Overstaying by hours

6 minutes ago, Keeps said:

Even though your passport shows a stamp out departing Thailand? Your stamp is dated. That's extremely harsh if that is the case.

It's not the case. When you stamp through immigration you have effectively left the country and obviously cannot come back in without entering the country again

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1

47 minutes ago, vangrop said:

I don"t understand, I had exactly the same stoty as yours. Except that the IMO stamped my pass with a big smile and no overstay, joking that I was lucky to be right on time at immigration despite my flight was 2 hours later rhe following day.

It happened to me about 20 years ago, so my explanation would be that either the procedure in this regard changed, or that the IOs have discretion to decide this (which would be disturbing).

3 hours ago, StayinThailand2much said:

I guess, for Immigration, you're not 'leaving' the country until your plane departs...

Which is true.

They can't stamp everyone as the plane pushes back so do it in the hours before as people pass through the airport.  They're stil in Thailand though so it makes sense  from that point of view.

• Sad 1

38 minutes ago, StayinThailand2much said:

It happened to me about 20 years ago, so my explanation would be that either the procedure in this regard changed, or that the IOs have discretion to decide this (which would be disturbing).

So now you say it happened to you 20 years ago, after initially stating as fact this is what would happen now. Glad I called you out on your BS

I still call BS for 20 years ago but at least now you can say you can't post proof as no longer have passport

Maybe all the people sad facing my posts calling him out on his BS may delete them now 😆 

Edited by Pattaya57
  • Sad 2
  • Haha 2

6 hours ago, treetops said:

That is 30 days. 20 days in April and 10 in May.

That's correct. Immigration counts days, including fractions of a day, not nights as hotels do. Immigration also does not count hours, minutes and seconds.

It's like the package tours offered by travel agents: 7 days (6 nights)

The way Thai immigration counts days is the same way that immigration of all other countries do.

• Thanks 1
  • Haha 1

1 hour ago, MindfulPresence said:

I've just cleared with immigration, and I received the overstay stamp.

I was not asked to pay the overstay fine.

1699227673574.thumb.jpg.3802daa001730420ae07f22205762714.jpg

Thanks for the update. Did they give you this overstay stamp for less than 24 hours overstay at the regular immigration counter, or did they send you to the overstay desk?

11 hours ago, BritTim said:

If your flight is cancelled, you do not get a fresh permission to stay. Your exit stamp is simply voided.

I would hope not. No-one wants to explain why they have a voided stamp in their passport.

Also, I always leave on last day of permission so if they voided my legal exit stamp they'd be putting me on illegal overstay. Pretty sure they would just give me another visa exempt entry

46 minutes ago, Pattaya57 said:

I would hope not. No-one wants to explain why they have a voided stamp in their passport.

Also, I always leave on last day of permission so if they voided my legal exit stamp they'd be putting me on illegal overstay. Pretty sure they would just give me another visa exempt entry

If your flight is canceled or you don't make it to your gate on time to catch your flight, they won't give you another visa exempt entry.

You're right, if you leave on the last day of your permission to stay, that might well trigger an overstay situation if you don't manage to fly out on that day (for whatever reason).

4 hours ago, Andrew65 said:

I reckon it just depends on what kind of mood the IO is in. Many years ago I was let off with a finger-wagging, probably 12-14 hours after midnight, another time I was fined, so it's hard to say.

It's not hard to say at all. There's a 24 hour grace period at airports but not land borders. As you haven't provided any details it's difficult to know what happened to you.

Hmmm… the thais will do anything to get money thru overstay fines it seems . I got fined  7500 baht for 15 day overstay even though i had a visa extension(deemed to be invalid by the immigration authorities at the airport). I kid you not

• Confused 1

1 hour ago, bbbbooboo said:

Hmmm… the thais will do anything to get money thru overstay fines it seems . I got fined  7500 baht for 15 day overstay even though i had a visa extension(deemed to be invalid by the immigration authorities at the airport). I kid you not

It would be very interesting to the see extension stamp, and the visa it was based on, from your passport. What you cite is highly unusual. I have heard of Immigration failing to honour visas from consulates, but never extensions issued by an immigration office.

On 11/5/2023 at 6:43 PM, StayinThailand2much said:

If your flight departs after your visa (etc.) runs out, you will be on overstay for one day, no matter what time you pass through Immigration. No overstay charge for this "one day" if leaving via an airport. You will probably be ushered away to the overstay office to get an 'overstay' stamp, so better to plan for a bit more time.

This is not true. Your permission to stay starts the day you are stamped in and ends the day you are stamped out. It has nothing to do with the time of your flight. I had a 2.45 am flight which put me in overstay but I managed to get through immigration before midnight so no overstay stamp. As far as immigration was concerned my exit stamp was on the last day of my permission to stay even though my flight on on the next day.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

6 minutes ago, Felton Jarvis said:

Get airside the previous night. Sleep in the airport. Uncomfortable but it keeps you out of jail.

Silly post. 

The thread is about possible one day overstay and simple as that.

No fine and perhaps overstay stamp that has already been posted.

You do not go to jail even with significant overstay if flying out from Thailand.

Also some airports only issue boarding pass 2-3 hours prior to flight.

Getting airside early is not a given. 

• Thumbs Up 2

2 hours ago, DrJack54 said:

Post correct information or avoid posting. 

You stated "avoid jail" ... nonsense

Also check in early....

Few days ago I was flying out of Saigon to Melbourne Oz.

The boarding passes were only opened 3 hours prior to departure.

KLM allow you to check in online and print your boarding pass 30 hours before your flight.

If you only have hand luggage then no need to go to check in desk.

• Thumbs Up 1