Please Help To Find A Driver

MakichGak

Any friendly advice is very appreciated.

I'm already 77 and have had a disastrous sense for the last two months that I can't drive my auto and can't manage my foot on the car's speed and brake pedals. I am filled with dread and uncertainty, as if I 'have forgotten' how to drive after many years of driving, often in extreme situations such as being inebriated, at night, or at very high speed.
Motorbikes aren't comfy for my non-Apollo body; Grab and others aren't practical for frequent use because getting from my Pattaya home to areas I need to travel isn't inexpensive. 

I want to employ a driver for a few hours, 2-3 times per week, to work on my car, and I want to pay him not on a regular basis but for each time he works.
Perhaps someone else has had a similar need to employ a driver for irregular work?

Where do you look for them?

IF wanting a driver, you have to be prepared to pay approx 15,000 baht per month for 'office hours'... and then, most drivers want the kind of job where they took people to and from the office. 

Otherwise a 'full time driver' for odd hours etc is closes to 25,000 baht (which is what some people I know pay, for the School run & running the Wife around).

Securing someone reliable for a few hours 2-3 times per week is going to be extremely difficult.

Do you live in a house as well ???... If so, perhaps considering offering the package of a 'handman - gardener - driver' type arranegment where you can place someone on a salary that my look more attractive to them.

We tried to get a driver in Bangkok a few years back...  we were unsuccessful, every driver spoke with wanted the 'driver for a corporate' type (drive to an office and hang around all day to drive back).

• Like 1

12 minutes ago, georgegeorgia said:

You may be able to find a farang in your Condo building who is retired that is available

Whilst technically I guess it's illegal to work for money I'm sure there is fine who will do it for a bottle or two 

Good idea, find a dirty farang in the cheapest cheap Charlie bar and pose the question

• Sad 1
  • Haha 2

1 hour ago, MakichGak said:

from my Pattaya home to areas I need to travel isn't inexpensive

Ah, so you want someone to subsidize already low fares even further?  Any business owner will tell you that the days of coolie labour prices are over.  The gall of this post.

Sell the car and use the proceeds to cover future taxi expenses.  Problem solved.  

• Like 1
  • Sad 2

15 hours ago, Crossy said:

Yeah ^^^, my thoughts exactly 😞 

Have a word with your local bike-taxi chaps, many if not all can drive a car and will be more than happy for some sort of semi-regular work.

You may even be able to put together an on-call "team" who can assist on an as-and-when basis.

I would imagine some sort of "retainer" payment would be required.

Any neighbours who seem to be home all day?

Good advice

As an add on, why not just use " grab " or " Bolt "

OK ! You need a smart phone, but once somebody has shown you how to use the Services its so easy

I say these Companies because the price for your Journey is given before you ride, so you will not be taken advantage of being an older Gentleman

17 hours ago, MakichGak said:

I'm already 77 and have had a disastrous sense for the last two months that I can't drive my auto and can't manage my foot on the car's speed and brake pedals. I am filled with dread and uncertainty, as if I 'have forgotten' how to drive after many years of driving, often in extreme situations such as being inebriated, at night, or at very high speed.

Get of the road! As suggested sell the car. before you kill someone. Is this really a serious post?

Why not change the headline to I'm a drunk driver who speeds.

• Sad 1
  • Haha 1

I get only a little help from my son on this, but I know there is an app (my son says Grab) to where you can call and have someone drive your vehicle home when you are under the influence (or just don't want to drive yourself). Those 'spare' drivers are who you should target for the temporary type work you are describing. (or at least that's what I think)...

31 minutes ago, MakichGak said:

WebGuy,I live in Pattaya,Najomtien.Can he come from Nonthabury?

If ok,please tell how to send DM [and what is it?].

Thank you.

You realise that's at least a 5-6 hour round trip for him, plus your 2-3 hours of usage. So you getting into paying him at least for 9 hours a day, plus his car gas/running costs to get to you. Costly.

• Haha 1

51 minutes ago, MakichGak said:

WebGuy,I live in Pattaya,Najomtien.Can he come from Nonthabury?

If ok,please tell how to send DM [and what is it?].

Thank you.

I think he can but I guess it wouldn't be worth paying so much as he would need to travel quite a lot and he wouldn't do it for free.

He is my neighbor and by surprise a very diligent guy when comparing with locals. He keeps his word and comes to help me if I need to move some heavy stuff around my house. He and his wife run a shop and he drives for Grab in the evenings but also has some private tours. I remember he once told me he preferred to drive longer trips but not the short ones in the city because driving in the city is a huge hassle for small money.

If you are still interested, let me know here and I will send you a message as there is a direct message option on this forum. Three of us can meet online and you estimate if there is a value for you as well as for him.