years but my last visit was a quick stop-over in Tokyo for a couple of days with my spouse on our way back from the US in 2016.  We found the Japanese to be very friendly and everyone we ran into could not have been nicer or more helpful--starting with assisting on helping us find our hotel the first day.  

The next morning we were also trying to locate a particular tourist site and a very nice Japanese gentleman, clearly on his way to work, insisted on not just telling us where to go but walking with us part of the way to make sure we did not get lost.  So nice of him to do that, even though it was not in the direction he was originally going.  

This visit, we hope to not be such dunces.  During our 2016 visit, we went out for dinner and looked around for a restaurant, and found one that looked like it was popular with the locals.  Went in, found a table, and patiently waited for the wait staff to come over and take our order.  And, waited.  Finally, someone took pity on us and explained that we needed to place our order at an automated restaurant screen outside that we hadn't noticed on our way in.  Smiles all around.  Well, in our defense, we are spoiled brats, living in Thailand with practically everything done for us.  Wonder what will be new for us this trip--both looking forward to it.

We had a very nice similar experience before Covid, the funniest was when we were in a bus at the back when suddenly the bus stopped and the driver approached us and told us that we had arrived.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, GammaGlobulin said:

Japan culture is cold. 

Find a good ramen shop. Get a bowl of miso ramen, a side of gyoza, and a Sapporo beer. Reawaken your slurping skills, so as to fit in.

Watch the guy in the back making the fresh noodles. He'll lay out the dough, grab a knife, focus zen-like, then chop away, as if he's playing Louis Moreau Gottschalk's "The Banjo" (especially the last verse). You could then use an electron microscope to measure noodle width, and it would not vary by more than an angstrom. Precision for the sake of precision....the Japanese Way.

Go to the same shop every day at the same time, and soon enough the other customers, who go to the same shop at the same time everyday, will be your tomodachis. You might even hear, "I want to onsen with you!"

• Like 1

4 minutes ago, Walker88 said:

Find a good ramen shop. Get a bowl of miso ramen, a side of gyoza, and a Sapporo beer. Reawaken your slurping skills, so as to fit in.

Watch the guy in the back making the fresh noodles. He'll lay out the dough, grab a knife, focus zen-like, then chop away, as if he's playing Louis Moreau Gottschalk's "The Banjo" (especially the last verse). You could then use an electron microscope to measure noodle width, and it would not vary by more than an angstrom. Precision for the sake of precision....the Japanese Way.

Go to the same shop every day at the same time, and soon enough the other customers, who go to the same shop at the same time everyday, will be your tomodachis. You might even hear, "I want to onsen with you!"

Find the Master's Midnight Diner

1 hour ago, GammaGlobulin said:

Here in Japan, it's so boring. 

So boring that I am now reading Sean Carroll's books. 

This is the beauty of living a solitary existence in one of the most boring countries in the world. 

I am now reading this Caltech professor's book about Eternity. 

Pretty interesting. 

When I get to the Kyoto countryside, I will have more to say. 

Reading Sean Carroll is pure bliss. 

He's a mixture of Kurt V., and Slaughter House 5.

Years ago, in Japan, I really enjoyed the aroma of nightsoil. 

But, now, Japan is just too clean for my liking. 

The culture here is almost completely unrecognizable. 

Entropy is just so interesting to me, these days... 

Thank you for your comment, because.... 

All foreigners feel lonely in Japan. 

How about some illustrations to go with your ramblings?

Strong book recco: The Lady And The Monk by Pico Iyer, about hippie Zen-er Pico and his chaste emotional relationship with a very simple Japanese woman (who he married after the book).

The book is also one long love letter to the beauty of Kyoto with lots of painless cultural exposition. Pico's writings about Japan and Kyoto are def Gamma-specific.

Go to Mount Koyasan. It's the Luang Prubang of Japan. We booked a room next to the sacred Cedar forest grave yard. We had to sign a form promising not to have sex in our room. We were too close to the grave yard. Also, explained the desk clerk, the maid was his mom.

My other Mount Koyasan takeaway is that sake made by monks is worth the upcharge.

I stayed for a couple of months at The GreenPeace Guesthouse -which I think is still in biz. They had a famous sign in the shared bathroom: No Flushing After Midnight. And then below it was appended: Unless It's A Really Big One.

Edited by Prubangboy
  • Haha 1

The BIG question is... 

Would it be possible to keep your Wormhole open, if you were to be a time traveler? 

If you were to read the book, From Eternity to Here, then you might know. 

Additionally, Sean speaks to the question of Free Will. 

In other words, why am I now in Kyoto, instead of Thailand? 

Also, Sean elucidates the importance of LIGHT CONES as we traverse SPACETIME, from the moment we are born. 

He talks about the Time Arrow.... 

Concerning the Arrow of Time, Japanese culture is now something of the past. 

These days, Japanese culture has been replaced by concrete. 

And so, once a country has lost its culture, then why would young people wish to procreate? 

Maybe this is why the testes of young Japanese continue to shrivel. 

• Love It 1

2 minutes ago, a3tsw said:

I have arrived in Otaru , Hokkaido , Japan yesterday from Phuket , today is a National holiday , there are many people out in the parks and hiking on the trails as the weather is glorious and the trees are a multiple of colours as the leaves begin to fall. You need to ditch the books and venture outdoors if you wish to meet your dream companion..Good Luck.

Sure. 

The young Japanese might be hiking. 

However, would it not be better if they were procreating? 

How hard can it be? 

Even Missionary Style... 

5 hours ago, GammaGlobulin said:

The BIG question is... 

No, the BIG question is why didn't you just head back to Iowa?

Why are you quoting Shakespeare and Stephen Hawking after just landing in a new country? What does it have to do with Japan?

You're too lost in the pseudo-intellectual stirrings of every book you ever read in your life to be able to appreciate Japan. 

Edited by save the frogs

5 hours ago, GammaGlobulin said:

Sure. 

The young Japanese might be hiking. 

However, would it not be better if they were procreating? 

How hard can it be? 

Even Missionary Style... 

Are you in Kyoto and you're wasting your time behind your book, but don't you see those wonderful girls you can meet waiting for you if you come out of your shell?

And so you can help Japan raise the average born.

Japan thank you.