Annoying issues with loud smart devices

karl2007

9 minutes ago, karl2007 said:

I do have headset noise canceling which I wear, but that doesn't really help that much.

If they don't work then you'd best upgrade to a proper brand.

I have noise cancelling ear buds and hear nothing when i'm tuning out....

1 hour ago, PJ71 said:

If they don't work then you'd best upgrade to a proper brand.

I have noise cancelling ear buds and hear nothing when i'm tuning out....

what make are they? never found any, or a headset that was anything other than noise reduction

1 hour ago, connda said:

Make sure to bring your Bluetooth speaker with you so you can drown out their puny little smartphone speakers.

Not exactly a solution unless i want to be even more irritating to others and possibly turn the entire pool area into a contest as to who has the biggest boom box. 

1 hour ago, proton said:
2 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Not just in Thailand…

Ignorant ahold are all around us… 

… it’s usually a fat lobby pig of a guy who behaves like this… 

Not in Japan, they are more civilised 

Very true.... I visit Japan a lot and the degree of social consideration and conformity there is exceptionally high. 

What the Op has described I witness regularly... Particularly in the Middle East... 

It could be a goverment office waiting room, or the airport departure lounge and there's always one guy (*its always a guy) who's watching a video on their phone without any consideration for anyone else. 

I've seen the same thing in Thailand... in a hospital waiting room etc.

The worse place I've seen such ignorance is on a plane..  a guy sits there watching a video on his phone... those around him have look of incredulity on their face...  'w.tf...How can this person not know he is disturbing others' !!! 

My father in-law does it at our house...  MiL & FiL pop round regularly, he sits there watching stuff on his phone and I have to nudge the wife to get him to turn it down....  he has no idea of the disturbance to anyone else. 

Edited by richard_smith237
  • Like 1

OP I though I was the only one who was annoyed by this. 

The other day I was at a relaxing small cafe / restaurant. The place was playing lovely ambient chill out / spa music and it was in a relaxing quiet setting in beautiful gardens. 

Then a guy came in, sat down at a table next to us (when there were many more tables available), and proceed to have an endless hands free loud conversation with someone on his phone for the entire time we were there, even while eating his food...spitting out his food and coughing bexaie he was talking and eating at the same time lol. 

We moved tables to be far away from him, but could still hear him.  Shortly after another couple came in.  They both were listeninflg to endless tiktok memes and funny clips on speaker.  They never spoke to each other the entire time, just watched their phones. 

So the noise of the first guy blabbering on, and the funny sound effects and music from the other people's phones, all clashing with the music that the restaurant was playing was finally enough for me and we left. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, richard_smith237 said:

Very true.... I visit Japan a lot and the degree of social consideration and conformity there is exceptionally high. 

Social consideration in Japan has arisen from special circumstances. Given the lack of free personal space most of us take for granted, the alternative to good manners would be a vIolent reduction in population size.

There's a lot of repressed anger in Japan. One only has to look at the manga which are openly read on public transport.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Worst location is whilst having a foot massage. The noise from the idiot’s phone speaker (or their voice if on a call) are rarely stopped by shop staff because they are afraid of upsetting their client and not getting a tip. About all you can do is to tell the idiot to shut up or put on/turn up your own headphones, either way you’ve done your dough after paying for an enjoyable, relaxing foot massage. 

• Like 2

Any rational person who purchases an Android immediately changes the standard notification tone to something, anything  less annoying. 

I have noticed more disgusting in an airport business class lounge but nothing more irritating than a  a gormless clod sat up in the lounge texting furiously texting with above on full volume as if totally normal /acceptablle behaviour.  I guess he has a friend somewhere at least.

With the bluetooth speakers many people in US now walk down the street/bicycle playing music, usually loud and of the Hip Hop genre. Nothing against Hip Hop but even noticed airlines now are making announcements to use headphones onboard as Americans obviously have no common sense anymore, if they ever did. T

he debasement of societal norms only seems to get worse.

Edited by Captain Monday

I won't revisit a vendor that has 'noise pollution', no matter how good it is.

So many people raised without manners these days, with no respect of others.

Only defense for some, is they may be a bit older, with hearing issues they don't realize, and don't think it's loud.  I fall in that area sometimes at the house, not realizing it, until wife reminds me - "Loud enough ?".

Whether having a bad hearing day, or I'm drowning out the tinnitus or is that making it worse 😳

• Thumbs Up 1

1 hour ago, Captain Monday said:

Any rational person who purchases an Android immediately changes the standard notification tone to something, anything  less annoying. 

I have noticed more disgusting in an airport business class lounge but nothing more irritating than a  a gormless clod sat up in the lounge texting furiously texting with above on full volume as if totally normal /acceptablle behaviour.  I guess he has a friend somewhere at least.

With the bluetooth speakers many people in US now walk down the street/bicycle playing music, usually loud and of the Hip Hop genre. Nothing against Hip Hop but even noticed airlines now are making announcements to use headphones onboard as Americans obviously have no common sense anymore, if they ever did. T

he debasement of societal norms only seems to get worse.

I was wondering when the anti Yank would appear, and that didn't take long.

• Thanks 1