BYD Seal tips, tricks and help

macahoom

19 hours ago, macahoom said:

I didn't see such an option, but I'll check tomorrow. Finding stuff is definitely not as simple as I would like it to be.

I have just come home after driving in the dark. The display changes automatically to it's nighttime mode and it's very easy to read.

I have got the answer for you "macahoom" as there is an old Ford Prefect 100E going cheap not far from me and with this car you don't have to worry about the newfangled electrics, because it hardly has any! And just so that the battery lasts longer, the windscreen wipers are operated off the inlet manifold, and not the battery!!!

Good luck old chap.

My girlfriend has just told me that, 2 minutes ago, someone posted on the Thai language Seal Facebook and said that there is new firmware which allows the ice cream van and wind whistling through the haunted house sounds to be turned off.

I have no idea what “firmware” means, but bring it on!

39 minutes ago, xylophone said:

I have got the answer for you "macahoom" as there is an old Ford Prefect 100E going cheap not far from me and with this car you don't have to worry about the newfangled electrics, because it hardly has any! And just so that the battery lasts longer, the windscreen wipers are operated off the inlet manifold, and not the battery!!!

Good luck old chap.

Thanks, Xylophone me old mate, but I've already got one of those Fords.

The wipers are fantastic - the slower you go, the faster the wipers wipe. Amazing, cutting-edge technology.

• Haha 2

Just now, macahoom said:

Thanks, Xylophone me old mate, but I've already got one of those Fords.

The wipers are fantastic - the slower you go, the faster the wipers wipe. Amazing, cutting-edge technology.

My pleasure my good friend!! 

PS. Hope you have got it sorted?

PPS. I will be sticking with my Suzuki Swift until I pop my clogs!

• Haha 1

6 hours ago, JBChiangRai said:

I posted this elsewhere, but it should really be here.

The Seal comes with one NFC card that opens the door and starts the car.  If you buy a second card, can they be programmed so card 1 restores the seat to memory position 1 and card 2 does the same but for memory position 2?

This would make so much sense for anyone who has someone else in their family who will sometimes be driving the car.

And assuming the NFC card costs the same as for the Atto the cost of a NFC card is Bt10,000.   When we picked up our Atto on 25 Oct when the dealership gave us the two electronic keys and one NFC they made a point that if we were to lose the NFC card and wanted a replacement the cost would be Bt10K.   

• Confused 1

19 minutes ago, Pib said:

And assuming the NFC card costs the same as for the Atto the cost of a NFC card is Bt10,000.   When we picked up our Atto on 25 Oct when the dealership gave us the two electronic keys and one NFC they made a point that if we were to lose the NFC card and wanted a replacement the cost would be Bt10K.   

My dealer told me 500 baht

• Haha 1

18 minutes ago, JBChiangRai said:

My dealer told me 500 baht

I'm going ask again when visiting the dealership but the salesgirl "stressed" a replacement NFC card would cost Bt10K....be sure not to lose it.    I was somewhat shocked by the price but didn't really care as I planned to tuck it away in my safe and just use the two electronic keys.   Plus I knew getting a replacement electronic key from a dealership is expensive...and basically a NFC card is similar to the electronic key especially since it would allow a bad guy to start and drive away your car.   For example, a little bit of googling regarding a replacement electronic key cost showed Toyota charges around $200 to $350....."maybe", repeat, maybe a replacement NFC card might cost about the same if Toyota used NFC cards.    Haven't been able to google anything up regarding replacement NFC cards costs.    Yes, I will ask the dealership again when I visit.

image.png.72afa3d50e9526c7ea281b6f0fbcca29.png

Edited by Pib

3 hours ago, Pib said:

The whole idea is to clone the NFC card onto your phone, encryption and all. There are 3rd party apps for this, I just have not had the urge to get my lazy bum into gear for this.

Found this on a Chinese site. I hope we don't have to wait too long until we get all the goodies activated as well, but it might just be too much for BYD - they open new dealer networks almost weekly all over Europe and South America, its a hell of a rapid expansion.

Could contain:

• Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

On my MG HS PHEV I spent ฿9,000 on Hi Kool Ceramic Black Edition on all windows and the sunroof  - my BYD dealer quoting ฿7,500 for the same on the smaller Seal.

IMG_2601.jpeg.95250103baa5e8be5110b08f36c5017e.jpeg

Was it a good investment? 

Even on a cloudy day the glass temperature was 55C

20230515_034515765_iOS.thumb.jpeg.099f6f0f12d552bcd8986c2b99809634.jpeg

I added foil coated foam between the sun blind and the glass

20230515_034445235_iOS.thumb.jpeg.bb3d6a272397a112e7ac88d7c5ac46f2.jpeg

20230515_034519801_iOS.thumb.jpeg.130e8bc40f3aa0d58b94134fbb37209e.jpeg

So for now I have added no film to the car at all. I will be testing the car and will report back my findings. The active cooled seats make a big difference and we have found that when the sun goes in we are reaching for the off button.

Edited by Bandersnatch
  • Thumbs Up 1

36 minutes ago, Bandersnatch said:

On my MG HS PHEV I spent ฿9,000 on Hi Kool Ceramic Black Edition on all windows and the sunroof  - my BYD dealer quoting ฿7,500 for the same on the smaller Seal.

IMG_2601.jpeg.95250103baa5e8be5110b08f36c5017e.jpeg

Was it a good investment? 

Even on a cloudy day the glass temperature was 55C

20230515_034515765_iOS.thumb.jpeg.099f6f0f12d552bcd8986c2b99809634.jpeg

I added foil coated foam between the sun blind and the glass

20230515_034445235_iOS.thumb.jpeg.bb3d6a272397a112e7ac88d7c5ac46f2.jpeg

20230515_034519801_iOS.thumb.jpeg.130e8bc40f3aa0d58b94134fbb37209e.jpeg

So for now I have added no film to the car at all. I will be testing the car and will report back my findings. The active cooled seats make a big difference and we have found that when the sun goes in we are reaching for the off button.

yes, film on the Seal will be paramount with that huge glass roof unless you go for putting the sun shade up there.

I offered the sun shade up to the light and it seems quite see through , kind of like the shade on my MG yet the shade on my Jolion is quite opaque and does a good job.

Personally I will try to find a good film for the glass roof as it is a beautiful feature and a shame to cover it up although like the sunroof in my last two cars once the novelty had worn off they remained covered up and forgotten.

In two minds about the glass roof of the Seal , it’s a beautiful part of the car but quite possibly will be covered.

Looking through the FB groups to see if any recommendations for film pop up.

• Like 1

17 minutes ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

yes, film on the Seal will be paramount with that huge glass roof unless you go for putting the sun shade up there.

I offered the sun shade up to the light and it seems quite see through , kind of like the shade on my MG yet the shade on my Jolion is quite opaque and does a good job.

Personally I will try to find a good film for the glass roof as it is a beautiful feature and a shame to cover it up although like the sunroof in my last two cars once the novelty had worn off they remained covered up and forgotten.

In two minds about the glass roof of the Seal , it’s a beautiful part of the car but quite possibly will be covered.

Looking through the FB groups to see if any recommendations for film pop up.

We have been driving the Seal for 2 days with no film at all and not too hot

• Thumbs Up 1

8 minutes ago, Bandersnatch said:

On the test drive, I found the glass roof blocks out almost all of the sun's infra-red radiation.  But the roof panel absorbs them and gets hot unless the car is moving then the breeze over the roof keeps it close to ambient temperature.

Ideally, any film should be reflective and installed on the outside to prevent the glass from absorbing the heat.  I don't know whether it's available, it's more likely to be a wrap than anything else, perhaps a chrome wrap would both reflect the sun and allow you to see through it.  It might be worth checking a car wrap shop and see if you can look through the wrap from the back.

I am told the black roof on the MG4 is actually a vinyl wrap.

Edited by JBChiangRai
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, Bandersnatch said:

We find the exact opposite (with film), certainly a couple of days ago when it was hot and very sunny.

It’s the same on the Thai Seal Facebook. Lots of folk report it’s hot, lots report it’s not.

Strange!

Edited by macahoom
  • Like 1

6 minutes ago, Bandersnatch said:

Would be interesting to find out how much the supplied sun shade reduces the temperature and whether a foil backed layer in between reduced it significantly. ( not fitted just held up there )

If only we knew someone with a temp laser thingy 🤔

Haven’t seen the sun shade in position completely with all its clips etc but it does look very good.

One thing is for sure the sun shade isn’t a temporary measure, once its up i would imagine its staying up .

• Haha 1

Just now, Andrew Dwyer said:

Would be interesting to find out how much the supplied sun shade reduces the temperature and whether a foil backed layer in between reduced it significantly. ( not fitted just held up there )

If only we knew someone with a temp laser thingy 🤔

Haven’t seen the sun shade in position completely with all its clips etc but it does look very good.

One thing is for sure the sun shade isn’t a temporary measure, once its up i would imagine its staying up .

I'm going to fit mine as soon as I have the cameras installed.

• Thumbs Up 2

1 minute ago, Andrew Dwyer said:

How much is the “ fitting the sun shade “ video ?

Unfortunately, my conscience won't allow me to charge you for that as I have already found a video of some guy doing it.

I'll post it here for free. Coming up.

• Thanks 1

14 minutes ago, macahoom said:

Video for installing sunshade. You can have English subtitles if they are not already visible.

Sunshade bit begins at 13:12.

Thanks, seen that video before and watching it the second time it seems like it is not as difficult to fit as I first thought.

• Thumbs Up 1

Just realised:

Only the Performance has ITAC, so, this may mean the two lesser models may not have an ITAC page.

If that is the case, there are other ways to identify your software version but I have no time at the moment to work it out.

No doubt, Bandersnatch will provide software IDs to make it easy?

13 minutes ago, Bandersnatch said:

IMG_2571.thumb.jpeg.c27560f7b597939602884aeb4b23ac86.jpeg

Installation should be completed by a trained professional using the appropriate plastic trim tools.

IMG_2575.thumb.jpeg.13e2ddd6b8129135d2daeb95809a8f21.jpeg

under no circumstances should the installation be attempted by an amateur with a plastic putty spatula 

IMG_2574.thumb.jpeg.1a1fa11c679be29701a65cfee5080250.jpeg

I figured that this would be a “one time use “ type of deal so went cheap

IMG_1649.thumb.jpeg.734ae69aa072503b72e7b3c292b4eb27.jpeg

although I did “ splash out “ by buying 2 for 12 baht instead of 1 for 9 baht !!

Doubt if I will be diying any additional dash cams though, airbags in the A pillars have scared me off.

• Thumbs Up 1