UK pensioners flock to luxury retirement resorts in Thailand

webfact

1 hour ago, John Drake said:

What sort of visa are they on? The 800,000 in the bank or what?

I'd hope that the facility has someone on call or on staff that helps with immigration issues.  The process would be pretty "cookie cutter" after they have it dialed in.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, foreverlomsak said:

If it is full board and medicines sounds too good to be true 

1,500GPP = 64,500 baht a month even with meds  is expensive in my mind and that is for one person. Plus their government pension will be frozen when they leave the UK.  

• Like 1
  • Confused 1

5 hours ago, webfact said:

British pensioners needing round-the-clock care and those wanting a bit of extra sun are flocking to luxurious retirement resorts in Thailand - where the costs are nearly three times less than in the UK.

Where their pension are forever frozen and soon to be taxed... 

Many retirees may soon be looking for pastures new.

1 hour ago, wensiensheng said:

Tosh. 

my mother is 93 with early dementia and she lives in her own home and has private carers come into her 4 times a day to give her meals, get her dressed and showered etc.

the authorities means tested her and because she has little money, she pays a pittance and the government pays the balance of the private care cost. My sisters husband has a similar arrangement for his elderly parents in a totally different part of the UK.

having said all that, actual health care, as in a doctor or hospital, is in a dire state. On the occasions that my mother has needed more than just a care service, the NHS has been a disaster. The last time she was taken to hospital she lay in an ambulance in the hospital car park for TWO days because there was no bed for her in a ward.

care homes and medical care are two different things.

My mother had dementia (dad too) and she stayed in her own home until she died last year.  She had live in care which cost 1500 quid a week for about 6 years, for the previous 5 years while Dad was alive they had a care agency that came 4 times per day, I believe the cost was about 1000 pounds per week.  

They didn't get any financial assistance because they had plenty of money.

Would have been great if they'd moved out here and just rented out their massive house in the UK, instead of wasting away on their own and spending all that money on care.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, arick said:

They are flocking to Thai resorts   with them having the lowest pensions in Europe or the west???? Hard to believe 

Yeh we know what this article is but aren't allowed to say, if they are "flocking" here then why even mention it, they would be full. This "story" appears at least once a year. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, brianthainess said:

Yeh we know what this article is but aren't allowed to say, if they are "flocking" here then why even mention it, they would be full. This "story" appears at least once a year. 

In fact, it states in the article that they spoke to the owner last year. Perhaps it a rolling advertisement. 

• Thumbs Up 1

Ok, so how long before these folks start to try and change Pattaya and Thailand?  

Let me guess....too much noise.  Too much weed!  Too many bars.  Close early.

Tell them to leave that nightmare back in the UK and do not try to change Thailand to meet their needs.

• Confused 3

1 hour ago, billd766 said:

Then you need to add in 2 retirement visas through Immigration, any transport costs. hire or buy a car, unless the resort has its own fleet of vehicles and drivers.

90 day reports to immigration unless you can do it inline.

Perhaps a pc, tablet etc.

2 mobile smart phones with international connection apps.

If you want English food you can probably order it at the resort, alternatively there are British food shop online.

Medicines, doctors and hospital fees. You will pay farang prices for sure. Not to forget that at their age they will need health insurance, which unless they already have it, and it can be extended. will be expensive and hard to find.

Also, if they are honest and declare that they now live in Thailand, their pension will be frozen.

All little things that I have not seen mentioned in the thread so far.

But the little things add up.

They will have, at least IMO, a better and more comfortable life than in damp and dreary UK. Life will be better for them.

Nowhere does it say 1,500 pounds is for two people. 

• Thumbs Up 1

7 minutes ago, Enoon said:

Yeah, sure UK pensioners are "flocking" to Thailand to pay £1500 a month......with UK State Pension at £883 (taxable) a month.

Typical Daily Mail advertorial BS.

There are people who may have saved for retirement, had other pensions. Not all UK pensioners are scraping by on a state pension.

• Like 1

That is only for the wealthy retirees with lots of money - as pointed out already, because they still have to pay for medications and hospital treatments and clinic visits, plus all those Visa Extensions and Reporting issues. 

IMO marrying a Thai lady (a good one) who will look after you when you get very old/sick (and 90% do) is the best option.

Additionally for much less than the retirement place - you can hire a Thai 'nurse' to come and look after you every day.

I recall pre-Covid that some local Expat was setting up a business where you could hire a nurse - no idea if still going.

• Like 1

41 minutes ago, NextG said:

In fact, it states in the article that they spoke to the owner last year. Perhaps it a rolling advertisement. 

It reads like an advertorial, but I still found it interesting that that kind of facility is available in Thailand, along with a rough estimate of the cost.

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, billd766 said:

Also, if they are honest and declare that they now live in Thailand, their pension will be frozen.

But the little things add up.

They will have, at least IMO, a better and more comfortable life than in damp and dreary UK. Life will be better for them.

Yep. Seeing as the UK retains the triple lock on pensions then the last two year's of state pension increases, awarded in line with post covid inflation rates, have been a welcome boon to British OAPs. However, in 2 years whoever is in government will need to make some nasty decisions about UK pension provisions, especially while we spend billions sending arms to Ukraine and public services and infrastructure is falling apart / overloaded due to lack of investment over the last 20 years.

£1500 / month for full time care is a steal, but it's not the whole cost which the artivcle omits. 

And 'flocking to Thailand', I'd guess no more than 100 retiree couples a year make such a bold move to foreign care, especially against family wishes etc...