Overstaying by hours

12 minutes ago, mlkik said:

KLM allow you to check in online and print your boarding pass 30 hours before your flight.

If you only have hand luggage then no need to go to check in desk.

Who cares re your KLM experience.

I fly almost monthly and many airlines require issue of boarding pass. 

The airline want to check eligibility to fly to destination. 

Hence want to view visa.

My most recent experience Bangkok to Saigon Oct 25 needed to obtain boarding pass.

Online check in not available as airline need to check visa.

Same for next flight Saigon to Melbourne...

Could not enter passport control until 3 hours prior to flight. 

Edited by DrJack54
  • Like 1
  • Sad 3

On 11/5/2023 at 8:40 PM, Moneyhonour said:

I was not aware that the visa the IO gave me was just 29 days. He stamped the visa from 11th of April till 10th of March.

"He stamped the visa from 11th of April till 10th of March".

He didn't just give you 29 days, if he stamped you in on April 11th with a leave by date of March 10th that would have been 334 days.

If he stamped you in on March 11th with a leave by date of April 10th that was 31 days.   If he stamped you in on March 10th with a leave by date of 11th April that was 32 days. 

On 11/5/2023 at 11:32 AM, MindfulPresence said:

If I clear the immigration before or around 6 o'clock in the morning, will that count as overstay?

Don't believe what some people are saying about just getting a stamp in your passport it is a lottery, I have been stopped once on one day overstay and received a 500baht fine. It has happened twice to my friend although one of the occasions was with me and got fined both times. The fine must depend on the mood of the immigration officer. I have noted this before but still the same people state that there will be no fine. Maybe my friend and i just look like fineable people?

16 hours ago, Caldera said:

It never fails to amaze when someone goes the extra mile trying to be smart. Even more so when they fail.

As Thai immigration counts the arrival day and as next February will have 29 days, it would have been 335 days, not 334.

Not that it matters, of course, because your comment was completely irrelevant. 

But relevant enough for you to, not only, comment on my tongue in cheek post but to actually count the number of "irrelevant" days!  

8 minutes ago, Liverpool Lou said:

But relevant enough for you to, not only, comment on my tongue in cheek post but to actually count the number of "irrelevant" days!  

I didn't count them, I added them up correctly. Something you don't seem to be familiar with. Get in touch when you need help again, three digits seem to be more than you can handle.

• Sad 1
  • Haha 2

6 hours ago, GypsyT said:

500 THB / 14 USD a big deal?

Or is it fear not to get back in?

I had 10 days fine but no problem to come back.

Seems you want to start a thread, “who has the longest overstay.”

You seem to be proud of you 10 day fine.

Think you need to be more worried about buying gf house or getting her to Spain. 

9 hours ago, Dene16 said:

Don't believe what some people are saying about just getting a stamp in your passport it is a lottery, I have been stopped once on one day overstay and received a 500baht fine. It has happened twice to my friend although one of the occasions was with me and got fined both times. The fine must depend on the mood of the immigration officer. I have noted this before but still the same people state that there will be no fine. Maybe my friend and i just look like fineable people?

When you were fined, were you departing via one of the Bangkok airports? If not, the fine is normal. I have never heard of a fine when departing with a one-day overstay from Suvarnabhumi or Don Muang.

1 hour ago, BritTim said:

When you were fined, were you departing via one of the Bangkok airports? If not, the fine is normal. I have never heard of a fine when departing with a one-day overstay from Suvarnabhumi or Don Muang.

Yes both times from Suvarnabhumi. All i would say though is that it was about 8 or 9 year's ago. Even got a receipt at the time

On 11/6/2023 at 11:15 AM, DrJack54 said:

There is a one day grace for the 500b fine however normally an overstay stamp/comment would be made..

Like many such things in Thailand these things are often applied inconsistently. I remember once at Swampy I was let through without the fine (just had a finger wagged at me). Another time at Nong Khai border post I was hit with the 500 Baht fine.

''Up to the discretion of the immigration officer'' - I've had this multiple times over the years, sometimes it's free and the last time on mukhadan (5-6 hours overstay early morning) we did need to pay the 500 baht regardless. We were 1-2 hours too late to leave the evening before due to heavy rain.

Edited by ChaiyaTH

29 minutes ago, Andrew65 said:

Like many such things in Thailand these things are often applied inconsistently. I remember once at Swampy I was let through without the fine (just had a finger wagged at me). Another time at Nong Khai border post I was hit with the 500 Baht fine.

The fine for less than 24 hours overstay is only waived when flying out. When using a land border, you will always be fined.

Like many things, people and places in Thailand, it really depends on your attitude and appearance.  I always seem to get on the authorities good side by simply being respectful, and if necessary, remorseful.

Yes, I once got through the airport a couple hours late, without the overstay stamp, simply by being friendly and courteous.

41 minutes ago, Caldera said:

The fine for less than 24 hours overstay is only waived when flying out. When using a land border, you will always be fined.

For some nationalities that also applies to whether or not you get 15 or 30 days when entering Thailand across a land border. At one time I think it was only people on G7 country passports who got 30 days?

On 11/7/2023 at 12:33 PM, DrJack54 said:

Who cares re your KLM experience.

I fly almost monthly and many airlines require issue of boarding pass. 

The airline want to check eligibility to fly to destination. 

Hence want to view visa.

My most recent experience Bangkok to Saigon Oct 25 needed to obtain boarding pass.

Online check in not available as airline need to check visa.

Same for next flight Saigon to Melbourne...

Could not enter passport control until 3 hours prior to flight. 

Many years ago I arrived by taxi at Saigon (aka HCM City) Airport 4 hours pre-departure hoping to check in early and avoid crowds (and to have a look around duty-free and have a few beers), to be informed that the check-in didn't open until 3 hours pre-flight... I did then get caught in the ensuing melee at check-in etc:biggrin:

2 hours ago, Andrew65 said:

That is all quite normal. The waiving of the fine for a one-day overstay only applies to Suvarnabhumi and Don Muang.

On 11/5/2023 at 11:50 AM, StayinThailand2much said:

It doesn't work like that. I thought so too; left well before midnight, but still got an 'overstay' stamp in my passport, cause my flight was scheduled for 2 a.m., or so, the next morning...

Not like that for me, in December 2021 came in on a TR60, Thai Airways TG910 flight home to UK was on day 61 @ 00.15 hrs, cleared outbound immigration at about 21.00 hrs without any questions or unwelcome passport stamps (no questions inbound either)..........

• 2 weeks later...
On 11/5/2023 at 9:21 AM, Pattaya57 said:

It's not the case. When you stamp through immigration you have effectively left the country and obviously cannot come back in without entering the country again

What do you mean effectively left the country ?Is this the barstool rubbish that describes some kind of no mans land where Thai law and sovereignty is somehow suspended? What if you assault sombody in the lounge or get caught shoplifting from duty free the Thai authorities  just ignore it?

When one stamps through immigration one has not left the country one simply enters and area of the airport known as airside that is restricted to authorized employees, and travellers who have undergone imigration exit processing procedures.

On 11/6/2023 at 1:29 AM, Caldera said:

If your flight is canceled or you don't make it to your gate on time to catch your flight, they won't give you another visa exempt entry.

You're right, if you leave on the last day of your permission to stay, that might well trigger an overstay situation if you don't manage to fly out on that day (for whatever reason).

I can confirm this is the case personal experience from a cancelled Northwest airlines flight to NRT  that returned to the gate prior to takeoff.

I was not given a new 30 day once  stamp back at the Immigration arrival hall, my exit stamp was cancelled. Because I had not 「effectively left the country」I imagined the ”stay to the last moment” brigade on that ill-fated flight would now have been forced on to an overstay, even though they had a good excuse. If they could not find another way out the same day. The flight departed the next morning,

Now if the flight, conducted by a foreign air-carrier  had become airborne and crossed the Thai border prior to  an air return to BKK? That would be an interesting question for an international air law exam.

Edited by Captain Monday
  • Like 1

On 11/11/2023 at 3:25 PM, Dexxter said:

I avoid all these complications and risks by always leaving a couple of days before my permitted stay expires. I know I could have an extra day or two in Thailand but I would rather just not take the risk of a cancelled or delayed flight, or even something unlikely like an accident on the way to the airport.

Last year my flight got cancelled and I could not get a replacement flight till about a week after my permission expired. I was lucky because I still had a couple of days left on my Passport stamp so I could go to Immigration and get a 30 day extension. If I cut it too fine and was already on overstay because of the cancelled flight I don't know what the consequences would have been for me, especially if was unlucky enough to be checked by police on the street.

I prefer to be safe than sorry.

Doing the same thing.  Leaving a day before my expire date.  

Edited by sqwakvfr

The following story happened to me a few Years ago:
My Flight out of Suvarnabumhi was scheduled to depart 10:00 or 10:30 pm on my last "Permitted until" Date (I was on a 90 Day Single O Visa that time.

Checked in to my flight, went through Immigration at around 8:30 PM, got the exit Stamp.

While waiting at the Lounge the message appeared that my flight was delayed substantially, and new Departure announced for 4 AM on the next Day.

In this situation, have I been on Overstay?

5 minutes ago, DrJack54 said:

No.

You cleared immigration prior to expiry of your permit and were airside (past immigration).

No issue. 

Well, I was airside, but had not left the Country (lifted off ground) technically. Some people here claim that you haven't left the Country until the plane either starts taxiing, or lifts off ground, or crosses the border airborne.

10 minutes ago, Rastaputin said:

Well, I was airside, but had not left the Country (lifted off ground) technically. Some people here claim that you haven't left the Country until the plane either starts taxiing, or lifts off ground, or crosses the border airborne.

You have past immigration.

That's what counts. 

• Like 1
  • Thumbs Up 1