What’s more expensive in Thailand

Finspin

I’m coming to Thailand in December for 3 months as an experiment,  to see if I can live permanently on retirement later in 2024.

I was thinking about what I need to bring with me, apart from the usual.

I’m aware that foreign cars and wine are more expensive in Thailand than the UK.

My previous travels to LOS has told me that the cost of living is generally cheaper

but are there any everyday products that are more expensive and I would do well to bring them with me from the UK

Many thanks in advance 

With regard to electronics - TV's etc. just about everything I can buy in Thailand is cheaper in the UK.  That said, there are some really cheap prices for some goods on Lazada but I've had mixed experiences with quailty on them. There's a lot of fakes on there too.

Food, when bought at supermarkets is much more expensive in Thailand.  Baked beans for example Ayams, a Thai brand are 75 to 90 baht per tin in Thailand whereas decent beans in the UK are less than 25 baht. Milk, bread - well up, cheese - crazy. That said, veg and meat can be bought cheaply at local markets as long as you don't mind flies walking all over them/low quality cuts. Interestingly though, food in the UK is much cheaper than it is in most of Europe.

Food at restaurants - way cheaper in Thailand.

Beer - much cheaper in Thailand.

Trainiers - I just bought a good quality pair in the UK for less than 900 baht. Unbranded/unknown trainers can be bought for less than 500 baht in Thailand but the ones I looked at didn't look like they would last 5 minutes.  In fairness though, I bought my trainers at the discounter TK Maxx where I buy most of my clothes/shoes. There may be an equivalent in Thailand that I am yet to find.

Flights back to the UK - always more expensive BKK-UK-BKK than UK-BKK-UK.

Labour, Car Parts, DIY materials - usually much cheaper in Thailand.

Petrol/Diesel - much cheaper in Thailand.

I used to find that everything was cheaper in Thailand - that's changed now, especially for food. A weekly trip to Tesco (Lotus's) probably costs me 10-20% more in Thailand than it would in the UK.

• Thumbs Up 1

What is the point of this tread? We all know that imported stuff is more expansive. He can't bring a barrel of wine just 2liters? I guess food like cheese will be taken of him on entry he will not bring a car. And did not ask how much sex cost. He asks just for a few months. So, don't confuse him 

• Haha 1

1 hour ago, MangoKorat said:

With regard to electronics - TV's etc. just about everything I can buy in Thailand is cheaper in the UK.  That said, there are some really cheap prices for some goods on Lazada but I've had mixed experiences with quailty on them. There's a lot of fakes on there too.

Food, when bought at supermarkets is much more expensive in Thailand.  Baked beans for example Ayams, a Thai brand are 75 to 90 baht per tin in Thailand whereas decent beans in the UK are less than 25 baht. Milk, bread - well up, cheese - crazy. That said, veg and meat can be bought cheaply at local markets as long as you don't mind flies walking all over them/low quality cuts. Interestingly though, food in the UK is much cheaper than it is in most of Europe.

Food at restaurants - way cheaper in Thailand.

Beer - much cheaper in Thailand.

Trainiers - I just bought a good quality pair in the UK for less than 900 baht. Unbranded/unknown trainers can be bought for less than 500 baht in Thailand but the ones I looked at didn't look like they would last 5 minutes.  In fairness though, I bought my trainers at the discounter TK Maxx where I buy most of my clothes/shoes. There may be an equivalent in Thailand that I am yet to find.

Flights back to the UK - always more expensive BKK-UK-BKK than UK-BKK-UK.

Labour, Car Parts, DIY materials - usually much cheaper in Thailand.

Petrol/Diesel - much cheaper in Thailand.

I used to find that everything was cheaper in Thailand - that's changed now, especially for food. A weekly trip to Tesco (Lotus's) probably costs me 10-20% more in Thailand than it would in the UK.

Ayam Brand is a Singaporean multinational. Ayam means chicken in Malay in case you didn't know.

My favourite type of chicken is "ayam malam". Anyone who's spent any time in Indonesia should know what that means 😉

• Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Thank you everyone,

My previous trips were never longer than 4 weeks, so brought enough to cover my basic needs. Toiletries will means a trip to Boots for shaving products and sunscreen, and maybe a new pair of trainers I’m size 12 Uk although I’m guessing most of the time I’ll be in sandals or flip flops.

• Like 1

Gone are the good ole days when westerners loved comming to get quality tailored apparel in Bangkok. Today, the prices are usually higher in Bangkok all the way down to Phuket. Hua Hin is the worst with high prices and very average quality and workmanship. All depends on individual standards. Some people will jump in glee and pose for the Google photo with the thumbs up for rubbish and others will not.

33 minutes ago, Lemsta69 said:

Ayam Brand is a Singaporean multinational

That it may well be but the address on the tin is in Bangkok so I doubt they are subject to import tax. Other imported products are marked as such and some have tax stickers on them - no idea if that's a requirement.