Gas-operated BB guns

cliveshep

Question - for those of us possessing those gas operated BB guns that shoot plastic balls - are they still legal or are the Thai Police likely to come round after us? We got them in our place and at around 8000 baht each don't want them seized just because some kid got around the laws to buy a live fire blank pistol and real bullets and killed people. Soldiers and police officers often go off the rails and go on shooting sprees but until now they leave citizens alone but t he current wave of raids and mass seizures is quite worrying if the toys are still legal. RTP: are very much a law unto themselves at times but what does current law actually say?

Edited by metisdead
Derogatory comment to the Thai Police edited out.
  • Like 1

Normal metal pellet .177 / .22 airguns need a  firearms  permit in Thailand .thats definite

..  the bb plastic or metal replica guns ,  are a grey area ,, lots on sale are they legal,, not really  ,, even archery equipment  is questionable outside of legal regulated clubs ,,, 

As usual Thailand laws are confusing

• Like 2

54 minutes ago, richard_smith237 said:

Why would an adult want to have one of these things ???

Small Willy syndrome ??? 

I have two air pistols and ALWAYS bring one whenever I ride my pushbike to deter feral beasts aka soi dogs. I DO carry it in a basket in the front and always place a rag on top for the very reason OP is asking. Try as I might, I could never find a definitive answer to whether or not they are legal.

Thai laws - clear as mud.

• Like 1
  • Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Just to add my experience/ I had one, went into the local Cop shop with it.

Answer: do what you like but DONT carry it in public, it could be mistaken easily and you could be SHOT !

On your own premesis, transporting in your vehicle from A-B in its box.OK

Thats MY experience and what I was told by the local BiB

And before someone chimes in with why, I used it to fire at birds roosting in the eaves of a building, until I discovered a laser pen worked better.

Tip: Go see your local Cops, as there is rarely consistency and its them likely to come at you if wrong, ask them ! Get it from the horses mouth so to speak.

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

Some inflammatory posts and replies have been removed.  

The OP has been edited to remove a derogatory reference toward the Thai Police:

14. You will not post slurs, degrading or overly negative comments directed towards Thailand, Thai people, Thai culture, Thai institutions such as the military, judicial or law enforcement system or specific locations within Thailand.

On 11/3/2023 at 2:02 PM, HappyExpat57 said:

I have two air pistols and ALWAYS bring one whenever I ride my pushbike to deter feral beasts aka soi dogs. I DO carry it in a basket in the front and always place a rag on top for the very reason OP is asking. Try as I might, I could never find a definitive answer to whether or not they are legal.

They are classed as firearms and carrying them around in public as you describe definitely is illegal.  

22 hours ago, Foek said:

You mean 6mm Airsoft i think ?

Of course they are 6mm airsoft but they are badged as Beretta 9mm parabellum because they are replicas of the real ones, and they are good replicas as I know from shooting the real ones on the police range in the Phils. Even strip the same although once the slide/barrel is off then the differences are clear.

17 hours ago, HappyExpat57 said:
17 hours ago, Liverpool Lou said:

They are classed as firearms and carrying them around in public as you describe definitely is illegal.  

I believe you speak out your anal orifice.

At least it is an anal orifice that is correct in this instance and it's interesting that you, so easily, recognise emanations from that area. Carrying them in public (without a licence, obviously) is illegal.

30 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

At least it is an anal orifice that is correct in this instance and it's interesting that you, so easily, recognize emanations from that area. Carrying them in public (without a license, obviously) is illegal.

Again, your anal orifice off gasses without anything to back it up. PROVE me wrong, please.

1 minute ago, Liverpool Lou said:

Easy enough for you to check for yourself, carrying BB/air guns in public is illegal, as numerous sources will confirm.

You really are being thick here. From the START of this thread, no one has been able to provide definitive proof for or against the legality. That's what we've all been discussing, it's the very point of this thread - proof, not armchair experts professing their knowledge based on nothing.

Last time I'm engaging on this: provide even ONE of your "numerous sources" or let it go.

6 minutes ago, HappyExpat57 said:

Last time I'm engaging on this: provide even ONE of your "numerous sources" or let it go.

Google...for a start.

Of course, it'll be the last time that you engage on this (for obvious reasons) and I'm happy to let it go.  You let us know when you find anything that states that "carrying an air gun in public in Thailand is legal".

• Haha 1

41 minutes ago, proton said:

Is there anything legal you can kill rats etc with?

Rocks. Well, if you have a large willey.  It seems guys with large willeys can't shoot as they never have had any practice.

Small willey guys use pellet guns.  Me?  I have a medium willey so I use cats.  👍

• Haha 1

55 minutes ago, HappyExpat57 said:

You really are being thick here. From the START of this thread, no one has been able to provide definitive proof for or against the legality. That's what we've all been discussing, it's the very point of this thread - proof, not armchair experts professing their knowledge based on nothing.

Here's reality.  How many times have your heard of a farang (or Thai) being arrested for possession of a BB gun?  Personally I haven't.
A real hand-gun?  Plenty.  The hand gun arrests generally happen when someone is carrying in public or actually uses it to shoot someone but doesn't have a government permit to own it.

So go with the flow.  if you have a freaking BB gun?  Stop fretting about it and enjoy your target practice.  And don't shoot anybody.

I could not get rid of those bloody pigeons which were infesting the roof of our house, waking me up in the morning with their terrible sounds and <deleted>ting everywhere.

Throwing my shoes after them didn't make them go away.

Even a pressure washer didn't help but at least I got my shoes back.

So, I got myself a BB gun from a hidden shop in Chonburi and the owner, former police officer, instructed me to shoot at their wings from the side not at their bellies or heads so they will definitely feel it but no harm or injury caused and the whole pigeon family will leave very soon.

I said, if one pigeon family disappears the next will come to take their place, but he answered, don't worry, the first group will tell the others and within a few days you won't see any pigeons on your roof.

To be honest, this made me doubt his mental health a bit but at the end he was right. Go figure.

However, I asked him about the legal situation, as I did not feel comfortable with those guns looking like the real ones plus as a foreigner living and working in Thailand you better do not get involved in any illegal activities.

He clearly answered me, not to carry them around and not to use them outside my property. In case I bring that gun to his place for a check or repair I should transport the gun and the magazine separately.

As long as I use them only on my property to scare away pigeons, dogs or cats always making sure not to accidentally hit a person and only use the plastic pellets, it is according to the law.

Using metal pellets is prohibited same as modifying that gun to use real ammunition.

Oh, before I forget it, I haven't noticed any significant changes to my Willy since I bought that gun.

• Love It 1
  • Thumbs Up 1