Retirement visa versus Marriage visa - which is best?

The reason married Visa is 'harder' and why they clamped down on them years ago, is because there is no age requirement, and many 'undesirables' who were under the retirement age, used that method to stay in Thailand.  As soon as they started clamping down, they found lots of marriages were scams. 

• Thanks 1

2 hours ago, TroubleandGrumpy said:

Not so much the amount, but that they force those retired to lock away twice as much as someone that is supporting a Thai wife.

A great post. I agree with every word. Your point I've quoted is a fine example of Thai logic - make the money required for a single person double that for a couple. And let's not forget the other 'logic' of not needing to be retired to get a retirement extension.

I've many times over the years told friends about the immigration rules and they've not believed me. Especially about having to seek permission every year to 'visit' my wife of (now) over 30 years. And who can blame them?

• Sad 1
  • Thanks 1

5 hours ago, lopburi3 said:

Could open a can or worms if that is working money without a work permit however.

Apologies if this is another basic question, but regarding the 'cannot work' on a retirement visa, that means only in relation to Thailand, correct? If you took a 1 month contract in Vietnam or Bangladesh, etc., that's none of their business regarding the visa, correct?

If (as it seems we will) need to file income tax returns in Thailand, then would that 'foreign' income from 'work' outside the country while holding a 'Retirement' visa, get the visa revoked?

39 minutes ago, CartagenaWarlock said:

You can extend your OA retirement without health insurance for an additional bribing. 

All you have to do is exit and return, obtain O visa entry for 2,000 baht from immigration and then extend - there is no need for any bribing anyone (which is not only illegal but idiotic).  

• Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

7 hours ago, JoseThailand said:

I really don't understand why so many people worry about the higher financials for a retirement visa. It can be easily fixed by an agent for just 15,000 baht. And no need to do any paperwork, just show up at immigration once to take a picture.

Some of us like to sleep at night!

• Confused 1
  • Thumbs Up 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, Shop mak said:

Some dislike the yearly home visit done by Imm in some areas

What yearly home visits?  You obviously haven't had marriage extensions spanning a decade.  I have.  One home visit the first year.  One visit after the Erawan Bombing as the Thai government went nuts and thought that all foreigners are terrorist.  In the 15 years I've lived here that's the total number of times I've seen the immigration police in my neighborhood.  Get your facts straight.

• Sad 1
  • Love It 1
  • Thanks 1

10 hours ago, JimGant said:

Or, I guess, your wife's death certificate. Which leads me to say: I believe your marriage extension is good until expiration date after your wife's death. Not sure how that works for divorce.....(?).

On divorce, your extended permission to stay based on marriage immediately ends. You are correct that the permission to stay remains valid in case of your wife's demise, so take care to keep her healthy until you have the confirmed extension in your passport.

59 minutes ago, xn47140 said:

Thai health insurance for the retirement visa not needed anymore? That was a big discusdion two, three years ago?

Health insurance for extensions from a non O-A would be required if based on retirement.

Not required if based on marriage.

Extensions from a Non O do not require insurance based on retirement or marriage. 

17 hours ago, lopburi3 said:

Non immigrant O visa to visit wife far better as you can extend for retirement from that

But the first extension would have to be based on being married, the same as the reason for the issuance of the visa

17 hours ago, Aldo123 said:

and there are other like O for education.

Education visas are Non-Ed not Non-O

19 hours ago, Aldo123 said:

I've always had the marriage visa. For those who have gone down both routes previously, which would you recommend and why, please?

I've had both.

Retirement visa is easy, done and dusted on one application day.

Downside no work permit, more financial requirements.

Marriage visa is more hassle.
30 day under consideration period, duplicate copies of everything, home visit from immigration, return visit to IO office for ext'n stamp.

Less financial requirements, work permit option available.

19 hours ago, Lite Beer said:

Could say the same about Marriage 40,000 a month transfers. Even better.

Always brings a smile to my face ... single retired 65K a month, married 40K. as if you would need less of a budget amount. I switched from retirement to marriage but still transfer in 65K a month as we spend that much per month.

4 minutes ago, wwest5829 said:

Always brings a smile to my face ... single retired 65K a month, married 40K. as if you would need less of a budget amount. I switched from retirement to marriage but still transfer in 65K a month as we spend that much per month.

Most wives probably contribute as well.

Foreign Wives need nothing in the bank meaning that a Thai Husband and foreign wife can live on not a lot.

1 hour ago, siam55 said:

If you have to pay tax on your pension in 2024, the marriage extension will be much more convenient. There is a big difference between 400000 thb or 800000 thb

As many countries have dual tax agreements with Thailand with pensions exempt this should not be an issue for many retired - for those younger and earning income overseas it may be an issue.  But what/when/if/how all seem to be about as firm as the 10,000 baht per Thai bank accounts proposal at this point.

8 hours ago, connda said:

What yearly home visits?  You obviously haven't had marriage extensions spanning a decade.  I have.  One home visit the first year.  One visit after the Erawan Bombing as the Thai government went nuts and thought that all foreigners are terrorist.  In the 15 years I've lived here that's the total number of times I've seen the immigration police in my neighborhood.  Get your facts straight.

Rayong do yearly home visits for marriage extension, if no children

• Thumbs Up 1

Depends on your age...

I started with a Retirement Visa but 'graduated' to a Marriage Visa.

Reason: Health insurance is ridiculous when you pass 70.

A Marriage Visa is more paper work but doable, you need 400,000 in the bank, and dont need health insurance.

The Retirement Visa is less paperwork, but you need 800,000 in the bank and health insurance.

At 74 I am in excellent shape and dont need health insurance.

Edited by Brahmz

14 hours ago, Aldo123 said:

Apologies if this is another basic question, but regarding the 'cannot work' on a retirement visa, that means only in relation to Thailand, correct? If you took a 1 month contract in Vietnam or Bangladesh, etc., that's none of their business regarding the visa, correct?

If (as it seems we will) need to file income tax returns in Thailand, then would that 'foreign' income from 'work' outside the country while holding a 'Retirement' visa, get the visa revoked?

Correct, you can be on an extension based on retirement in Thailand, but work outside of Thailand. That isn't - and has never been - a problem.

• Like 2

I have been on both, I am not wealthy and am self funded when it come to health issues, that is my main reason for now staying on a marriage extension, so my money is not tied up, for a retirement extension. 800,000 baht must stay for 5 months all up, having to worry about not dropping below that for med bills is a no brainer for me. as opposed to 400,000 that is only needed for 2 months of the year for being married. 

21 hours ago, Aldo123 said:

yes, but you know what I mean. I believe the process for the Non-Imm O visas based on either retirement or 'supporting a Thai' are a bit different. So that's what I'm asking. If you could choose either, and for those who have done both, which is better from the individual's POV

I was married but I'd never have gone for the marriage extension option.

Main benefit of retirement option is that after the divorce one can carry on living in LOS without having to change anything.

34 minutes ago, Brahmz said:

Depends on your age...

A Marriage Visa is more paper work but doable, you need 400,000 in the bank, and dont need health insurance.

The Retirement Visa is less paperwork, but you need 800,000 in the bank and health insurance.

One has to be very brave to claim that they will never have a stroke, a heart attack or a serious car accident. Any of which will bankrupt anyone of moderate means.

2 hours ago, siam55 said:

If you have to pay tax on your pension in 2024, the marriage extension will be much more convenient. There is a big difference between 400000 thb or 800000 thb

???????????????/

My retirement extension money was in the bank and stayed there. Are you saying that despite it being in the bank for years before I'd have to pay tax on it every year, despite it not being "earned" each year?

21 hours ago, BritTim said:

the retirement extension is superior in almost every other respect.

Tell that to those that couldn't return under the travel restrictions when those with a marriage extension could.

It is not really the view of expats that count.

BTW Done both and had home visit on retirement.

57 minutes ago, Brahmz said:

Depends on your age...

And you do not need health insurance for retirement extensions of stay from a non immigrant O visa entry or change at immigration from visa exempt/tourist visa entry.  Your entry must have been with an OA visa - need to change to O visa entry.