overstay problem

51 minutes ago, Nick Carter icp said:

Say, if you had a child here at school who was born in Thailand to a non Thai mother and the child couldn't get Thai citizenship and you were unable to take your Child out of Thailand . 

The Mother then moved on and didn't want to take care of the child , so you were unable to get a long term visa or stay in Thailand . 

So you would have the option of either overstaying or putting your Child in a orphanage and then leaving Thailand .

I would overstay in that situation 

So say you will have a child with someone but don't think about how to take care of it and how to stay legally in the country, very responsible behavior. Grow up before you take any kids.

• Thanks 1

37 minutes ago, vangrop said:

How they would know man, do you think their databases are so accorate or updated? I really doubt about it. I would give it a try, and worst case they refuse could you entry. And don't forget you earned 20.000 baht!

Their databases are updated, you don't save 20K. You think you won't have issues leaving that other country without an entry stamp?

Edited by FritsSikkink
  • Like 1

4 minutes ago, FritsSikkink said:

So say you will have a child with someone but don't think about how to take care of it and how to stay legally in the country, very responsible behavior. Grow up before you take any kids.

They have changed the visa rules since the child was born  , previously you could stay forever in Thailand on visa exempts and they were not limited .

• Confused 1
  • Thanks 1

12 hours ago, VinnieK said:

Two terrible things happening here 

He overstayed and  fell in love..

Good grief.

It's not with a prostitute, is it?🤦‍♂️

I bet he will soldier on until be gets caught.

They're all "hooks". One way or another, they always charge. Every single one, everywhere, without question...there's always a price. 🤣

• Sad 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

23 minutes ago, novacova said:

Enter the United States with a 6 month visa and over stay 1 day = banned for life.

If true, that would be a most ridiculous inhumane rule as people could be on overstay because in hospital.

Thankfully Google tells me US gives 3 year ban for overstay between 180 days and 1 year and 10 year ban for overstay > 1 year

• Like 2

9 hours ago, Caldera said:

During your ban, if you attempt to board a plane to Thailand, the airline will get a "do not board" message via APIS.

There have been a few reports of people denied boarding after their ban was supposed to have ended, presumably because the end date was entered wrong in immigration's system. It's not "near impossible" to get that fixed if it happens, but not necessarily cheap.

”not necessarily cheap.” Who are you supposed to pay in Thai to get off a list you should not be on after ban is over?

3 hours ago, vinci said:

sometimes a lawyer can do miracles if at the right price

Yes, of course.

And the price for this infraction would be around 1 million baht.

If you think I am exaggerating, you need to think about all the people that will need to be paid (off).

• Confused 1

3 minutes ago, Celsius said:

Yes, of course.

And the price for this infraction would be around 1 million baht.

If you think I am exaggerating, you need to think about all the people that will need to be paid (off).

The friend or you are low on funds so any bribe is going to be hard. If you do want to go the bribe route with a lawyer you will have to do this by turning yourself in. The IO's at the airport are not going to be doing anything for you at all. 

Sadly the bed has been made, now you have to sleep in it. 

2 hours ago, VinnieK said:

I have done the Malaysian border thing as many as 100 times over the years.

It was my typical visa extension thing til 2004 when they restricted it.

You can only do 2 runs per year these days.

Also .a bribe is expected when back in Thailand.

I repeat..the guy is broke and using whatever little money he has for food etc 

Visa runs are a luxury if you are in such a predicament 

I'm sorry.

Tell me again why he's away from his home country safety net?

46 minutes ago, Captain Monday said:

”not necessarily cheap.” Who are you supposed to pay in Thai to get off a list you should not be on after ban is over?

Well your first problem is that you miss your flight that you aren't allowed to board, which could cost anything from 1,000 baht to a few hundred thousand baht. I don't see how you could claim that money back from Thai immigration, even if it's due to a mistake they made when entering the data.

Then you'll most likely need to engage a Thai lawyer to get the problem fixed with immigration. You will be paying that lawyer, never mind that it isn't your fault.

No idea how often this actually happens, it's certainly not something I've seen reported more than a few times.

I’d reckon once a name is put on a no fly list there is no end date regardless when ban ends it is up to some entity to take it off.  Problem in the US, where many people have problems simply because of similar names. They have a redress number system to prevent false arrests.

And what if your name is Mohammed Omar or something? The warlord or the noted musician who received a Fullbright grant to teach at the University of Washington. You are never getting off the list.

https://trip.dhs.gov/s/faq-page?language=en_US#:~:text=Redress Control Number - A Redress,reservations with an air carrier.

Edited by Captain Monday

1 hour ago, NoDisplayName said:

Tell me again why he's away from his home country safety net?

He’s in Ruv… or Luv or something…..  the friend should ask if someone can help him with 1/2 decent meals for his stay in big house..

Sorry joking but I couldn’t pass up the opportunity…

Edited by DJ54
Add
  • Haha 1

Just now, NoDisplayName said:

In that case, Shirley, the OP, would have mentioned that very important fact.

Why would they have mentioned it?

Why is it important? What difference does it make to getting an answer to his question?

Edited by JayClay

(Very busy right now. Have not read the complete thread)

Leaving via either Bangkok airport, the chance of a ban is virtually 100%, no matter what excuses he tries to make.

If he is seriously wealthy, there are fixers who can make problems like this go away. If he contacts an established agent, although they will not handle this themselves, they can probably make a referral. Expensive!

The only case I ever heard of like this where someone avoided a ban was a number of years ago leaving via U-Tapao airport. There are not many departure options, and he may well get banned anyway, even leaving through that airport.

Another option could be to simply stay in thailand.

if he gets arrested or caught the ban would be much longer and the fine the same BUT he would remain with his gf and the chances are he would not get caught if he is careful, especially if he is living upcountry and has the support of her family. i don't think they jail you if he is on a much longer overstay, he's just deported with a longer ban.

if that longer ban did occur he could still live in siem reap or something and the gf could travel there and spend half the year with him or whatever the visa allowed is for thai's.

if he simply leaves now he gets a shorter ban, BUT if he's in love that year or two is more important to have now then some future plan of returning. if it worked out they may be able to get married and immigrate to his home country, but if he comes back in a year or two that bonding time is gone and they probably would not just pick up where they left off in terms of how they feel about each other.

Edited by JimTripper
  • Confused 1

4 minutes ago, Chris Daley said:

I got an 11,000 baht find for f all.  Thai girlfriend that works on visas as her job.  Teacher agency with years or experience.  And one of the top ten schools in Bangkok.  So dread to think what he will get.

We already know what penalty he will get if he leaves via the airport, it's been mentioned half a dozen times already! 🤦

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

11 hours ago, Enoon said:

This thread only needed about four posts to be over and done with.

Extraordinary that it has run to 90 replies over 4 pages.

😲

Well one can see the best of humanity coming out of the woodwork and they are trying to be warriors who assume greater moral compasses when commenting on these types of topics.

Edited by freeworld

On 11/2/2023 at 7:12 PM, bbko said:

Did you have contact with him during those 3 years or did he just start contacting you now?  If there was no or very limited contact during those 3 years, and now he needs your money for a plane ticket & overstay fines, I'd be concerned he's trying to scam you.  

The person can start a GoFundMe page. There are enough people in his community to support a flight ticket to his homeland and the maximum fine of 20K instead of rotting in a Thai immigration detention center. 

8 minutes ago, CartagenaWarlock said:

There are enough people in his community to support a flight ticket to his homeland and the maximum fine of 20K instead of rotting in a Thai immigration detention center. 

How do you know that there are enough people in his community?